Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It used to be that the Navigation voice was always an offset higher than the currently playing music... and you could set that offset in the settings. Set it once and you're done. And if you turn the music up or down with the scroll wheel, the nav voice would increase/decrease to compensate.

NOW, those two volumes are independent, and if you scroll wheel up or down during the nav, it increases the nav, but if you scroll up or down during the music, it increases the music. If you increase the music volume, the next time the nav speaks you might not be able to hear it... you then have to increase it too.

This was a dumb change, and definitely violates the principle of least astonishment.

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
10. I wish you could select between multiple drivers before getting in by simply pushing the door latch multiple times. Once, like normal, to get the primary drive. Press twice to get the secondary driver, and 3 times for tertiary driver. I'm 6'2", and I used to be married to someone 4'11", and you did not want to be in the driver's seat when it attempted to go to her settings.
You aren't the first to request the Darnel mod.

But since Christine was Elon's inspiration for Teslas, not gonna happen.

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
Here's my actual biggest minor issue: When our Model Y's middle rear headrest is anywhere other than all the way down, it has the most horrible fingernails on a chalkboard rattle. It's SO BAD. I have no idea how it can be that bad.

We only put it up to keep the dogs in the way back. Awesome that it works and we don't need a dog grate, but wow, major fail.

My simple request is to fix up the software that allows me to play mp3 files from a usb stick. When I get out of the car at home, remember the position of the last song played and resume from there when I drive again. Evidently when the car goes to sleep, it forgets all of that and I have to re-select music to play. Pretty annoying...
If you use the voice command "switch to USB", it will resume playing from where you left off. Using the touchscreen to select USB doesn't remember the last position. But I agree - the software should be fixed!

Here's another one that could have been very useful today - Identify gravel roads and also offer a 'avoid gravel roads' option.

For those of you thinking about visiting Montezuma's Well, north of Phoenix, Arizona, Tesla navigation will ignore the direct route and take you up to 179 to get to the Well. That takes you down a 3.5-mile gravel road. On the way out, nav insisted on taking me back that way even though the direct route south to I-17 is paved. It seemed to think that road didn't go through as once I turned onto it, nav kept trying to get me to u-turn for a while. The road is fine. It's the one with the big signage for Montezuma's Well and McGuireville.

I want energy calculation to be compartmentalized for regular or towing.

When I hook up the trailer, the the car still thinks I get 350 wh/mile. Expected arrival charge are way off. Similarly after driving a few days at 550wh/m, unhitch the trailer and get wildly pessimistic charging requirements.

I use ABRP of course, but would be nice for the car to separate the data.

Reactions: Ben W and DblOSmith
I want energy calculation to be compartmentalized for regular or towing.

When I hook up the trailer, the the car still thinks I get 350 wh/mile. Expected arrival charge are way off. Similarly after driving a few days at 550wh/m, unhitch the trailer and get wildly pessimistic charging requirements.

I use ABRP of course, but would be nice for the car to separate the data.
That seems like such an easy fix. As soon as it goes into trailer mode, It defaults to expected 550wh/mile and shows a warning that this is happening. The mileage corrects as it drives and keeps those corrections until it is unplugged then defaults to 320wh/mile until corrected.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I was going to ask how he got the entire gallon into the car. I have never had a car that took the entire gallon.

We once had a car salesman, in his walk through when we picked up our new car, proudly point out that it took exactly a gallon of fluid. My husband said, that's useless, it means the car has to be completely out of fluid in order to put in another gallon. So every time I hear about a car taking a full jug of windshield wiper fluid, I think of that.

Another reason to not want a full gallon in your reservoir, is that it takes a long time to use up the fluid (not as big an issue with a Tesla since we are constantly spraying in order to stop dry swiping and never clean the windshield while filling up at the gas station.) We once had a long summer road trip so put in bug-detergent fluid which became a block of ice the following winter since we hadn't emptied the full reservoir over the good weather. Thankfully, I quickly figured out that was the thumping noise we heard from the front of the car when we accelerated! Now I will never use anything but -40C rated fluid.

Personally, I'm looking forward to shrink-flation on these jugs so that in the future I will be able to put in a full 3L at a time since I no longer have a garage in which to leave the partly empty jug so have to carry it around with me in the frunk.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve