Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see the headrests adjustable or removable. When flipping the rear backrests down for more trunk space, I always forget and then have to go back and move the front seats forward.

At least the rear ones are removable in the MY. You need a 'tool' (I keep a small flat head screw driver in the car along with a pry tool for the hitch cover) but at least I can use the car-seat I bought in my car (that would not be true if I upgraded to an MX so I wiped that thought from my head.)

But I agree adjustable would be wonderful in front and back. I find them uncomfortable for myself and end up reclining the seat more than I have in other cars. Again, at least the rear seats recline a bit in the MY.

Map route tracing. I'd love to be able to just draw a scenic route on google maps using my mouse... then send that route to the maps and have it navigate.

Or just follow the any route Google Maps has calculated. When it is sent to the car, it changes to whatever the car wants.

Worse, it allows you to think everything was sent to the car just fine. There is no way for it to generate an error message in the app saying the map received won't work.

Recently it got really confused because it was a new subdivision, mapped in Google Maps but not in the Nav's map, and so it just rejected the instructions completely. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the Nav before leaving home so had to remember what Google Maps had shown (viewed the night before) and that got me to the general area where I could pull over and pull out my phone to get the rest of the instructions.

I want to turn off the music and have it stick. Somehow the car thinks I want to listen to something. NO! If I want to listen, I will turn it on.

That last time that happened to us, it was "Dawn Lights" which had started playing because the car didn't understand the voice command "Dome Lights On."

And we couldn't figure out how to get it to stop playing every time we opened the car regardless of the phone key used. It was in Spotify and I looked for some thumbs down to trigger in the song either in my phone app or web app, but that doesn't exist.

I think we finally ended up playing something else and that removed it from the memory. I have a similar problem with podcasts but they are just annoying, they don't cause my skin to crawl like this song did. And with the song incident we were transporting little one over several days (hence wanting the dome lights on to see if he'd fallen asleep), so each time it started playing we were at the passenger side rear door putting him into his seat, so unable to just hit the pause button. He's an active toddler so leaving him 'loose' in the car while going around to the driver's door to shut off the dam& music was not an option.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Sorry if this was posted earlier. I am wondering if it is possible to set the entertainment volume to be muted while navigation system is reading out the next turn instruction. Currently this does not happen and navigation is competing with radio, Spotify etc whatever happens to be playing at whatever the volume. If not possible I would like this to be considered as a feature. Thank you

When I am in passenger seat setting up a nav and my wife has yet another o get in the car, she opens rear door and puts things inside.

She then closes the door and the screen turns off.

Now I could do the nav with my hand putting pressure on drivers seat, but it’s not the first thing that I think off when setting nav etc.

Would be so much better if it simply didn’t turn off screen if someone was sat in passenger seat.

Here's another one that could have been very useful today - Identify gravel roads and also offer a 'avoid gravel roads' option.

Similar request. Ignore minor roads.

In UK, minor roads, often single track in places, typically have a national 60mph limit. That usually makes them on paper faster than surrounding major roads so nav will select them as fastest route, even though you are unlikely to ever achieve near the speed limit, or worse, have to creep past oncoming cars scraping hedges on one side and wing mirrors on other.

Particularly frustrating if you are on a detour/diversion and it reroutes you via these roads.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I wondered too, until I started doing it. Turns out there are any number of times you want to toss something into your car when home in the garage. It also helps if unloading stuff from the back seat. It just is convenient.

I've thought how it might be different with an EV in terms of climate control, but I don't see any particular downside. Try it for a week, see if you become a convert.

It became kind of a ritual for me coming home. I'd drop the windows about the time I went through the gate. Sort of connect with the environment a bit.

Where I live, even though I have regular pest control, there are all sorts of insects in and around my garage (spiders, grasshopers, earwigs, moths). I dont want even the possibility of any of that stuff in my car, so parking with my windows down is a very hard "no" for me.

I even lock my car in the garage, but thats a habit from my days of apartment living (prior to home ownership). For me , Parked car = locked car, and locked car = windows up, but I understand many people dont do that.

I like user choice though, and it seems like a fairly innocent request even though I would never use it. Playing devils advocate for a moment, what happens if someone gets something stolen out of their car, and blames "connie mode" for having their windows down? While it would be their responsibility, we also both know that lots (and lots and lots and LOOOTTTSSS) of people try like heck to shift something that is their responsibility onto something else when "something bad" happens.

See all the "why did my car let me run into my garage door?" or "why didnt my car stop me from running into person XXX" or "I was using summon, car ran into XXXX and Tesla wont take responsibility!!" posts.

It'd be really nice if nav's Recents list included all destinations from the last few days (except the current location) rather than a random subset. There's no value in sprinkling in locations from months ago and a thousand miles away.

And it'd be useful to be able to remove destinations from the list, like destinations that no longer exist and destinations people want to hide.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It'd be nice to have easy controls for turning off the interior and headlights... and really simple to implement.

Sometimes I pull up to a place when it's dark outside, but need to sit in the car for a bit until my passenger comes out. I don't want the interior lights or headlights on, blinding people or attracting unwanted attention.

I resort to opening the charge port to kill the headlights, and starting a game to kill the interior lights. Seems silly... those controls should be on the main screen.

It'd be really nice if nav's Recents list included all destinations from the last few days (except the current location) rather than a random subset. There's no value in sprinkling in locations from months ago and a thousand miles away.

And it'd be useful to be able to remove destinations from the list, like destinations that no longer exist and destinations people want to hide.

Yesterday I took the car to the museum, and had used NAV. Later in the day my husband was driving and we were headed back (to find a lost item) and it was rush hour so I pulled up the Recents to find the best route and the museum wasn't on it. After a moment of confusion, I spotted the words "These are <insert driver's profile name> recent destinations" This was the first that I've seen the driver profile including the recent destinations by driver only. This was the subject of another thread and there are pluses and minuses to this new setting. For me it is a minus since I don't use the car as much but do tend to go to the same destinations as my husband. But I can see it being a privacy bonus, especially in rentals or loaners.

I resort to opening the charge port to kill the headlights, and starting a game to kill the interior lights. Seems silly... those controls should be on the main screen.

My husband does the charge port trick. The voice command "Dome Lights off" is easy enough, but of course, that is assuming the actual command will work (although, using my recent example in post 43, that might have been how I could have stopped that damn song playing!)

Just for reference, at least in the Model Y the lights themselves are switches to turn the lights on and off. (Obviously this only deals with the lights you can reach from the driver's seat.) We tend to forget there may be an actual switched light on our cars, as opposed to one controlled by the screen.

3. Interior Dome:

Turn on or off the interior dome (map) lights. When you unlock Model Y, open a door when exiting, or shift into Park, all inside dome lights turn on if set to AUTO. By tapping the lens of an individual dome light, you can switch it on or off manually. When you turn on a dome light manually, it switches off when the Model Y turns off. If the Model Y was already turned off when you turned it on manually, it will turn off after 60 minutes.

After a moment of confusion, I spotted the words "These are <insert driver's profile name> recent destinations" This was the first that I've seen the driver profile including the recent destinations by driver only.
This reminds me that it'd be nice to bring back the calendar filter.

When I enter the car it might auto navigate to an upcoming destination that's not my current destination. So end that trip but it comes back since it's also on my wife's calendar, sync'd to my phone. Pick a different destination from the calendar and have to scroll through 2+ calendars. (It'd help if the touch screen showed all the destination names, not just their addresses.)

A fitting item for this thread.

New suggestion, minor peeve that gets me every time I approach when the car is locked: the little catch when I pull the handle on the door as the car is unlocking itself. It almost always opens, but not before resisting for a fraction of a second. It's a constant reminder that the tech is not actually seamless, but has a little hiccup. I use it as a reminder that this car is fallible, take a deep breath, something's not going to work as expected.

As a comparison, if I am able to unlock the car first, the door opens smoothly, so I know what it's supposed to feel like.

Just fix it. Start unlocking a half second earlier. Make it smooth.

(this is with the iphone unlocked and the app active, all settings maximized for connection, tried debugging every way, don't need any help with any of that).

I would like to see Tesla add back lit door handles.
Good idea. Would chrome handles suffice?

I needed a flashlight at night for a rental Model Y with black handles on black paint (really nice to rent a Tesla, download my driver profile, and get remote phone access). I don't recall needing that for my Model 3 with chrome handles on white.