Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please provide voice feedback for voice commands.

The voice commands are very convenient because I don't have to take my eyes off the road while digging through menus on the display. However, much of that convenience is lost because I often have to peer at the fine print on the display to see whether my command was correctly understood. Text-to-speech software is well understood. Please let me hear the feedback.

Please enable the audio system to remember what media I was listening to on my phone, so it can pick up where it left off.

When driving by myself, I usually listen to an audiobook on my phone via Bluetooth. I'm annoyed by the message that frequently pops up to "choose media on phone", not least because I have to stop so I can dig out my phone and navigate to the right app.

I know it's possible to remember the media, because my 2013 Honda CRV does it flawlessly.

My car should send me a reminder if it's parked at home, it's getting late, and it's not connected to charge as usual.

My garage has an outlet right by the charging port, and I normally connect as soon as I park. However, if I have packages to carry from the trunk into the house, I'd have to duck under the charge cable. If I neglect to come back and connect, I would appreciate a reminder.

Here are some more 'easy ones'. First, I'd like to have bolder fonts for the header entries in the menus to make things easier to spot while driving. Perhaps even a limited choice of alternative menu sizes. Second, I'd like an 'analog mode', where I can have some specific circular analog gauges, like a clock, a speedometer, and a 'fuel' gauge that shows in 1/8th increments.

And a big one. Instead of displaying the EPA Estimated Range left or charge percentage, add an option to display the actual estimated range based on recent driving. The same one that shows estimated range remaining when you check your battery usage.

Reactions: OxBrew
In the Climate Control screen, I'd like a Heat On/Off button right next the button that turns AC On/Off. This would be an easier way of having the fans blow without heating or cooling.
Did you know you can say, “Disable heater” via voice commands and it does just that? I read that here a couple of years ago. I’d rather have a button as you suggest. But this does work with the voice command. Unfortunately you have to do it every time you get in the car if you still want it off.

Did you know you can say, “Disable heater” via voice commands and it does just that? I read that here a couple of years ago. I’d rather have a button as you suggest. But this does work with the voice command.
Interesting. It echoes "Disabling heater" but what it does is turn on the A/C!

It's annoying that I have to turn the temperature up to 75-77°F on a hot day for the A/C to make me comfortable and not too cold, and then when the outside temperature drops a degree or two the heat comes on, making me too hot. Maybe my car's sensors need calibrating?

Did you know you can say, “Disable heater” via voice commands and it does just that? I read that here a couple of years ago. I’d rather have a button as you suggest. But this does work with the voice command. Unfortunately you have to do it every time you get in the car if you still want it off.
I just tried that and as Transformer says, it turns on the A/C - not exactly what I want.

And a big one. Instead of displaying the EPA Estimated Range left or charge percentage, add an option to display the actual estimated range based on recent driving. The same one that shows estimated range remaining when you check your battery usage.

This one is so seemingly easy, and also so seemingly on point, I have always thought there is some regulatory reason why it isnt this way, because its obvious that it should be that way.

I dont know this, but (for example) I remember BMW removing the option for owners to easily defeat the "auto start / stop" engine system in their cars, that automatically stopped the engine every time you stopped the car, then started it back up automatically (while warning in their own manual that this feature could lead to additional starter wear).

When BMW first introduced this, it was an option in the idrive system to disable it. Later, that was removed and you had to code it off (BMW peeps know what I mean by that). When we dug into "why" that changed, we found it was basically because BMW was told that the gas mileage they quoted was based on the start / stop system being active, and if it was easily defeatable it didnt count.

That was sort of a huge deal for gas mileage not because of user facing marketing, but because of CAFE / CARB regulations........

Back to Tesla land........

The above suggestion is so obvious, and make so much sense, and would be so easy to implement (data already there) that it has to be a conscious decision to NOT be as mentioned by @phxazcraig ... so there must be "some reason" as it cant be an oversite. It could just be Tesla hubris, but just as easily be some sort of obscure regulation.

We have a car that prioritizes fart noises over windshield wiper performance…and you’re asking why?
Thank you.

I was wondering why it was important for the screen to ID police and ambulance vehicles. But not fire trucks.

All three are vehicles that it doesn't matter if my car draws pretty pictures of them on the screen or not.

It does matter if the car is in any sort of driver assist and deliberately does not behave as it should around such vehicles (such as driving them when they are stopped on the road with their lights flashing) but the again, having a pretty picture of the vehicle on the screen will do the driver no effin good in such a situation because that's when L2 requires the driver to be paying attention and taking over, not driving by watching the screen instead of looking out the windshield. Our cars are not video games.

Therefore, thank you for answering my question. Great graphics on the screen are as important as fart noises, therefore, obviously something that Elon should gift us with this holiday season (although personally, I'd rather have them fix that problem of cars driving into stopped emergency vehicles or passing stopped school buses with their lights flashing.)

Reactions: Transformer
Thank you.

I was wondering why it was important for the screen to ID police and ambulance vehicles. But not fire trucks.

All three are vehicles that it doesn't matter if my car draws pretty pictures of them on the screen or not.

It does matter if the car is in any sort of driver assist and deliberately does not behave as it should around such vehicles (such as driving them when they are stopped on the road with their lights flashing) but the again, having a pretty picture of the vehicle on the screen will do the driver no effin good in such a situation because that's when L2 requires the driver to be paying attention and taking over, not driving by watching the screen instead of looking out the windshield. Our cars are not video games.

Therefore, thank you for answering my question. Great graphics on the screen are as important as fart noises, therefore, obviously something that Elon should gift us with this holiday season (although personally, I'd rather have them fix that problem of cars driving into stopped emergency vehicles or passing stopped school buses with their lights flashing.)
Just to be clear, I was joking about the absurdity of all of it! (And also to be clear, I love my Model 3, imperfect wipers, and all.)

I'd rather the map show emergency vehicles (at least those running code) and pop an alert, though this would probably require a "crowdsourced" type solution including other cars since I don't see said vehicles getting special transponders. Many times we'll hear them but not know where they are or if they're a factor. But the speed trap alerts like on google maps would probably be better.

When I was riding and driving the big red loud truck years ago I sometimes wished for a giant cow-catcher on the front, but I digress...

Reactions: DblOSmith
Just to be clear, I was joking about the absurdity of all of it!

Yes, I got it. That's why I joked back you had explained it to me; fart noises = useless pretty graphics.

Both are useless when wiper issues and driving into emergency vehicles still exist but given Tesla's prioritization (let's distract the owner from the faults of the car with useless crap) neither of us should be overly surprised if it comes to be.