Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would really like a way to limit the wipers to low-speed when set to auto, even if it means removing the manual hyper-speed wiper setting, too. In 25 years of driving I've never encountered a situation where I wanted to wipers to go max speed, yet the auto-wipers (rain sensor on my old P85 and camera-based on my new Model S) both select max speed frequently.

Let me toggle the Auto setting for seat heaters/steering wheel heater on or off and have it apply to the shortcut on the main screen icon bar.

I can toggle Auto (for seat heaters) in the main HVAC settings page. I can toggle the Auto (for both) in the app.

I never want the auto setting. It's always about 2-3 bacons low for my cold back.

Let me cycle through 3-2-1-0-3-2-1-0 etc bacons, without having to jump into Auto. It is insulting.

Extra Credit: if the seat heaters are off, and I click the icon, TURN THEM ON 3 BACONS!!! If I am hitting the icon, I want heat.

There is NO scenario where I want to turn the seat heaters on to Auto, but I want the Auto setting to tell me I don't need any heat, we'll leave them on 0 bacons, happy now? Yet, that is what happens nearly every time. First click: Auto, 0 bacons. WTH? It has to be below 0 C outside before the Auto setting gives me even 1 bacon. Total unreconstructed FAIL.

How's that for a most minor of suggestions? Thanks.

Double extra credit: redesign the seat heater UI so when I click the icon, I get a large half circle with the 4 choices like slices of pie that I can swipe through to set (0, 1, 2, 3 bacons).

So eliminates the cycling, reduces eyeballs off the road time.

You're welcome Tesla UI, you can have this free of charge. (lol I crack myself up)

Reactions: Transformer
I would really like a way to limit the wipers to low-speed when set to auto, even if it means removing the manual hyper-speed wiper setting, too. In 25 years of driving I've never encountered a situation where I wanted to wipers to go max speed,
Same here. 95% of the time I'm on 2/4. If it's monsooning, i'm 3/4 and I've had to slow to 20mph for visibility, anyway. the frantic 4/4 movement is cartoonish, ridiculous, and unnecessary.

Extra Credit: if the seat heaters are off, and I click the icon, TURN THEM ON 3 BACONS!!! If I am hitting the icon, I want heat.

---

How's that for a most minor of suggestions? Thanks.

Double extra credit: redesign the seat heater UI so when I click the icon, I get a large half circle with the 4 choices like slices of pie that I can swipe through to set (0, 1, 2, 3 bacons).

So eliminates the cycling, reduces eyeballs off the road time.
I was thinking the exact thing this morning. I was frustrated cycling through bacon settings. I wish it would come up like pie or a horizontal option or spectrum selection. What might be fun is if the car reads less than 40 degrees American outside, next to the climate is the aux. climate button: seat heaters pie style, wheel heater pie, defrost, etc... just a quick expansion.

Reactions: OxBrew
I was thinking the exact thing this morning. I was frustrated cycling through bacon settings. I wish it would come up like pie or a horizontal option or spectrum selection. What might be fun is if the car reads less than 40 degrees American outside, next to the climate is the aux. climate button: seat heaters pie style, wheel heater pie, defrost, etc... just a quick expansion.
You had me at American, bacon, and heater pie. Yes please.

After 7 years driving a P85 and upgrading to a new Model S Long Range, there are a few features missing from the new car that I want back:
- The wireless range for opening the charge port door used to be longer. My muscle memory makes me press the button on the charger handle as I pick it up, but that doesn't open the charge port anymore. I have to move the charger handle half-way to the car and press the button again.
- I liked the nice big power/regen meter with units labeled and indicators for exactly what any power or regen limits are when the car is cold. The new car just has a little unlabeled bar at the bottom that I can barely see in even the best lighting conditions.
- I liked having trip information, tire pressures, etc. visible in front of me as I drive. Instead there's just a bunch of blank space on the right of the instrument cluster since the speed limit info barely takes up any space and the left side of the instrument cluster is completely blank if I'm not using navigation.

Reactions: OxBrew
On the minor nits - choose a destination and pick an alternative route. At the first disengagement/re-engagement of FSD (typically in the first few hundred feet) it forgets you wanted the alternative routing and you are back to the default. o_O
This one is actually now working on 2023.44.30.*. Pick an alternate route, start FSD, you intervene for some reason, re-enable FSD - it now stays on the alternative route.

One down. A gazillion to go. :D

Charging below 50%.....it doesn’t bother me so much at 50% but nonetheless a few people believe in keeping the charge low...while staying plugged in
I’ve often wondered about this. I’ve concluded that while charging below 50% may help, from what we’ve seen, 55% is pretty good in terms of reducing battery degradation. And so Elon has likely decided that allowing people to charge below 50% would cause Range, anxiety issues, and tarnish the brand. I can’t say he’s wrong on that. Ironically, just yesterday I forgot to charge my car and I had to drive three hours. I made it home with 5%. It was stressful!

Reactions: Bouba
I wish there was a setting for the horn. Or a "toot" side and a "HOOOOOOONK" side for the horn. I prefer horn buttons, but apparently most people don't, and I get that. You can really get out frustration with a hard central horn, but it's harder to "toot".

Can you elaborate on what you mean by temperature change?
Temperature range by which I meant setting a low-high, e.g. heat to at least 66 and A/C when above 72. I don't ever want to feel A/C in the winter so I constantly have to set to manual to prevent it. My home thermostat does this flawlessly.
- I liked the nice big power/regen meter with units labeled and indicators for exactly what any power or regen limits are when the car is cold. The new car just has a little unlabeled bar at the bottom that I can barely see in even the best lighting conditions.
Agree and energy screen isn't quite a substitute.

Reactions: Transformer
Temperature range by which I meant setting a low-high, e.g. heat to at least 66 and A/C when above 72. I don't ever want to feel A/C in the winter so I constantly have to set to manual to prevent it. My home thermostat does this flawlessly.
That would be nice. And I do the same thing - manual because I hate when auto feels like it's blowing cool air in winter. But I'll switch to auto for a while if windows start fogging up inside.

I would use Auto hvac settings more if it would always go back to my original settings when I turned it off. Front defrost in particular bugs me, because when I turn it off, Auto stays on, regardless of my previous settings.

The whole thing's a cluster, and needs to be redesigned.

New suggestion, minor peeve that gets me every time I approach when the car is locked: the little catch when I pull the handle on the door as the car is unlocking itself. It almost always opens, but not before resisting for a fraction of a second. It's a constant reminder that the tech is not actually seamless, but has a little hiccup. I use it as a reminder that this car is fallible, take a deep breath, something's not going to work as expected.

As a comparison, if I am able to unlock the car first, the door opens smoothly, so I know what it's supposed to feel like.

Just fix it. Start unlocking a half second earlier. Make it smooth.

(this is with the iphone unlocked and the app active, all settings maximized for connection, tried debugging every way, don't need any help with any of that).
Use Shortcuts and tell Siri to “unlock Tesla” as you approach the car.

I would really love for premium connectivity to include 5G connectivity and hotspot capability. I wouldn’t mind paying for it so I don’t have to finagle away from my home WIfi to my phone hotspot if I sit in my driveway or garage. Also passengers which sometimes includes me, can connect their tablets to the car and play/browse/stream