Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a Model S last week and realized I don't have the option below in the vehicle settings. I believe this setting drives the functionality in the subject line. I called the SC and they are researching this, but does anybody else with a new Model S have / don't have this?

Thanks.

upload_2017-9-14_14-25-18.png

My 75D was built last month, so I guess I got the "old" premium package sans biodefense filter because most of those features were made standard. I guess ultimately my questions are:
  • Is "three position dynamic led turning lights" another name for "adaptive front lighting system"?
  • If yes, should there be a vehicle setting to toggle AFS on/off?
  • If no, is "three position dynamic led turning lights" an always on/passive feature?
Thanks.

My 75D was built last month, so I guess I got the "old" premium package sans biodefense filter because most of those features were made standard. I guess ultimately my questions are:
  • Is "three position dynamic led turning lights" another name for "adaptive front lighting system"?
  • If yes, should there be a vehicle setting to toggle AFS on/off?
  • If no, is "three position dynamic led turning lights" an always on/passive feature?
Thanks.

1. No adaptive front lighting is when the Low Beam turn's when the wheel is turned. And Tesla's don't they use the 3 position dynamic turning light's. Which are basically (In my opinion) Another version of cornering lights built into the headlights.

3. They are always on my P100D.

A1, A2, and A3 are the 3 Position Dynamic LED Turning Lights. And give a thanks to the wonderful person who already had this labeled.

7hinbuj.jpg

Last edited:
1. No adaptive front lighting is when the Low Beam turn's when the wheel is turned. And Tesla's don't they use the 3 position dynamic turning light's. Which are basically (In my opinion) Another version of cornering lights built into the headlights.

3. They are always on my P100D.

A1, A2, and A3 are the 3 Position Dynamic LED Turning Lights. And give a thanks to the wonderful person who already had this labeled.

7hinbuj.jpg

Thanks! I'll definitely have to look closely at my car and test turning the steering wheel.

I took delivery of a Model S last week and realized I don't have the option below in the vehicle settings. I believe this setting drives the functionality in the subject line. I called the SC and they are researching this, but does anybody else with a new Model S have / don't have this?

Thanks.

View attachment 247643

I don't have the adaptive headlight setting either. Built 8/17. I don't see any changes while turning. No PUP but this should have been standard equipment for my date of manufacture. Hmmm.

Yes. I have both the ambient lighting and SAS. I'm not sure about my production start but the end was 8/29. This was an inventory purchase. I have submitted (two days ago) a question regarding this omission on my tesla website but haven't heard back yet. I will report back if I hear anything.

Ok, I took delivery this Monday, my car was built in early September and I don't seem to have the A1, A2, A3 LEDs on the top row (see picture below). I tested it and there is no change in lighting when I turn the wheel. I took a snapshot of Design Studio when I placed the order, and it definitely listed "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility" as a standard feature, as it does today. I have SAS, ambient lighting, 4.3s drivetrain, and APH3, so what gives? I'm going to have to ask my DS about that.

Is there anyone on here who received a base vehicle recently who has a headlight with the 2nd row of LEDs?

IMG_9699.JPG

Just for clarity, we are talking about the dynamic LED turning lights, which I think replaced AFS, which was probably for the old non-LED headlight system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bebop
@speedy, can you MS Paint your image and point to the row you're referring to?

I got my car back today finally and tested this. When in drive (park doesn't work), turning the wheel in either direction will turn on a light near the fog light cluster. It's pretty dim and almost unnoticeable while driving.

Agreed with the assessment of others... it sucks.

No reason to paint it. If you compare my picture with the one P85DBeast posted above, you can see that the 3 LEDs marked by A1, A2, A3 do not exist on my picture. There is just a piece of plastic in its place. These LEDs are supposed to turn on in sequence as you turn the wheel, thus lighting the corners.

I tested my lights in Park, so did not see any other lights turn on. I'll have to test it in Drive and see if there are LEDs in the fog light cluster that turn on. Perhaps this is the extent of the standard LED turning lights, not like the A1, A2, A3, which are probably part of some Premium package.

There is another thread going on in the model X forum about exactly the same thing. Like here, the questions seems to be what exactly is the standard "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility"? I did check my fog lights in Drive, and an extra LED does appear to light when you turn the wheel, but that's about it. That is not "Three-position" like the A1, A2, A3 LEDs we see in the headlight above. It seems Tesla may have misrepresented that standard feature in the description and base cars without any premium package don't get the extra LEDs in the headlight, but just the little cornering light in the fog light.

I would save all the web pages now describing the feature before Tesla changes them. I see a bunch of unhappy folks, including myself. It's not that I wanted or expected those extra cornering LEDs in my headlamps, but if they said the feature is there, it should be....

Reactions: xborg