Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey...I am having the same issue on my Model X (and have been actively participating in discussions on the model X thread). Could one of you take a picture of where on the fog light fixture you see this additional light? I don't see any light turn on / off when I turn the steering wheel (when in D). Not sure if this is a Model S versus Model X difference.

This certainly seems be false advertising and clearly misleading the customer. I have a screenshot (attached) of the premium package prior to July which had the LED cornering lights listed and a screenshot of that being part of the standard package post july.

Attachments

• premiumpackage_prejuly.png
    premiumpackage_prejuly.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • standardpackage_postjuly.png
    standardpackage_postjuly.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 150
Here is an update, with a picture of my fog light assembly showing the element that lights with the turn.

2017-09-23_121510.jpg

The element marked "Cornering Light turns on when the wheel is turned in the direction of the light. It is fairly dim and is seemingly only useful as a curb cornering light.

I also heard back from my DS who said he checked my build and said I should have the adaptive lighting that used to be part of the Premium Package as part of my vehicle's standard package. But clearly I don't as my headlight assembly doesn't have those LEDs and I don't have the option on my screen. I've sent him those pictures and we'll see what he comes back with.

Here is an update, with a picture of my fog light assembly showing the element that lights with the turn.

View attachment 249477

The element marked "Cornering Light turns on when the wheel is turned in the direction of the light. It is fairly dim and is seemingly only useful as a curb cornering light.

I also heard back from my DS who said he checked my build and said I should have the adaptive lighting that used to be part of the Premium Package as part of my vehicle's standard package. But clearly I don't as my headlight assembly doesn't have those LEDs and I don't have the option on my screen. I've sent him those pictures and we'll see what he comes back with.

Thanks! Let us know what he says about the adaptive lighting. Many times, the DS says one thing and then comes back with another.

Here is a photo of my model x fog light assembly. It's different than the S and I don't see the cornering lights that you are mentioning. (photo was taken with flash on so ignore the light on top of the assembly -> that's the flash reflection).

IMG_0226.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 87
Déjà vu! I’m hoping this doesn’t shape up to be similar to “fog-gate” circa 2013, but the factory has a history of silent deletions regarding exterior lighting. In the case of fog lights, when called out at that time, Elon said they were deleted without announcement because they didn’t work very well so it was better to remove them (even though they were part of the purchased package at the the time). Everyone should read this to calibrate your expectations: An open letter To Mr. Elon Musk regarding fog lights | Tesla

Reactions: njxman
And just for the folks in the TLDR category, if you took delivery of any S or X that was produced in late October to early September onwards, which headlight assembly do you have and did you buy the PUP?

Headlight with Adaptive LEDs A1, A2, A3:

View attachment 249489

OR, headlight with NO adaptive LEDs:

View attachment 249490

Mine is exactly like yours. Looking closely, it looks like it's just a chrome(-plated) insert where the A1-3 LEDs are located. I emailed my DS, OA, and someone in CS as well about this.

I just used the "escalate to executive" option and referred the recipient to both this thread and the S thread and hopefully get some clarity on their definition of standard "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights"

Perhaps anybody in the same boat do the same to get some traction on this at Tesla?

I just used the "escalate to executive" option and referred the recipient to both this thread and the S thread and hopefully get some clarity on their definition of standard "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights"

Perhaps anybody in the same boat do the same to get some traction on this at Tesla?

I also sent them a message. Here's what I wrote in case anyone wants to be lazy and customize a message crafted similar to mine:

I took delivery of my car on 9/12. Friday night I was driving down a dark, windy road and noticed that my headlights didn't illuminate the curves. After parking, I looked in my manual to see how to turn on the three-point adaptive headlights. I found the instructions, but the setting to enable/disable the feature was not available. I have since become aware that this is a widespread problem with recent deliveries of S/X cars with no premium upgrade. Although the three-point adaptive headlights were integrated into the base models as part of the updates on July 22nd, it appears that manufacturing has not been putting them into non-premium cars!

We have come to this conclusion by comparing a lot of recent deliveries on the Tesla Motors Club website. Please see the following threads for more information:
Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)
Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

I'd like to know what Tesla will do to resolve this issue for us.

Hopefully it is just a factory mistake... If it helps, my non-PuP car produced January -17 have the chrome plates, not the extra leds. At that time, Adaptive lights were a PuP option only. I have no real fog lights either, just a black plastic insert.

It looks to be an entirely different headlight assembly. I don't think this is as easy as adding some led light bulbs.

Would like to know if ANYONE has the adaptive leds with a build date after July 1st?....If so do they also have PUP or not? Thanks.