TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by hulk2k17, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ab26

ab26 Member

Hey...I am having the same issue on my Model X (and have been actively participating in discussions on the model X thread). Could one of you take a picture of where on the fog light fixture you see this additional light? I don't see any light turn on / off when I turn the steering wheel (when in D). Not sure if this is a Model S versus Model X difference.

This certainly seems be false advertising and clearly misleading the customer. I have a screenshot (attached) of the premium package prior to July which had the LED cornering lights listed and a screenshot of that being part of the standard package post july.

Attached Files:

2. speedy

speedy Member

Here is an update, with a picture of my fog light assembly showing the element that lights with the turn.

2017-09-23_121510.jpg

The element marked "Cornering Light turns on when the wheel is turned in the direction of the light. It is fairly dim and is seemingly only useful as a curb cornering light.

I also heard back from my DS who said he checked my build and said I should have the adaptive lighting that used to be part of the Premium Package as part of my vehicle's standard package. But clearly I don't as my headlight assembly doesn't have those LEDs and I don't have the option on my screen. I've sent him those pictures and we'll see what he comes back with.

3. speedy

speedy Member

And just for the folks in the TLDR category, if you took delivery of any S or X that was produced in late October to early September onwards, which headlight assembly do you have and did you buy the PUP?

Headlight with Adaptive LEDs A1, A2, A3:

AFS.jpg

OR, headlight with NO adaptive LEDs:

NOAFS.jpg

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. ab26

ab26 Member

Thanks! Let us know what he says about the adaptive lighting. Many times, the DS says one thing and then comes back with another.

5. ab26

ab26 Member

Here is a photo of my model x fog light assembly. It's different than the S and I don't see the cornering lights that you are mentioning. (photo was taken with flash on so ignore the light on top of the assembly -> that's the flash reflection).

IMG_0226.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Ross9733

Ross9733 Member

Big question is tesla describes it as their "new" adaptive lighting system.

7. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Déjà vu! I’m hoping this doesn’t shape up to be similar to “fog-gate” circa 2013, but the factory has a history of silent deletions regarding exterior lighting. In the case of fog lights, when called out at that time, Elon said they were deleted without announcement because they didn’t work very well so it was better to remove them (even though they were part of the purchased package at the the time). Everyone should read this to calibrate your expectations: An open letter To Mr. Elon Musk regarding fog lights | Tesla

• Like x 1
  8. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Mine is exactly like yours. Looking closely, it looks like it's just a chrome(-plated) insert where the A1-3 LEDs are located. I emailed my DS, OA, and someone in CS as well about this.

9. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

In case Tesla changes the options tomorrow, here's a screencap of the standard options as of today, 9/23/17 tesla-model-s.JPG

10. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

I just used the "escalate to executive" option and referred the recipient to both this thread and the S thread and hopefully get some clarity on their definition of standard "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights"

Perhaps anybody in the same boat do the same to get some traction on this at Tesla?

11. James*

James* Member

I also sent them a message. Here's what I wrote in case anyone wants to be lazy and customize a message crafted similar to mine:

12. daktari

daktari Member

Hopefully it is just a factory mistake... If it helps, my non-PuP car produced January -17 have the chrome plates, not the extra leds. At that time, Adaptive lights were a PuP option only. I have no real fog lights either, just a black plastic insert.

13. James*

James* Member

I received a response from the Escalation Team saying they're looking into this and will keep me updated.

14. Ross9733

Ross9733 Member

This is a potential huge screw up. I would imagine it's not as simple as popping in some led lights!! Let us know.

15. morepower

morepower Member

It looks to be an entirely different headlight assembly. I don't think this is as easy as adding some led light bulbs.

Would like to know if ANYONE has the adaptive leds with a build date after July 1st?....If so do they also have PUP or not? Thanks.

16. ab26

ab26 Member

Quick update: My DS emailed me back. They acknowledged the issue and are retrofitting the lights free of charge on my Model X.

• Like x 5
  17. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Im pretty sure that all car's produced after July 1st have the "Three Position Dynamic Turning Light's".

18. morepower

morepower Member

Well they should but some don't as evidence from myself and others and the reason for this thread.

19. ab26

ab26 Member

I would rather say, "All Cars without PUP do not have the Three Position Dynamic Turning Light's". I am yet to hear from someone without PUP who has this feature.

20. Ross9733

Ross9733 Member

All cars are "supposed" to have the three position dynamic turn lights. I take delivery tomorrow so will see. Asked my DS in advance about this and other features and he said can discuss high level stuff tomorrow. So we shall see

• Informative x 1