Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I just sold my BMW 335i to make room for the Model 3. That's one of the reason's it is so disappointing. I drive that road everyday.
George, I get that you are very unhappy with the ride quality of your 3. You have made your point abundantly clear, at least to me. How can you turn that negative energy into something positive for yourself? Only you can answer that. But if I were so unhappy with a new car I owned, I would do one of the following
- sell the car and chalk it up to a bad experience, one of life's lessons
- install new springs and shock absorbers that were more to my liking
- enjoy that car for what it is
- trade it in on a new LEAF
- be happy that I got my car before almost everyone else and welcome the chance to be a beta tester

Is there anything you like about your car? Your strategy to prove that, in your opinion, your car does not ride well by your parameters by posting on a forum that consists of Tesla advocates is probably not well directed. Your hypothesis and videos might be better directed by sending them to Tesla Corporation.

I welcome that for the most part we have free speech here on TMC, and I welcome that I have the option to ignore that free speech.

I responded with what I thought were helpful suggestions on the other thread on this topic over on the Model 3 Owner's Club, but this is sitting less and less well with me as it goes along.

The opinion that softer sprung is better is just than, an opinion. "Better" means that not better is worse, and I strongly disagree that softening the suspension on a mainstream car is necessary. I think that they are almost always sprung more softly than I would like. But, as with the opposite, this is just my opinion.

Further, it's not the target for this car. Tesla has said many times that they are targeting this as a sports sedan, like the BMW 3 series.

If you compare the softness of the ride to a Leaf, I think that just misses the point. The Leaf is slow, of questionable aesthetics ( :) ), and understeers badly at the limit. Emulating it is not going to energize the public into making the shift to electric cars, as is one of Tesla's goals. Musk has said that Tesla doesn't make slow cars, and a suspension that rolls or is fairly compliant is not that compatible with performance.

Further, there is a car available for purchase right now that is sprung exactly like the Leaf. (Hint: It's the Leaf).

Tesla doesn't have the capability at this time to make vehicles to cater to every taste. They are trying their best, though, and things like the SAS will make the Model 3 even more widely acceptable.

People comparing the Model 3 to the BMW 3 series seem to forgot (or perhaps just don't know) that the 3 series has MORE THAN ONE suspension option. The base is geared toward comfort, sport/m-sport is geared toward more sporty handling, and then the adaptive suspension tries to deliver the best of both worlds as it offers driver selectable settings for comfort vs. sport AND (in any setting) adapts to the changing road surface. So, yeah, it would be ideal if the Model 3 indeed were like the BMW 3 series in that regard...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Except of course that the OP owns a leaf and not a BMW 3-series.

I know, but it's simply no use comparing two cars that by definition have very different setups. One is a mushy city BEV and one is a sporty allround BEV.

I could also compare an S-class with a 911 and say that the 911 has a harsh ride compared to the S-class. Would be just as pointless.
You can't expect a car with the driving characteristics and performance stats of the Model 3 to be comparable to something like the Leaf. Both are BEVs. That's where the similarities end.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I know, but it's simply no use comparing two cars that by definition have very different setups. One is a mushy city BEV and one is a sporty allround BEV.
It's definitely of use to compare the two cars. Many people may not know that the M3 has a stiff suspension and haven't had a car with one in the past. In any case I'm not really sure that Tesla mentions the stiffness of the suspension anywhere.
Many people may also be in the market for any electric car and comparing a leaf to an M3 does make sense. Most people have not in fact owned or even driven 3-series.

It's definitely of use to compare the two cars. Many people may not know that the M3 has a stiff suspension and haven't had a car with one in the past. In any case I'm not really sure that Tesla mentions the stiffness of the suspension anywhere.
Every one on this Forum knows by now that some people think the suspension is too stiff and some people think it is perfect. You are assuming EVERYONE will think it is too stiff and Tesla should too. The OP could have said, "I know that model 3 suspension is stiffer than my LEAF and I think it is too stiff" and let it go at that. Nissan should mention that their LEAF rides like a wet sponge, but they don't. Tesla makes changes as a result of complaints to corporate or service centers as opposed to reading Internet fora where a handful of people think the suspension is too stiff. If you want to have a test drive before configuring your car, then simply defer your invitation until you can drive one and THEN make your decision.
Many people may also be in the market for any electric car and comparing a leaf to an M3 does make sense. Most people have not in fact owned or even driven 3-series.
Fine, then OP should post his 'scientific experiment' on some other general BEV forum, where many people are in the market for any electric car, if he wants to convince "many people" to buy a LEAF rather than a model 3.

I don't think OP is trying to convince people to buy Leaf and such. I think you are being over sensitive and tryuing to cast negative aspirations.

All OP is trying to do is, share his experience and express his disappointment.

BTW, I don't need any freakin science experiment. That testing with a glass of water is enough. I can clearly see M3 rides harsher. Some people may like it, many won't

Reactions: cwerdna
BTW, I don't need any freakin science experiment. That testing with a glass of water is enough. I can clearly see M3 rides harsher.
The glass of water IS a freakin high school science experiment!

Many people may like it, Some won't
Fixed for accuracy.
Time for a survey:
- I own a model 3 and I like the suspension
- I own a model 3 and I do not like the suspension
- I don't own a model 3 but the suspension appears to be perfect and I can't wait
- I don't own a model 3 but the suspension appears horrible and I am cancelling
- I don't own a model 3 but the suspension appears to be horrible and I am ordering anyway so I can complain and make my life complete
- I don't own a model 3 and I don't give a rodent's derriere one way or another, I just want my car

PSA: If floaty suspension is critical to you, wait for a test drive before ordering. I would defer if I were you!

Last edited:
Fine, then OP should post his 'scientific experiment' on some other general BEV forum, where many people are in the market for any electric car, if he wants to convince "many people" to buy a LEAF rather than a model 3.
Many people like myself come to this forum to try and learn both the pros and cons of Tesla's. Your hostility towards anything critical of Tesla is really not helping anybody. Especially not your credibility. The OP simply presented what he considered was evidence that the Leaf was a less harsh ride than the M3.

Many people like myself come to this forum to try and learn both the pros and cons of Tesla's. Your hostility towards anything critical of Tesla is really not helping anybody. Especially not your credibility. The OP simply presented what he considered was evidence that the Leaf was a less harsh ride than the M3.
You are wrong on so many counts, but just for example, I have been VERY critical of Tesla's dependence on a smartphone for model 3 access. And I never had any credibility, I am a 'complete enthusiast', so you put that to rest.

Water glasses on a dashboard is not evidence, it is a flawed high school experiment. Factors to consider are:
- what are the materials the dashboards are made of, does one transmit vibrations differently than another
- how are the dashboards attached to the car, a dashboard with a stronger attachment to the structure will vibrate more
- how far are the glasses placed from the front wheels of the car, a glass placed closer to the CG of a car will vibrate less
- what are the comparative speeds of the two cars at the same point on the road, speed variation can have an effect on vibrations
- roads are not universally uniform, a slight deviation from the same exact same path can have a tremendous difference in vibrations

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinPowers
I would like to update my early post about harsh ride. Another several hundred miles and either I am getting used to it or springs and tires are breaking in a bit. It still rides a bit stiff but the jarring on bumps has decreased a fair amount. It has smoothed to the point it is no longger an issue for me. I just came back from a 300 miles trip. And while the Model 3 is still no Model S in ride comfort, I was still able to do the trip enjoyably with no fatigue at all. Remember, I am coming from a Model S. Friends who ride in my car (they having average small cars) remark that the ride is very smooth to them.

Any of you worrying about ride. I'd say, you'll likely be fine. But! If you can afford an S, cargo space, and a quiet and smooth ride matters to you over the sport handling of a 3, get an S.

Seems an opportunity.
15" or 16" wheels with taller side walls so tire does much more of the fine movement of "suspension system".
Tire/wheels for ride and mileage vs performance tires.
I think you get what I'm suggesting.

Brando, it appears that the smallest wheel that will clear the rear brake caliper is a 17” and even then it’s so close all 17’s might not fit. The rear rotor on the 3 is larger than the front rotor and the the rear single piston floating caliper with integrated with the parking brake is the physical limitation. The Mad Hungarian in Quebec was the first to laser measure the 3 wheel fit when You You was there getting winter wheels/tires in early January and Mentioned this as a limitation. I get what your saying but with the 96/98 XL required load rating and the above normal tire pressures required there is not going to be a ‘big’ difference with a 17”. IMO at least not enough to warrant the cost.

I would like to update my early post about harsh ride. Another several hundred miles and either I am getting used to it or springs and tires are breaking in a bit. It still rides a bit stiff but the jarring on bumps has decreased a fair amount. It has smoothed to the point it is no longger an issue for me. I just came back from a 300 miles trip. And while the Model 3 is still no Model S in ride comfort, I was still able to do the trip enjoyably with no fatigue at all. Remember, I am coming from a Model S. Friends who ride in my car (they having average small cars) remark that the ride is very smooth to them.

Any of you worrying about ride. I'd say, you'll likely be fine. But! If you can afford an S, cargo space, and a quiet and smooth ride matters to you over the sport handling of a 3, get an S.

I said earlier in this thread that everything would loosen up and settle down somewhat after a little while.
Springs and especially shockies will “break in” from new. Tyre pressures will also make a big difference- even dropping by say a few psi will help the ride, (but will slightly affect both handling and range.)

And remember...... The optional bigger diameter rims WILL give a harsher ride.

I’m sure we Australians are notorious in the U.S. for some things, (we all have our good and bad points):D , but you Americans are “kind of” infamous here for making cars with an overly soft, mushy ride, (...especially in years gone by.)
Having said that, I own a 2014 Grand Cherokee with coil suspension (not the optional air suspension) and I’m quite happy with both it’s ride, and handling. (I purposely stuck with the standard 18” rims on it as I didn’t want the harsher ride given by larger diameter rims.)

Anyway going by this thread I’m guessing that some of you Americans would like a softer ride, and happily accept slightly worse handling.
(The thing is, it won’t be long before you’ll be able to change springs and shockies with aftermarket suppliers to get a softer ride- but handling will suffer as a result.)

My advice would be, if you don’t like a somewhat harsh ride:

1. Give it some time to settle in.
2. Try lowering the Tyre pressure just a little bit.
3. If you’re more interested in ride than handling, don’t get the larger diameter rims, stick with standard.
(Ultra low profile tyres give a pretty harsh ride in any car.)

If you’re still unhappy, start looking for aftermarket suspension suppliers. I’m sure there will be other options before too long.

Cya, and G’day from downunder. :)