Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal and in car audio with 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'm someone that believes that albums should be listened to in order. Self made playlists though may benefit from it but is is really that important? And when I've put it on shuffle I always forget to turn it off and then get annoyed when "fixing a hole" follows "A little help from my friends". That's just wrong.

But I'll have to say that so many of the apps are half baked.
I also still listen to albums in order as well. But people also have playlists for certain genres/moods/artists. To not have both options is just plain stupid.

It was bad enough not being able to access individual albums on Spotify unless you create a playlist or have the artist saved.

It comes down to which features from the API they implement. I use a Mac application called Audirvana which recently came out with a big update. The old version suited me just fine, and implemented both the Tidal and Qobuz API with all the features. The new version though had a redesigned interface and they did not implement everything and the features they left out make it annoying to use. You used to be able to go back and forth while scrolling through, the back button always just worked. The new version only lets you scroll forward, when you hit back it would take you all the way to the start. Really annoying. I only updated my macbook and left my imac with the old software.

I looked at Audirvana as it has some nice things like telling you what bitrates are in use and showing the waveform (a good way of showing what a shitshow the loudness war has made of many recent recordings). But a monthly fee for an audio player.. sod that.

But more on-topic, I suspect Tesla have implemented the minimum to get it out of the door.. they always seem to do that. Unfortunately they never follow up and add the things they missed.

Tidal is online streaming with option of secure download to registered devices. Downloaded content is secure and only playable from within Tidal on that device.

If you want to mix Tidal and existing content such as FLAC, you need something like Roon which effectively creates a seamless composite library across music sources irrespective of whether that source is streamed or accessible media from the ‘core’ device Obviously not on Tesla.
Yea but how great would it be if Tesla and Roon would partner, and Roon would be the *premium* audio solution for Tesla?? I know it's not gonna happen, but it's fun to dream about...

It's been discussed over on the Roon forums before... But to my knowledge just by users, not by Roon personnel.

It's been discussed over on the Roon forums before... But to my knowledge just by users, not by Roon personnel.

I know Danny is (certainly was) a Tesla owner however I suspect that Roon would be too intense an application for the Tesla MCU 2 - I use to be an Alpha tester for what became Roon and know some of the team (been in meetings at HQ with them) from when they worked on Meridian Sooloos.

Reactions: psuKinger
Back on topic, a first review of Tidal @tesla (I’m still waiting for 2021.40.x):
In one of the comments he answered by most burning question. Downloads get downloaded into local MCU with a max. of 60GB.
That’s OK for me. Can’t wait to try.

Reactions: skateboarder
Sounds promising but will we get option in UK ? My last update was 2021.36.5.8 Will see if Black Friday offers still on....

Tidal is on the UK 2021.40.x vehicles so we are not regionally restricted.

This is just how Tesla releases work. 2021.36.5.8 is the main release version for Model 3, so it is not behind the curve, just not the bleeding edge. Releases also slow this time of year, often with a 'headline promise' of a big release over Christmas, although after last years reactions, maybe EM will be a bit more down to earth with his pronouncements this time around.

TeslaFi fleet (below) is a statistically meaningful view of the whole fleet. 2021.36.5.8 is on more than twice as many Model 3's than on any other version.
1638093360925.png

For those that have just downloaded the update and want to give Tidal a go, they are doing a Black Friday offer of £1 for 3 months on HiFi, or £2 for 3 months on HiFi Plus.

New users only (or those with a new email address ;) )

Thanks for letting us know about this offer. I just got 2021.40.6, so I'm defintely going to sign up for the trial.

Does anyone know where the download for Tidal actually goes? is it the usb device in the glove box? I have a 1TB SSD in there so wondering if they will be download to there? Also do you need to download the playlists to the phone first to be able to then download to the car via wifi?

Reactions: Magstauk
I got the update today for Model Y Standard Range, I do have advanced software updates checked so maybe get is faster..

will compare today using MQA albums vs. spotify, and then HIfi albums vs. spotify:

Reactions: Durzel
Back on topic, a first review of Tidal @tesla (I’m still waiting for 2021.40.x):
In one of the comments he answered by most burning question. Downloads get downloaded into local MCU with a max. of 60GB.
That’s OK for me. Can’t wait to try.
Anyone know if you can connect a flash drive and draw from that? or just your phone? I have lots of Masters quality downloaded on my phone, and good quality HiFi also.

I got the update today for Model Y Standard Range, I do have advanced software updates checked so maybe get is faster..

will compare today using MQA albums vs. spotify, and then HIfi albums vs. spotify:

At home, on my good systems, and even more medium, I prefer Tidal. Even slightly over Qobuz lossless. Just my ears and my preferences. Not sure if the difference as between Spotify Premium will be as noticeable in the car as at home. Considering road noise, wind noise, etc. Thinking most of the time lossless/FLAC/ALAC will be good enough.

I do already know that I prefer at least CD quality (FLAC/ALAC) in my VW Passat TDI that I am replacing with this new car, over Bluetooth MP3's, and can hear a difference there. Just not sure if anything above ALAC/FLAC will be that much better in a car environment.

And, more generally, I tend to agree with Darko that at CD quality and above, it is not always whether something is true High Resolution that matters, but how it was recorded and mastered. At least sometimes, in my experience, I can hear differences, . . . but other times, depending on the recordings, the differences are less or nil. Or a poorly recorded/mastered hi-rez piece might sometimes sound worse.

And, if one can use a portable drive, a Roon implementation would be really cool to have! (agreeing with you Roon folks). I would love album art floating around on a dark mode screen. Better than some of the other stuff that might otherwise be up there half the time. Especially if I don't need a map up. I have to admit I have not used Roon as much after the Tidal Connect app came out for my BlueSound streamers at home. But I still like it, and would really like it for a library on a drive. I plan on putting my downloaded library on a drive beyond my Mac mini at some point. But at home, most of the time, Tidal Connect is just too convenient. And Spotify Connect for background playlists I share with others, etc.

Ok, now that I hopped in at the current end of the thread, having not read the prior 5 pages and still spouting off, I will go back and see what everyone said! ;)

Last edited:
Initial impression is that it really is high fidelity after downloading an MQA album it was treated as Hifi and that's what it said in Tesla player, things that I cannot hear as clear in Spotify are crystal clear using Tidal, I did a hip-hop song by the weekend.

Spotify treated certain parts of song as bass whereas tidal didn't which I'm sure is closer to what was originally meant when the song was created, Spotify tends to favor punchy bass. Voice crystal clear on both, it was the instruments and bass that were the difference. Tidal much more clear.

Will test rock and other types later.

So far really nice! utilizing the Y's incredible sound system.