Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal and in car audio with 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After looking for a search button within Tidal and not finding it, I tried the search all media button at the bottom and it found what I wanted on Tidal since I don't have Spotify set up, and it was quick. I'm so used to the console being slow with media that it is surprising.

Another thing to note is that hitting play on a track is pretty instantaneous, more so than I'm used to at home where everything double buffers, once on the PC then also on the streamer device and maybe also in the DAC for a third time.

MQA requires "believers" for full effect... No material exists to verify *any* claims. Second, why would you care in a car while driving? You really aren't going to notice any of that.

Third, Tidal is just as crappy as Spotify in the Tesla because these are not officially maintained apps but crappy implementations by Tesla themselves on top of APIs provided by these services.

Seriously, Tesla should just add actual app support or add Android Auto and Apple Carplay so that you can use native apps. Until then we will keep this sub par support for streaming services.
Ok, thank you for my scolding. If you read my posts, you will see that I question MQA in car application. As for what sounds better to me, over my system, at home, I trust my ears and like what I like. And there is also the interface issue and what looks better. At home, on my phone or iPad, and I guess I will find out in my car. I liked what I have seen of the Tidal implementation as compared to Spotify, which I did experience directly during my test drive. Qobuz vs. Tidal at home is nearly a push (though to my ears, I like the Tidal sound a little better. Are the bit rates and/or actual information different? I don’t know. I go with my ears, what I like, and what is pleasant for me to use in the environment I am in. At home, I like the Tidal app and catalog better, so I have stuck with Tidal. Enjoying music to me is more than bit rates. Visual things, how things are organized, how the algorithms work, etc. I like Spotify better for certain things, and use it some of the time. Shared playlists, casual stuff, I tend to like their algorithm better for music suggestions. But for sitting down and listening, I tend to prefer Tidal, sometimes using Roon for all the other info, etc.

And of course, as I see more replies come in since I posted, FLAC/ALAC/CD quality is enough for a car, IMO. Even without motor noise. But likely to enjoy having access to my Tidal account in my car, anyway. Along with Spotify. Thinking I will quit Qobuz as redundant. Not sure what I am going to do with apple music yet. I have a bunch of old purchased iTunes stuff on hard drives from iPod days I rarely access anymore, as i just use Tidal or Spotify most of the time. Or play a CD or record if I want to have a physical media experience. (Again, enjoying music is beyond bit rates, etc. Sometimes physical media makes it more fun. But I am not a 10k turntable/stylus guy). So again, interested in a Tidal implementation in my car, and how it works, how it looks, etc., as I tend to use it and save and collect music there anyway. So that part is relevant.

But again thanks, I do I appreciate being educated by your superior attitude and snark.

Last edited:
Anyone else having problems downloading to Tidal? I queued 4 albums, the first downloaded OK, if a bit haphazardly, according to the greying of the titles. The 2nd album started to d/l, but seemed to stop after 1st track. I left it at that and found the 2nd track downloaded when i next started Tidal, same for the 3rd track next time I got into the car. Now, it seems to have stopped, having 2aited 20+ minutes in the car today (while attached to my wifi), Worse, I can't delete the partial album to clear the queue and maybe move to the next one.

My wifi connection isn't perfect but I was able to download the 2121.40 update at 1.3Mb/s so it's not terrible..

Any suggestions?

Ok, thank you for my scolding. If you read my posts, you will see that I question MQA in car application. As for what sounds better to me, over my system, at home, I trust my ears and like what I like. And there is also the interface issue and what looks better. At home, on my phone or iPad, and I guess I will find out in my car. I liked what I have seen of the Tidal implementation as compared to Spotify, which I did experience directly during my test drive. Qobuz vs. Tidal at home is nearly a push (though to my ears, I like the Tidal sound a little better. Are the bit rates and/or actual information different? I don’t know. I go with my ears, what I like, and what is pleasant for me to use in the environment I am in. At home, I like the Tidal app and catalog better, so I have stuck with Tidal. Enjoying music to me is more than bit rates. Visual things, how things are organized, how the algorithms work, etc. I like Spotify better for certain things, and use it some of the time. Shared playlists, casual stuff, I tend to like their algorithm better for music suggestions. But for sitting down and listening, I tend to prefer Tidal, sometimes using Roon for all the other info, etc.

And of course, as I see more replies come in since I posted, FLAC/ALAC/CD quality is enough for a car, IMO. Even without motor noise. But likely to enjoy having access to my Tidal account in my car, anyway. Along with Spotify. Thinking I will quit Qobuz as redundant. Not sure what I am going to do with apple music yet. I have a bunch of old purchased iTunes stuff on hard drives from iPod days I rarely access anymore, as i just use Tidal or Spotify most of the time. Or play a CD or record if I want to have a physical media experience. (Again, enjoying music is beyond bit rates, etc. Sometimes physical media makes it more fun. But I am not a 10k turntable/stylus guy). So again, interested in a Tidal implementation in my car, and how it works, how it looks, etc., as I tend to use it and save and collect music there anyway. So that part is relevant.

But again thanks, I do I appreciate being educated by your superior attitude and snark.
Hell hath no fury like an audiophile scorned.

Seems that nothing has changed in Audiophilesville. It's always been a perpetual humour vacuum. :-/
hey, I am not the person that led with superior snark. I like listening to music, and was interested in the offering. Don’t go putting the lack of humor on me. What the other member said was not some nice little light hearted joke, spreading joy in the world of enjoying music in our cars, aiding the discussion or lightening the mood in any way.

Last edited:
I'd argue MQA is offtopic for the discussion of the car audio in 2021.40.1 - it was never likely to be at thing there.

I wonder if Tesla will implement downloads/hifi quality for Spotify after this.. that'd put the cat amongst the pigeons (I doubt it's much coding once you've done it once..).

I'd argue MQA is offtopic for the discussion of the car audio in 2021.40.1 - it was never likely to be at thing there.

I wonder if Tesla will implement downloads/hifi quality for Spotify after this.. that'd put the cat amongst the pigeons (I doubt it's much coding once you've done it once..).

Spotify doesn't even offer it yet right? So Tidal is way ahead of the game here.

I get loading error on all Tidal tracks. It doesn't seem particularly reliable on any platform (Tesla/Android/PC)

I was getting issues in the car (previously mentioned wifi issues that subsequently went with car going offline and needed an access point to resolve), but Tidal has always been (I've been a Tidal subscriber for quite a few years), and continues to be, rock solid for me. I was listening to it on phone app for a few hours this afternoon, no issues.

That would have a huge (overwhelming) bearing on the anecdotal A/B comparisons that have been shared in the thread so far.

If my quote had not been taken out of context it would also included that the only actual comparison was vs DAB. It was just a guess vs FLAC with no actual comparison done and based solely on an observation that I wouldn't normally listen to audio that loud in the car and can never recall any significant volume difference when switching between FLAC and DAB.

Lets wait until someone does an actual comparison of source volume before jumping to conclusions that it is contributing to any quality difference.

I had some glitches a few days ago but put that down to server load.. but tidal working fine for me at the moment, and it was great in the car.

As far as volume goes.. it's not like I listen at a fixed volume anyway.. if Tidal was louder I'd simply turn it down probably without thinking about it. Doubt that's a significant effect.

I was getting issues in the car (previously mentioned wifi issues that subsequently went with car going offline and needed an access point to resolve), but Tidal has always been (I've been a Tidal subscriber for quite a few years), and continues to be, rock solid for me. I was listening to it on phone app for a few hours this afternoon, no issues.
Might be my net connection but both the Windows and Android App stalls and doesn't play, or download any data.

Perhaps it's because I have Argentine Tidal.