Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal and in car audio with 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell the difference between the cheapest Tidal offerings and Spotify 320kbps tracks. I actually wonder whether they're actually 128 or 256kbps, which might account for the never ending delay for the lossless option while they try to work out how to fix their library.

I want to know this too! Also, hoping against hope that Tidal will be able to play my FLAC files.
Tidal is online streaming with option of secure download to registered devices. Downloaded content is secure and only playable from within Tidal on that device.

If you want to mix Tidal and existing content such as FLAC, you need something like Roon which effectively creates a seamless composite library across music sources irrespective of whether that source is streamed or accessible media from the ‘core’ device Obviously not on Tesla.

Numpty question incoming (i'll get the body armour and sandbags ready!)

Is there any capability to amend the 'default' music streaming service for voice commands? I know there are the toggle functions for the music service icons, but hadn't (overtly) spotted any capability to amend the service that provides the music when i go "Play <song title>" on the voice command side.

I've never had a Spotify account (shock!) so always just used the Tesla 'free' in car service, but i've got an actual Tidal account and was curious whether there was any hope in setting which service responds (sods law there won't be)!

You can make this work by disabling the other services in the Tesla UI. You can have it remove the icons for Slacker for example, and if it's not enabled, then when you use voice to Play X, it will use another streaming service. In my case it defaults to Spotify. You can also say Play X on Spotify to specify service, but it's easier to disable that junk Slacker stream.

Haha I was reading your comment and got to the part where you found everything fatiguing and thought “I bet he listens to only tubes”.
Oh yep, further down, exactly right! I just think you don’t enjoy exact digital treble and like everything rolled off 😜

I do think 96kbps is far too low for music on anything better than a Bluetooth speaker and certainly Bluetooth removes soundstage and depth from a track. But I don’t find it fatiguing at all.

Lastly, MQA is a joke format and total embarrassment. Just a way to sell a lossy format and licensing. Gross.

It would be nice if Elon could just add proper support for phones via USB and/or Apple Music.

Talking solely about 96kbps bitrate makes no sense here. Unless you also include the encoder, there is no way to know what it sounds like.

The Spotify encoder is not mp3 format (should be Ogg Vorbis, but on Tesla?), and is far superior to the now ancient mp3 format. Best guess from web search says OggVorbis 96kbps is roughly comparable to 192kbps mp3. But maybe not 192kbps VBR mp3. (VariableBitRate)

I think the problem isn't whether you can hear a difference it is whether the difference is what makes you want to keep listening vs. turning it off.

Spotify in the car is frequently the latter for me, and the low bitrate can't be helping. The one time Tesla 'slipped up' and made a version that was so much better I was listening to albums I hadn't heard in years just because they sounded so good (which IMO proves the hardware is capable of it, it's either bitrate or they've crippled the DAC in some way).

With Tidal being so much better for discovery (spotify's 'daily drive' still has the same tunes it had in 12 months ago..) I'm hoping its quality is good enough to have that same effect.

I think it's all too easy to fall into the trap of listening to a different master provided to a streaming service and then attributing the SQ differences to the bit-rate or whatever. Good mastering will always trump compression algorithms as a arbiter of SQ. Ofc all things being equal we want high-bit rate or preferably lossless streams, but often apples are not being compared with apples.

I've listened to FLAC files in the car sitting quietly outside the house. I still couldn't hear the difference between that and Spotify's 360kbps Premium stuff.

I can however hear the difference between Tidal Masters and Spotify Premium via my aptX earbuds.

Maybe as above, Tesla's software doesn't reproduce lossless as well as people hoped.
I had another go at listening and comparing tracks with Spotify last night on the drive home and once I was parked.

I could actually hear the difference on quite a few tracks this time, though there were also one or two that the mix/soundstage sounded better and more "up front" on Spotify.

Young American by Bowie was one of them. But Rebel Rebel sounded much better on FLAC. Go figure.

Reactions: psuKinger
I could actually hear the difference on quite a few tracks this time, though there were also one or two that the mix/soundstage sounded better and more "up front" on Spotify.

If comparing sound stage of source material, it may be worth turning off immersive sound. Obviously commenting on the differences in enjoyment you get from listening to different tracks and/or sources will be dependent on all processing in the chain, but the soundstage will be very dependent on timing which dsp such as immersive sound will be playing around with how the timing influences its processing. The source material timing information will play a big part on how the dsp presents across multiple speakers especially if deriving more channels than the original recording contained which is what immersive sound is about. There is likely not a correct answer as to what is best and it may come down to personal preference and the source material, which is why there are so many different surround sound decoders, each creating a different multi channel presentation of the sound stage.

Reactions: Nick77
I guess I'm someone that believes that albums should be listened to in order. Self made playlists though may benefit from it but is is really that important? And when I've put it on shuffle I always forget to turn it off and then get annoyed when "fixing a hole" follows "A little help from my friends". That's just wrong.

But I'll have to say that so many of the apps are half baked.

Reactions: psuKinger and OttoR