Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to change or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
This is more of an ideas question really.
I have a 05/2018 Model 3 LR RWD with FSD
Now I'm effectively in almost the last year of warranty due to mileage rather than time. Got 33k on it already so I'll probably hit 50k Aug 2021.

Should I hang onto my Model 3 (which is awesome), or replace it with a new 3 or Y.

Upsides to keeping it
  • I got FSD for a great price
  • I've got the premium connectivity for life
  • The car has been great

Uncertainties
  • Its a 2018 Model 3, so pretty early in the process
  • I never saw the 325 mile range upgrade, so assuming battery can't do it
  • No clue what the resale will be on my Model 3
Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.
I love this car and was planning on keeping it for at least ten years, but I'm wondering if the resale value is proportionally better now than after warranty is gone.

keep it for now. Buying a Tesla is like playing russian roulette... its absolutely unnecessary and a waste of money.

Maybe once they fix their QC issues.... maybe. but thats a long ways, even after Munro's positive review of the Y construction.

There's no real benefit to move to a new 3 or Y. Neither are that much better than yours. I have no idea what will happen to these cars after warranty is up but you have a little more to go until then.

Resale value, I'd guesstimate around $40k now, considering the year, mileage and FSD.

If you were planning to keep it for 10 years, then keep it for 10 years. That's the cheapest way to own a car. Trading in on a new car every 2-3 years is the most expensive way to do it.

Both a 2018 and 2020 aren't going to be worth squat when they are 10 and 8 years old respectively, so you've gotten your train off the tracks by talking the way you are now. Your original way of thinking was sound.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ra88it and Twiglett
This is more of an ideas question really.
I have a 05/2018 Model 3 LR RWD with FSD
Now I'm effectively in almost the last year of warranty due to mileage rather than time. Got 33k on it already so I'll probably hit 50k Aug 2021.

Should I hang onto my Model 3 (which is awesome), or replace it with a new 3 or Y. /QUOTE)

Here's a little different perspective. Do what makes you happy. If you can afford it. Life is short.

My Dad was addicted to the thrill of a new car. He passed last year at age 95, still driving, and still buying a new car every year. I think he passed that down to me. I even learned the same rationalization drill. Here's a clue - there's never a valid financial argument, but you can convince yourself there is. Truth is, cars really don't wear out if they are maintained, and not abused. However, they do get better. That, to me, is the real reason I get itchy feet - on the average of every three years, or less.

I don't know how many times I've told myself: "I'm gonna keep this car forever." Such is the flush of the moment when you sit gazing through a new and perfectly clear windshield, reveling in the smell of new upholstery, glue, sealants, whatever. And, once again I am besotted with my new M3. I know I'll keep it ten years... I might even live that long... Nahhh. Who am I kidding?

;)

I'm in a similar boat in terms of age and warranty, and was planning on buying a Model Y early-ish next year, especially because I don't want to lose my HOV access at the end of next year.

But… contrary to what I'd expect… they keep making the cars *worse* instead of better. I don't want to lose auto dimming side mirrors, nor do I want to spend weeks waiting to get a homelink module installed. I like having the hooks in the frunk, and the cargo mats.

I'd forgive those changes if they were adding things like a heated steering wheel, or cooled seats, or adjustable squabs on the seats, but since they aren't, I don't really have any incentive to spend the money to upgrade.

its funny, I know things have changed all over the place from the first 3's to the current 3's
The door lock sounds different, the roof coating doesn't turn orange when its wet, the door closing sound is different, lots of trim pieces have been adjusted for better fit and less wind noise.
All sorts of little imperceptible changes that someone buying it new wouldn't notice.
The great thing about an EV is that performance isn't going to drop off.
Most importantly, being a Tesla, it will continue to get updates and continue to improve.
Maybe even FSD will be finished before the car hits its 10th birthday :cool: