Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to replace the P85D but not excited about any of the options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just throwing out a mention for the Lucid. I have an Air Pure on order, at the 'old' pricing. If they sort out their production issues, and if I like how it drives when they actually let me play with one, it's a compelling proposition.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I’m pretty sure it isn’t, just glass roof like everything else. I think all the manufacturers have figured out that the latter is cheaper to make as an upgrade option with the same perceived benefits. Which is too bad because nothing beats the feeling of actual open above you.

Reactions: Dannietjoh
I've been wanting to replace my P85DL+ for a while. Stalkless yoke makes Tesla a non-starter for me as MY/3 are just not my thing. After a lot of searching, test driving, and waiting for cars to actually come to market, I finally decided on a Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo. With Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) and rear wheel steering, I finally found the car which drives even better than the P85DL+, both fast and spirited and slow in parking lots (rear wheel steering makes it turn tighter there). The car comes with a bunch of options never available on Tesla too, such as rear wheel steering, HUD, night vision, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, blind spot warnings in mirrors, etc. Unfortunately, they are in a very short supply, so I've been on waiting lists for over a year now, not even an allocation available to order one.

PS> @danp, I get that it doesn't fit your criteria for open roof, but at least if you don't have ludicrous mode on your P85D+ then you might be able to buy a Taycan 4S instead of Turbo and not have it be step down in acceleration. 4S is much closer to Model S price. If I was willing to buy a 4S, I could have had one by now or at least be close to delivery, but just couldn't sell myself on lower highway/passing speeds acceleration as I use that all the time on my car. P85DL+ spoiled me.

Last edited:
Had the P85D with the + suspension for over 7 years now. Still drives like new, and nothing beats the open pano roof on a nice summer day. And great to have free premium connectivity and unlimited Supercharging, even with the limited 85 battery pack charging speeds.

But with just over half a year left on the powertrain and battery warranty, and with the used car market what it is, it seems like a good time to sell it and upgrade to something new.

The problem is that nothing else out there actually feels like an upgrade. Mostly the opposite.

I have both the Model S LR and the MYP on order. I drove the Plaid for a day and loved the suspension/handling, acceleration (on sport mode so it was comparable to the LR) build quality, and comfort. But I would miss the pano sunroof that opens, and I really hated the awkwardness of the yoke, turn signals, horn, and the semi-automatic drive selection. Would probably get used to all that but my wife, who would only drive it occasionally, would not, and I think it would be dangerous in expected situations. Elon ruined the best car in the world, IMO.

The MYP is the best value overall, and I love the fun factor and the utility. We already have a 3, so this would be familiar, but I don't love the vegan/vinyl seats without ventilation, since they don't breathe as well as real leather. There are cheap little details like the cardboard windshield visors, lack of passenger power lumbar, and no rear climate controls. And there are just way too many 3s and Ys out there now.

I've considered non Tesla EVs, like the Polestar 2 and the Taycan CT, but even assuming I could actually find one, there is always some major downside, like crappy software, lack of local service, slower acceleration, range, etc. And lack of Supercharger access (for now) would make a big difference on road trips that we take on a regular basis, at least based on some ABRP route comparisons.

So I'm leaning towards just keeping the P85D at least until the battery/powertrain warranty expires, and maybe longer with an aftermarket battery warranty. And hopefully in the meantime some better other options emerge.

Anyone else been through this dilemma? What did you end up deciding/doing?

I'm with you in the same camp. I've got a 2015 Model S P90DL and absolutely love it to death, even with its uneven fit and a few rattles. The Pano roof, unlimited supercharging and connectivity beats anything else new.

Have you considered getting yourself a new battery pack and MCU2 upgrade? I figure $22K for the combo is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new EV and that battery will have another 4 years warranty and I believe it will charge at faster rates.

Also, I'm not sure on the condition of the body, but for less than $1000, you can get a detail/paint correction and make the car finish look like a mirror. Even new cars suffer from bad swirl marks.

The mix of unlimited free supercharging and a new HV battery still doesn't address the fact that those old cars don't have the cooling to support full supercharging speeds. The difference is huge—at a 250kW charger, the refreshed S will charge at least *double* the speed of a 2015 S all the way to 80% SOC.

I realize not everyone cares about supercharging speed, but I would think those who cite free supercharging are the ones using it and the charging speed would maybe matter more.

I got the MCU2 upgrade for my 85D and if you're going to keep your old S for very long at all, I would highly recommend it. You will lose AM radio, but I think that's all. (I think the FM receiver is an add-on that costs another couple hundred bucks, at least it was when I upgraded.)

PS> @danp, I get that it doesn't fit your criteria for open roof, but at least if you don't have ludicrous mode on your P85D+ then you might be able to buy a Taycan 4S instead of Turbo and not have it be step down in acceleration. 4S is much closer to Model S price. If I was willing to buy a 4S, I could have had one by now or at least be close to delivery, but just couldn't sell myself on lower highway/passing speeds acceleration as I use that all the time on my car. P85DL+ spoiled me.

Yup, the Taycan Cross Turismo 4S is probably the closest thing to a viable enough replacement, even with the downsides like the bad lane keeping and software issues. I might try and go test drive one, if there are any available for that.

I'm with you in the same camp. I've got a 2015 Model S P90DL and absolutely love it to death, even with its uneven fit and a few rattles. The Pano roof, unlimited supercharging and connectivity beats anything else new.

Have you considered getting yourself a new battery pack and MCU2 upgrade? I figure $22K for the combo is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new EV and that battery will have another 4 years warranty and I believe it will charge at faster rates.

Also, I'm not sure on the condition of the body, but for less than $1000, you can get a detail/paint correction and make the car finish look like a mirror. Even new cars suffer from bad swirl marks.

I have a service appointment for the MCU2 upgrade, that seems like a no brainer, and should have done it a long time ago.

That 22K for the 100 kWh battery isn't a bad price, but you have to compare it to the incremental cost of buying a new car, not the whole cost. So a new Model S LR would cost me about 35K all in, with the price I have locked in, assuming I could sell mine for a decent price.

The body and paint are in great condition, it still looks like new.

The mix of unlimited free supercharging and a new HV battery still doesn't address the fact that those old cars don't have the cooling to support full supercharging speeds. The difference is huge—at a 250kW charger, the refreshed S will charge at least *double* the speed of a 2015 S all the way to 80% SOC.

I realize not everyone cares about supercharging speed, but I would think those who cite free supercharging are the ones using it and the charging speed would maybe matter more.

I got the MCU2 upgrade for my 85D and if you're going to keep your old S for very long at all, I would highly recommend it. You will lose AM radio, but I think that's all. (I think the FM receiver is an add-on that costs another couple hundred bucks, at least it was when I upgraded.)

Agreed with all that. And getting the MCU2 upgrade in a few weeks.

Yup, the Taycan Cross Turismo 4S is probably the closest thing to a viable enough replacement, even with the downsides like the bad lane keeping and software issues. I might try and go test drive one, if there are any available for that.
If looking at Cross Turismo as a replacement for Model S and don't need Turbo, I would also suggest considering Sport Turismo, unless off-road driving is on your priority list. Try to drive one with PDCC - keeps the car amazingly planted to the ground (automatically levels your car through turns, etc). You can test drive a sedan or ST if no CT is available, they drive almost the same.

PS> you'd probably figure it out from Porsche forums at some point, but a lot of people don't until it's too late so here it is - "Off Road Design Package" is purely esthetic, it does not raise your car's max clearance, it actually lowers it. It raises the default height of the car to account for the plastic decoration panels lowering the clearance. Many people get it thinking it is meant to raise the car for better off road clearance, since the description implies it.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and tm1v2
Why not just get a newer version of what you already have? Find yourself a P100D or Performance Model S that's a few years newer w/less miles plus added features/upgrades. As someone who has owned incrementally newer versions of these cars I can tell you from first hand experience that the improvements they made over the years are noticeable & appreciated during regular use. You likely would find the added total of these quality of life improvements on a car 4-5 years newer to feel like a whole new experience at a fraction of the new car price w/o the goofy yoke & annoyingly dangerous buttons.
Here's the thing, what I love about my 2014 is the sunroof, unlimited supercharging (rarely use it) and the nosecone, she is an iconic Tesla. I now have a suspension fix costing almost as much as the new infoentertainment . I did put that off as it is not a safety issue just an annoying rattle. I am trying to get the truth as to whether she can continue to keep the computer system updated.....and just for basic connectivity. I don't want to stream movies or any of the other nonsense available. Just calendar, phone, music, perhaps a few podcasts.....the basics.
I know the improvements over the last 8 years are notable. Just hard to let go

Reactions: tm1v2
Here's the thing, what I love about my 2014 is the sunroof, unlimited supercharging (rarely use it) and the nosecone, she is an iconic Tesla. I now have a suspension fix costing almost as much as the new infoentertainment . I did put that off as it is not a safety issue just an annoying rattle. I am trying to get the truth as to whether she can continue to keep the computer system updated.....and just for basic connectivity. I don't want to stream movies or any of the other nonsense available. Just calendar, phone, music, perhaps a few podcasts.....the basics.
I know the improvements over the last 8 years are notable. Just hard to let go
I feel the same way about my 2013 P85D. Just had Electrified Garage in Seabrook, NH do a major suspension (and new toe-links!!!) overhaul and now it runs as new - with a few new rattles - but like new. The Bat. goes to 221 miles @ 100% and here in the NE, there are plenty of SC's for any trip. Windshield needs replacing due to hypersonic bird strikes and sandblasting, but hey...

Reactions: TimT and GSP
@danp

I recently bought a MY LR to replace my S85D. I did not really want to, but with prices rising every other week for the new S LR and the Y, and with only 1 year of battery warranty left on my S85D, I felt that I needed to act.

I could not justify spending over $100k for a new S LR, and the Y was a better fit for my needs. I am very happy with the new Y. I don’t miss my S85 D nearly as much as I thought I would, if at all. Compared to my old S, Tesla has improved in dozens of important ways with the new Y.

I still look at new S LRs with a bit of envy though. It sounds like the new S fits your needs. If I had bought the S, I would have installed a “yoke completer:”

If you don’t like the looks of the yoke completer there also are complete wheel replacements available.

The horn should be back in the center, where God intended it to be, by the time you get your S. That fixes the two biggest issues in my opinion.

The PRNDL on the touchscreen screen looks easy and intuitive to me, and you can turn off the “auto shift” feature. I probably could learn to live with the turn signal buttons. Tesla has improved the software to make it harder to accidentally turn them on, and to automatically cancel them after a lane change.

I rarely opened my sunroof, but you will have to adjust to not having that. At least you can see the sky when you look up.

Good Luck with your car decisions,

GSP

I've got a 2014 P85 and am thinking of just keeping it forever and see how long it lasts. The newer cars have a lot of improvements (mine doesn't even have autopilot), but these older Model S cars have a lot of character you can't get with newer ones. There were so many more colors, materials, and options on the older cars. Pano roof, rear facing seats, a huge frunk (for rear drive models), and even the quirkiness of rear drive performance. I know comfort was not highly rated, but I also love the dual material seats in my model (a leather/alcantara blend that I'm a fan of). I also prefer the vertical more integrated center display, and I'm not a yoke fan.

I'm not sure what my next EV will be yet. I like the efficiency and day to day utility of sedan, the trip and drive your parents/grandparents utility of an SUV, and the utility of having a bed on a truck. I could see maybe going with a pre-yoke S or X, or maybe a F-150 Lightning or Cybertruck, and I'm open to other options as well. But nothing has me sold.

Reactions: David29 and Darmie
@danp

I recently bought a MY LR to replace my S85D. I did not really want to, but with prices rising every other week for the new S LR and the Y, and with only 1 year of battery warranty left on my S85D, I felt that I needed to act.

I could not justify spending over $100k for a new S LR, and the Y was a better fit for my needs. I am very happy with the new Y. I don’t miss my S85 D nearly as much as I thought I would, if at all. Compared to my old S, Tesla has improved in dozens of important ways with the new Y.

I still look at new S LRs with a bit of envy though. It sounds like the new S fits your needs. If I had bought the S, I would have installed a “yoke completer:”

If you don’t like the looks of the yoke completer there also are complete wheel replacements available.

The horn should be back in the center, where God intended it to be, by the time you get your S. That fixes the two biggest issues in my opinion.

The PRNDL on the touchscreen screen looks easy and intuitive to me, and you can turn off the “auto shift” feature. I probably could learn to live with the turn signal buttons. Tesla has improved the software to make it harder to accidentally turn them on, and to automatically cancel them after a lane change.

I rarely opened my sunroof, but you will have to adjust to not having that. At least you can see the sky when you look up.

Good Luck with your car decisions,

GSP

I actually keep the sunroof all the way open all the time, except for the deep of winter. Love the open air feel and wind in my face.

Elon promised the horn would be back in the center early this year, and it was just waiting for a software update, but that was many months ago and I've lost faith in that promise. It feels like the MS/MX are just kind of an afterthought for Tesla these days, with all the focus on MY scaling, FSD, etc.

I ended up cancelling my MSLR that I had on order, and at the current price levels it just doesn't make sense for me to re-order even if they do end up fixing the horn issue. And I'm not a fan of the yoke or the fake leather seat material.

I'm keeping the P85D for at least another year or two, maybe with an extended battery warranty from 057 Tech.

I agonized this past winter and spring as my warranty on my 2013 85 expired in March. Ended up ordering a Y which should arrive within the next month (but really who can tell with the ever changing delivery estimates?). My old S doesn’t really have any rattles, except for a loudish thunk when starting out, that a drive unit replacement didn’t fix. It fits like a comfy old shirt and with new tires, feels as smooth as day one. Mine is rear wheel drive though and I wanted AWD for my occasional snowy country road commute. The slow supercharging, while free has gotten a little bothersome and with the longer range Y I wont need to supercharge as much anyway. I’m still not 100% comfortable with the decision but I feel like the S might turn into a money pit over the next couple of years. My service center is an hour away; never an issue when I had the Ranger and pickup service but will be a pain in a car not under warranty.

Anyway, she’s been a great car, longest time I’ve ever had one car, but I think it’s time.

Have you considered this? My car is a 2017 but I’m going to see if the car can really go a million miles, so I’m planning ahead…
I this legit, I am skeptical, and my warranty was just up beginning of this year.

I agonized this past winter and spring as my warranty on my 2013 85 expired in March. Ended up ordering a Y which should arrive within the next month (but really who can tell with the ever changing delivery estimates?). My old S doesn’t really have any rattles, except for a loudish thunk when starting out, that a drive unit replacement didn’t fix. It fits like a comfy old shirt and with new tires, feels as smooth as day one. Mine is rear wheel drive though and I wanted AWD for my occasional snowy country road commute. The slow supercharging, while free has gotten a little bothersome and with the longer range Y I wont need to supercharge as much anyway. I’m still not 100% comfortable with the decision but I feel like the S might turn into a money pit over the next couple of years. My service center is an hour away; never an issue when I had the Ranger and pickup service but will be a pain in a car not under warranty.

Anyway, she’s been a great car, longest time I’ve ever had one car, but I think it’s time.
You sound like me agonizing!!! Ok, still agonizing for all the reasons, thank you for feeling my indecision