Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire and alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to reshoe my 2018 X, 100D. My local dealer has recommended the Continental brand and I see it is not run flat. I do carry a pump, I know it depends upon the nature to the puncture. Thoughts? 2k installed and aligned.
A ~$300 option I liked here: Any great new tire choices to replace OEM 20”?
TireRack shipped them to their 'partner' Firestone, who installed them for less than $100. There was no alignment since the previous ones were wearing evenly.

That's bad advice. TPMS does not have user serviceable batteries you see the earlier ones fail around 5 years. Unless OP has access to a tire machine, they will be paying a mount and balance fee to replace a TPMS.
HV batteries have failed under the 5 year mark should that be replaced as well. How about suspension components that may fail, just replace all those too, hell just replace the car because something MIGHT fail.

HV batteries have failed under the 5 year mark should that be replaced as well. How about suspension components that may fail, just replace all those too, hell just replace the car because something MIGHT fail.

You really want to die on a hill over $35? The cost to mount and balance is probably $20-25 a wheel. I own the hardware to mount and balance myself yet I replace my TPMS every 5 or so years. Do as you will. The industry recommendation is to replace the sensors they reach 5 years.

Reactions: henderrj
You really want to die on a hill over $35? The cost to mount and balance is probably $20-25 a wheel. I own the hardware to mount and balance myself yet I replace my TPMS every 5 or so years. Do as you will. The industry recommendation is to replace the sensors they reach 5 years.
Oh my die on a hill, so Now the car will spontaneously combust on a hill if a tpms sensor stops working? Just show me one report of a death due to TPMS failure. If only common sense could be taught

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
Tire Pressure Monitoring System no need to replace these as suggested
i have to agree with this one.
i own few cars with TPMS n never replace until they fail, haven't seen one fail in 5yrs yet
my 2013 bmw i bought in 2016 still has oem sensors in it...

i see ur point but i think ur wording is not the best here.
what about all the cars that don't even have tpms system??
good driver should know n check status of their tires regardless of tpms

Reactions: Operator64
It's not about checking pressure. I've disabled the system on my other cars because I swap wheels often. It's about an annoying nag screen and taking the time out of your day to do something later when you could do it now. If it were hundreds of dollars I'd leave them until they die, but for the cost it's a no brainer.

It's not about checking pressure. I've disabled the system on my other cars because I swap wheels often. It's about an annoying nag screen and taking the time out of your day to do something later when you could do it now. If it were hundreds of dollars I'd leave them until they die, but for the cost it's a no brainer.
You disabled them and you have not DIED yet I guess you avoid hills.

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston