Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Blow Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I was driving on the freeway at 65 when suddenly I heard a loud bang. There wasn't any debris on the ground, which I confirmed by checking the dashcam footage (I will post a video later today). About 15 seconds later the car told me tire pressure low pull over, thus I pulled over to the right shoulder.

My rear passenger continentals were destroyed when I pulled over ):
IMG_5261.JPG IMG_5385.JPG IMG_7593.JPG

I called Tesla Roadside, I was told that a tow truck will take 2 hours but a loaner tire will arrive in an hour. So I opted for a loaner tire. I was roughly 5 minutes away from the Costa Mesa SC.

The tire guy arrived with the loaner in approximately 45 minutes after my initial phone call to Tesla, however he seemed to be unfamiliar with the Tesla. (I will post the video of the tire replacement). I put the car in jack mode without him even telling me to do so. He also dropped the car a few times while attempting to jack up the car.
IMG_1814.JPG

It seems the side of the tire has two slashes. Any idea how this could have happened?
IMG_6477.JPG IMG_7480.JPG IMG_9042.JPG

The defective wheel was sent to the Costa Mesa SC. I am awaiting for them to follow up. Obviously it seems the tire is not repairable? Any idea how much this will cost? My rim's got heavily scratched as well. Will continental pay for the blow out? I am spending so much $$$ on this car!!

And this side panel thingy seemed to pop out? Is this an easy fix??
IMG_9245.JPG

I will post the dashcam video and tire replacement video shortly.

Actually that was my only rim that wasn't curb rashed.
@jerry33 may chime back in, but I believe pinch damage is from a straight-on contact with a curb or other hard-sided object. A significant pothole would qualify as well. It's like a pinch flat on a bicycle - you hit something so hard that it compresses the soft tire all the way to the rim and damages the air carrying capacity. You wouldn't necessary have curb rash in that situation.

• Informative
Reactions: diesel and K-MTG
I was more concerned by him not looking or feeling under the car for the actual lift point. Before he moved the jack, what was he lifting on? You may want to take a look.

Yea I will take it to the SC on Monday and have them check everything. Gonna be pricey, $428 for the new tire and $150 to fix the rim scratches. And I could possibly need alignment.

My loaner tire actually a Michelin snow tire

Looks like the guy changing the tire wanted to reposition the jack and you can see him slowly turn the handle counter clockwise and he must have turned it too quickly to lower the jack and it dropped your car. Quite careless to drop any car especially when he knows you are recording him...imagine when nobody is looking. The guy doesn't even look under the car to see if the jack is under the lift points.

Looks like the guy changing the tire wanted to reposition the jack and you can see him slowly turn the handle counter clockwise and he must have turned it too quickly to lower the jack and it dropped your car. Quite careless to drop any car especially when he knows you are recording him...imagine when nobody is looking. The guy doesn't even look under the car to see if the jack is under the lift points.

At least I got it on film so I am not liable for any damages he caused. Does it seems he is lifting the car in the correct position?

He didn't even tell me to put the car in jack mode (but I did anyways prior to his arrival). He did give me a sheet from Tesla to sign though.

The plastic trim on my MX looked like that my time of delivery. My SC had it fixed no problem. It was all under warranty so I don't know the costs. You'd need to ask the SC, but mine looks fine now.

You can have my 90D if you want ;). My P100D is in transit to me!