Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Blow Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jerry33 may chime back in, but I believe pinch damage is from a straight-on contact with a curb or other hard-sided object. A significant pothole would qualify as well. It's like a pinch flat on a bicycle - you hit something so hard that it compresses the soft tire all the way to the rim and damages the air carrying capacity. You wouldn't necessary have curb rash in that situation.

That's correct. The rim flange cuts through, or part way through, the sidewall of the tire. It's often not visible on the outside, and is exacerbated by low tire pressure. Interestingly, it's often caused by glancing blows--more to one side of the tire than the other, but not enough to the side to cause a curb rash.

The best preventative measures, other than not hitting the pothole or curb in the first place, are:

1. Avoid low profile tires. If you need more performance, get performance tires in a higher profile.

2. Use the vehicle placard pressure as a minimum that you never ever want to go below. Be sure to adjust for low ambient temperatures. Note that it's heat, not pressure, that kills tires.

Tire and wheel manufacturers have sold the public on low profile tires. This increases their profit dramatically at the expense of the consumer. They would be fine if roads were glass smooth, but roads actually have only minimal maintenance...

Is this covered under the tires warranty? How can I confirm my other tires aren't failing?
It would only be covered if you have a road-hazard policy.

If you have a trained eye, it is sometimes possible to see where the tire was hit. As the tire deteriorates, it's possible to feel where the carcass cords are broken. Before the destruction of the tire, the sidewall will bulge. Feeling with your hand is generally more accurate than looking with your eye (until your eye becomes educated--which takes an amount of practice that most folks never get).

Note that a radial indentation only indicates the splice in the tire--that's not a problem. It's indented because there are double the layers of carcass plies in that area. You are trying to feel for a bulge.

The plastic trim on my MX looked like that my time of delivery. My SC had it fixed no problem. It was all under warranty so I don't know the costs. You'd need to ask the SC, but mine looks fine now.

You can have my 90D if you want ;). My P100D is in transit to me!

I think I will have to pay $50 for it ):

Hopefully it can just be popped back into place

Is this covered under the tires warranty? How can I confirm my other tires aren't failing?

Where can I get a road hazard policy?
Discount Tire and other companies will sell you insurance on your tires. While it is too late for this one, you can buy insurance for the others and the replacement once you get a new tire. I had a screw in my tire since delivery day and it cost $250 to replace. Two weeks after it was replaced, I had another screw in another tire. I took it into Discount Tire and bought the tire warranty before they even looked at it. It ran me $20 per tire. Once they looked at it, they said it was not repairable and that the tire warranty would cover a replacement. They ordered a replacement but I ended up taking my car to the Service Center for a due bill issue before the replacement arrived. Discount Tire said they would cover repair or replacement costs at the Service Center.

Discount Tire and other companies will sell you insurance on your tires. While it is too late for this one, you can buy insurance for the others and the replacement once you get a new tire. I had a screw in my tire since delivery day and it cost $250 to replace. Two weeks after it was replaced, I had another screw in another tire. I took it into Discount Tire and bought the tire warranty before they even looked at it. It ran me $20 per tire. Once they looked at it, they said it was not repairable and that the tire warranty would cover a replacement. They ordered a replacement but I ended up taking my car to the Service Center for a due bill issue before the replacement arrived. Discount Tire said they would cover repair or replacement costs at the Service Center.

Thanks, I will look into this. I would assume I can always opt for the SC tire replacement, instead of having them do it? And they will reimburse the cost

Can you please provide me with a link? And I don't see any discount tire stores close by. I am in Orange County, CA. Does American Tire offer the same deal for my prexisiting tires?

Last edited:
Thanks, I will look into this. I would assume I can always opt for the SC tire replacement, instead of having them do it? And they will reimburse the cost

Can you please provide me with a link? And I don't see any discount tire stores close by. I am in Orange County, CA. Does American Tire offer the same deal for my prexisiting tires?
Discount Tire is known as American Tire in California. I haven't gone through the reimbursement process yet as I'm waiting to get my car back. When they first examined the tire and felt it couldn't be repaired, they immediately ordered a replacement tire that would've been free. They said I could take it to Tesla but I gave them the chance to replace it. The tire wasn't delivered before my scheduled SC appointment so I ended up having Tesla handle it.

Yes, they offer the warranty certificates on existing tires. I got the certificates for all original tires. A friend got the same coverage when he had them mount his original tires on aftermarket wheels.

I haven't read this but it might be what you've looking for: Certificate for Refund or Replacement - Discount Tire Direct

I notice the text says the tire must be purchased from them but they will sell coverage on existing tires. Perhaps there is a slightly different certificate for that. Might want to give them a call for more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIT_S60
Discount Tire is known as American Tire in California. I haven't gone through the reimbursement process yet as I'm waiting to get my car back. When they first examined the tire and felt it couldn't be repaired, they immediately ordered a replacement tire that would've been free. They said I could take it to Tesla but I gave them the chance to replace it. The tire wasn't delivered before my scheduled SC appointment so I ended up having Tesla handle it.

Yes, they offer the warranty certificates on existing tires. I got the certificates for all original tires. A friend got the same coverage when he had them mount his original tires on aftermarket wheels.

I haven't read this but it might be what you've looking for: Certificate for Refund or Replacement - Discount Tire Direct

I assumed that the special foam insulated Tires were only supplied by Tesla?
I will take it in to my local American Tire to see if they can provide anything: Certificate For Repair, Refund or Replacement | Discount Tire

I assumed that the special foam insulated Tires were only supplied by Tesla?
I think Tesla is the only car manufacturer using them right now, but they were developed by the tire manufacturers, not Tesla. I'd think Discount/American Tire could order them though they won't likely be in stock.

@jerry33 may chime back in, but I believe pinch damage is from a straight-on contact with a curb or other hard-sided object. A significant pothole would qualify as well. It's like a pinch flat on a bicycle - you hit something so hard that it compresses the soft tire all the way to the rim and damages the air carrying capacity. You wouldn't necessary have curb rash in that situation.

Yep incurred three significant potholes, and three sidewall pinches creating 2" vertical slices like @K-MTG
Luckily no curb rash on any of them, but the hits were hard and fast, as was the instant deflation.

One hit bottomed out the front bumper area, forcing misalignment between bumper and fender and around wheel well. SC straightened it all out. So check all that out. Tire costs hurt. But that roadside wheel swap is invaluable.....except for your dude. Poor.

It's also not unreasonable to expect that a service, hired by Tesla, would be familiar with Tesla vehicles, and thus know where the Tesla jack points are.
That's not something I would count on, as Tesla, no doubt, has a similar contract to the one your insurance company uses. In some areas the personnel will be familiar with Teslas and some areas they will not. Luck of the draw.

Reactions: Canuck
Where can I get a road hazard policy?

Having driven my 2006 Corvette Z06 with low profile / high performance tires for 10 years I can attest these tires are much more prone to damage like you experienced. Not a question of IF but WHEN... and these tire failures are not covered by either your vehicle manufacturer or your tire manufacturer's warranties.

This is why I drove 1 mile directly to America's Tire in Costa Mesa from the Tesla Delivery Center in Costa Mesa immediately upon taking delivery of my 2,600 mile "inventory" P85D with 21" Turbine wheels. I purchased 4 "Tire Certificates" for each of my 21" Continental ContiSilent tires even though these tires weren't new... and I didn't buy the tires from them. Since that time they're replaced 2 of my tires from "unrepairable road hazard" damage (nails in the tread close to the sidewall) at no charge, saving me bunch of money buying 2 new tires. They also offer FREE flat repair even if you didn't buy your tires from them... and FREE lifetime tire rotation and balance if you did.

Highly recommended.

America's Tire
2915 Bristol St
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

[email protected]
www.AmericasTire.com
(714) 979-1155

Reactions: jgrgnt and MP3Mike
Having driven my 2006 Corvette Z06 with low profile / high performance tires for 10 years I can attest these tires are much more prone to damage like you experienced. Not a question of IF but WHEN... and these tire failures are not covered by either your vehicle manufacturer or your tire manufacturer's warranties.

This is why I drove 1 mile directly to America's Tire in Costa Mesa from the Tesla Delivery Center in Costa Mesa immediately upon taking delivery of my 2,600 mile "inventory" P85D with 21" Turbine wheels. I purchased 4 "Tire Certificates" for each of my 21" Continental ContiSilent tires even though these tires weren't new... and I didn't buy the tires from them. Since that time they're replaced 2 of my tires from "unrepairable road hazard" damage (nails in the tread close to the sidewall) at no charge, saving me bunch of money buying 2 new tires. They also offer FREE flat repair even if you didn't buy your tires from them... and FREE lifetime tire rotation and balance if you did.

Highly recommended.

America's Tire
2915 Bristol St
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

[email protected]
www.AmericasTire.com
(714) 979-1155

Will go to them after I get my new tire from Tesla on Monday? How much did they charge for the warranty?

Will go to them after I get my new tire from Tesla on Monday? How much did they charge for the warranty?
In Colorado, they run $19.50 per tire, plus tax.

Attachments

• 14874561062121545712232.jpg
    14874561062121545712232.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 242
If possible buy your replacement tire from America's Tire instead of Tesla. It should be save you some $$$. America's Tire will match prices too... including TireRack.com price including delivery.

I paid $367 for the Continental Sport Contact 5P 245/35R21 tires plus $54.50 per tire for their Tire Certificates in August 2016. Yes only $218 to cover all 4 tires from all road hazards... No brainer considering I've had 2 replacements in 24,000 miles.