Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Blow Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the price of the "Tire Certificates" is computed as a percentage of the price of the tire. I'm guessing the $19.50 per tire certificate is probably for a much less expensive 19" tire than the expensive 21" Continental Sport Contact 5P on my P85D.
Not sure about that. At Discount Tire the price seems about the same regardless of tire type. Bear in mind that some cars with far less expensive tires have a much longer tread life so the possibility of a flat is increased.

What was the size, brand, model and price of the tire you bought the $19.50 tire certificate for?

The price of the tire certificates definitely is tied to the tire you buy:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-02-19 11.40.54.png
    Screenshot 2017-02-19 11.40.54.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2017-02-19 11.39.09.png
    Screenshot 2017-02-19 11.39.09.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 44
Why did I buy my tires from Costco?

1. 5 year warranty replacement – If for any reason your tire goes flat, Costco will attempt to repair the tire or give you credit for the percentage of tread that remains. If it goes flat and the tire is pretty close to full tread, they just replace it for free.
  2. Lifetime rotation & balancing – If you figure a rotation and balance at around $15, you can actually stop being a cheapskate and rotate your tires on schedule. The only pain is waiting for the service to be completed, which is quick if you arrive early morning on a weekday.
  3. Inflation with nitrogen – They use nitrogen which is supposed to keep pressure better than air with changing temperatures. It’s supposed to also stay inflated better. I don’t necessarily believe the hype but whatever. They also inflate to optimal pressures when they rotate and balance. WARNING: That’s why your tires have green inflation tube caps; you cannot put in regular air at the gas station!
The 5 year warranty is the primary reason why I pay the premium to get the tires installed at Costco. If you decide to use Costco, call ahead to make sure the tires are in stock. If they aren’t, all you need is your membership card and a deposit and they will order the tires in. Shipping is free and they usually arrive within seven to ten days.

1. Inflation with nitrogen – They use nitrogen which is supposed to keep pressure better than air with changing temperatures. It’s supposed to also stay inflated better. I don’t necessarily believe the hype but whatever. They also inflate to optimal pressures when they rotate and balance. WARNING: That’s why your tires have green inflation tube caps; you cannot put in regular air at the gas station!
This is just not correct.
1. Air is 80% nitrogen to start with.
2. The tire is not evacuated so nitrogen inflated tires are not 100% nitrogen to start with.
3. Nitrogen does none of the things claimed for it in normal applications.
4. Nitrogen may actually make the tires run hotter.
5. Racers use nitrogen for two reasons: A) It's guaranteed to be dry so when you are tuning the suspension to get that last 1/100th of a second reduction in lap time, the tires are consistent. B) At small tracks, there is often not electricity so nitrogen is as safe and cheap as anything.
6. Nitrogen has a place in underground mines, subways, and aircraft where, should a fire break out, no additional oxygen is added. This is not an issue for above ground applications as there is plenty of oxygen already in the air.
7. Nitrogen obeys the law of pure gases, just like any other gas. It will still change with temperature.
8. Before butyl was used in tubes and tubeless liners, oxygen escaped from the tire, so when a tire was first mounted it had to be inflated daily for a couple of weeks until the oxygen was gone. This isn't true today, and hasn't been true for several decades.
9. There is absolutely no harm done in topping up from your own compressor.

The takeaway is that nitrogen inflation is about as close to a scam as you can get. At best, it may not hurt. At worst it may shorten the tire's life by creating more heat because it takes the tire longer to reach thermal equilibrium.

Why did I buy my tires from Costco?

1. 5 year warranty replacement – If for any reason your tire goes flat, Costco will attempt to repair the tire or give you credit for the percentage of tread that remains. If it goes flat and the tire is pretty close to full tread, they just replace it for free.
  2. Lifetime rotation & balancing – If you figure a rotation and balance at around $15, you can actually stop being a cheapskate and rotate your tires on schedule. The only pain is waiting for the service to be completed, which is quick if you arrive early morning on a weekday.
  3. Inflation with nitrogen – They use nitrogen which is supposed to keep pressure better than air with changing temperatures. It’s supposed to also stay inflated better. I don’t necessarily believe the hype but whatever. They also inflate to optimal pressures when they rotate and balance. WARNING: That’s why your tires have green inflation tube caps; you cannot put in regular air at the gas station!

Costco is a good alternative to America's Tire... but

1. AmTire's warranty is NOT prorated by tread depth. You get a new tire for free as long as the tread depth is still within the manufacturer's specifications.

2. AmTire includes lifetime rotation, balance too

3. AmTire uses air which is available anywhere. Nitrogen filling stations are few and far between. We carry a ViAir compressor in our Tesla so we can add air anywhere we want. This is essential when temperatures drop and we get a low tire pressure warning... and more importantly when (not if) we get a slow leak from a tire puncture which we can refill enough to get us to an AmTire store instead of having to wait for Tesla or Auto Club Roadside Assistance to arrive.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I would have been having fits watching some guy drop my car that way! I had trouble getting through your video.
Looks to me like he's trying to release the jack slowly, but that there is something wrong with the jack that makes it release too quickly. It looks bad, but I can't imagine the Model X to be fragile enough to be harmed by those drops. If it is that fragile then we have much to be worried about.

The standard 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring tires that came with my new S in December.

Your $19.50 tire certificate cost makes sense for your 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring tires since your tires are a lot less expensive than the 21" Continental Sport Contact 5P tires on our P85D which cost $350 per tire.

AmTire sells $18.75 tire certificates for the similar 19" Goodyear Eagle RSA2 ($133 per tire).

Both certificates work out to be approximately 15% of the tire price and includes non-prorated replacement... which I think is an amazing deal on Tesla tire road hazard warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-02-19 13.32.47.png
    Screenshot 2017-02-19 13.32.47.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Under the Tesla Roadside assistance program, for a flat tire it says that if you are provided a loaner wheel and tire, your original tire and wheel will be sent to the SC and a new tire will be installed at your cost. Is there any way to get the loaner wheel and tire but purchase the replacement tire from Discount Tire?

Thanks, I will look into this. I would assume I can always opt for the SC tire replacement, instead of having them do it? And they will reimburse the cost

Can you please provide me with a link? And I don't see any discount tire stores close by. I am in Orange County, CA. Does American Tire offer the same deal for my prexisiting tires?
@K-MTG - in July last year, the right rear tire got a gash while parallel parking in SF. America's Tire replaced the tire for $297. I have the standard 20in Continental Cross Contact. At the same time I bought certificates for $134 for all 4 tires. Interesting note on the invoice said "Continental said the rears are being discontinued".

Under the Tesla Roadside assistance program, for a flat tire it says that if you are provided a loaner wheel and tire, your original tire and wheel will be sent to the SC and a new tire will be installed at your cost. Is there any way to get the loaner wheel and tire but purchase the replacement tire from Discount Tire?
No but roadside assistance will arrange a flatbed/tow to the tire store or location of your choice within a certain mileage limit. Its the reason I elect to pay the $400 to Tesla for a tire as I find the roadside wheel swap invaluable. My blows have been at night and within 30 minutes, they've got me on my way again. Priceless.

But from my understanding you can't purchase the exact tire outside of Tesla as it has some foam substance. Thus I will always have Tesla replace my tire of American Tire can't replace it. Will drop in tomorrow about the hazard warranty

America's Tire sells the ContiSilent ("CSI") tires. I know that's what they installed on my 2015 P85D last August.

CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 5P - CSI Tires | Passenger Tires Performance Tires Summer Tires Tires | Discount Tire

@K-MTG , what is more likely the case is that the America's Tire store didn't have it on-site, but would have to get it from the warehouse locally or shipped to the store from their distributer, vs. Tesla actually having them in-stock at the SvC.

Costco is a good alternative to America's Tire... but

1. AmTire's warranty is NOT prorated by tread depth. You get a new tire for free as long as the tread depth is still within the manufacturer's specifications.

2. AmTire includes lifetime rotation, balance too

3. AmTire uses air which is available anywhere. Nitrogen filling stations are few and far between. We carry a ViAir compressor in our Tesla so we can add air anywhere we want. This is essential when temperatures drop and we get a low tire pressure warning... and more importantly when (not if) we get a slow leak from a tire puncture which we can refill enough to get us to an AmTire store instead of having to wait for Tesla or Auto Club Roadside Assistance to arrive.
Any idea if the AmTire in Orange is okay, or would you recommend the Costa Mesa above other AmTires? I'm only around a thousand miles on my S, but I have terrible luck with tires so I'm looking at getting these certificates. I usually buy tires through Costco for my other vehicles, but the 245/45/R19 tires Costco sells are much more expensive than the Goodyear Eagles. Also, do all Tesla tires have these foam inserts? I haven't read about that before, but I'm trying to inform myself before buying tire certificates.

EDIT: It turns out AmTire quoted me based off of the Goodyear Eagle RSA2, not the newer Eagle Touring TO Tesla, which I don't see in their system.

Last edited: