Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure monitoring system needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my TPMS replaced yesterday. The rear lift-gate was also making a noise -- apparently one of the struts needed replacing. Got charged the $200 for the ESA. It is per service visit -- not part. So, if you can group a few things that would save you some money. But disappointed that they charged me 60 some bucks to rotate my tires -- especially since they had to take all 4 wheels off anyways. I was previously told tire rotations were covered by my service plan (even have an email) -- and the adviser said she'd remove the charge at drop off. I trusted it was removed and the adviser told me the extra fees were due to the high taxes.... But it wasn't removed and I didn't realize such till I drove away. Ranting a bit, I emailed them and hopefully the rotation cost it is removed.

Anyways, it is pretty nice seeing the tire pressures on all tires. I took me a bit to figure out where to find the data. I thought it would be somewhere on the main screen -- but it isn't. You have to hold down the thumb wheels and change one side to car status.

So I just got this this weekend as well. Interestingly it is colder, so I expect a battery that is on it's way out.

It so happens I also got a low-pressure warning on a tire that has a slow leak, so I suspect that means the master TPMS system is OK, and it's just one of the senders.

Since my car is: 1) out of warranty, 2) About 5-1/2 years old, and 3) uses the older system that doesn't display individual pressures, I'm considering my options.

A) Replace one sensor.

B) Replace all 4 sensors, as I assume they'd all start to go about the same time

C) Upgrade the system to the newer style with pressure readouts

A couple of questions:

- Any estimates on costs for sensors vs full system upgrade from Tesla?

- Any recommendations on aftermarket replacements for first-gen sensors?

- Any other thoughts or gotchas?

Thanks...

So since this time, I had two tires replaced and had the shop scan the tire sensors. They said none of them were reporting low battery (which I didn't realize they were capable of).

They reset the tire pressure system. Warning came back a day later. Since then, resets fails.

So I suspect I may have a bad vehicle-side sensor somewhere... (although I know at least one wheel works, as it would report low with the small leak I had..)

@hpartsch : Did they replace your TPMS with the upgraded system? What service center did you use?
@Mjsais: What service center did you use?

I'm asking this because the Tyco Road Service Center (northern Virginia) is telling me I have to pay the entire cost of the upgrade, which comes to about $650. My 2013 MS is under the extended warranty. When I took it in to the service center, they checked the vehicle and informed me that 3 of the 4 sensors were bad. They've had my car for a week now --- guess they had to wait for parts?

I mentioned to them that others have reported being charged only the $200 ESA deductible. They said they would check on it. A day later I received a text telling me the cost would be the $650 figure.

@hpartsch : Did they replace your TPMS with the upgraded system? What service center did you use?
@Mjsais: What service center did you use?

I'm asking this because the Tyco Road Service Center (northern Virginia) is telling me I have to pay the entire cost of the upgrade, which comes to about $650. My 2013 MS is under the extended warranty. When I took it in to the service center, they checked the vehicle and informed me that 3 of the 4 sensors were bad. They've had my car for a week now --- guess they had to wait for parts?

I mentioned to them that others have reported being charged only the $200 ESA deductible. They said they would check on it. A day later I received a text telling me the cost would be the $650 figure.

Yes, it was replaced under the extended warranty. I, unfortunately, don't have the electronic invoice -- because I never got an email from the rep who checked me out (Yes, I requested such and was told it would be sent, so I threw away the paper one)... I've also sent 2 emails in regards to being charged for the requested tire rotation -- even though I attached the email stating I was told with the purchased service plan it is recommended and included by the then assistant manager. I've received zero responses from them. I initially thought it was because they were busy -- so I waited until after the new year to send the second email. The only thing I can recommend is to maybe try a new service center or request to speak to the manager. I'm wondering if somehow their performance is now tied to service $$ generated considering I was told the rotation would be free during check-in (after showing the email), then when checking out told the 280 bucks charge was the 200 dollar ESA deductible and taxes.... I was not given the invoice to see until after they charged my credit card (now looking back -- this was very shady and I got a weird vibe when I commented on the price as being significantly higher than 200 bucks). However, I did not look over it thoroughly till I was already on the road as I trusted them. This clearly was a fail on my part.

The Bellevue service center has otherwise been great besides this shady tire rotation incident charge and lack of email responses in regards to it.

Last edited:
I picked up my S today. I reminded them that I know of other service centers who have upgraded the system on ESA vehicles for only the $200 deductible. They agreed to honor that.

I've always had good service from the Tyco Road service center, and this is further confirmation of that good service.

Interestingly, they also replaced all the lug nuts on my wheels. Not certain why they did that. I've heard others say that the lug nuts can get rounded very easily. All my services have been completed by Tesla --- first at Rockville MD (before the Tyco Road center opened), and then at Tyco Road. The tires were rotated at each annual service visit, and they were replaced when worn out. So I estimate that the original lug nuts were touched only 6 times. Hmmmmm....

Reactions: hpartsch
FWIW, our TPMS sensors are made with a non-replaceable battery. That battery has a nominal 5 year life. If you are getting tires replaced and have five+ year old TPMS sensors, do think about having the sensors replaced at the same time to avoid the extra costs of unmouting and remounting the tire.

• Helpful
Reactions: mambro
...Interestingly, they also replaced all the lug nuts on my wheels. Not certain why they did that. I've heard others say that the lug nuts can get rounded very easily...
Take a look at this member's blog for the original capped lug nuts vs. the new stock lug nuts on his turbines. Some folks are getting them replaced by a Service Center proactively, some are paying $1 or $3 each, depending on when/where they have it done. I fell into the $3 each camp and was told $1 was "the old price" plus my car is not under the bumper-2-bumper coverage any longer. :)

2018.08.12: Concept Car Styling

Hello,

While the TPMS system is certainly useful, it can be quite a chore on some cars to maintain, or downright expensive. I am the maker of some TPMS simulators devices, currently they are good for European Suzuki cars only, and I was looking into expanding them. Not sure whether the model S can be a suitable candidates for them. Does anyone feel any need for them at $60 (50 euros) ? I'll be needing a volunteer if so, more details in private.

Advantages:
- no need to program it to the car's ECU (for those non-automatic learning type of sensors).
- corded / replaceable batteries - you do not buy new sensors every 5 - 7 years, especially nice when there are more than one set of wheels in use with your vehicle.
- you will not get these autumn / spring warnings caused by temperature fluctuations.
- no such issues caused by some aftermarket sensors that would not fit into the rims.
- pass the periodic vehicle inspection if your state enforces functional TPMS.
- reversible: the next owner will be able to remove the device and install pressure sensors.

Disadvantages:
- obviously no TPMS functionality.
- if you are involved in a tyre related car accident and your insurance company detects a spoofed TPMS, no more monetary claims you can make; of course, if he can detect that.

8055696E-A424-445B-8378-33C0FBED25D9.jpeg
I changed the 3 volt battery to clear the error
I have changed battery too. Hopefully after replace battery it working fine. The old battery has voltage below 2volts
For my opinion it was quite difficult also I have big risks to damage it during opening.
If someone wont to replace battery I highly recommend to heat plastic case, also you should re solder battery contact while/during taking pcb plate.

Last edited:
I recently had the TPMS fault indicator come up, so after about a week of it not going away, I took it to the service center to take a look at it. They measured voltage of each one and said they all needed to be replaced. I decided not to do it, and they said "OK, let's make sure your tires are properly inflated before you go". After inflating all the tires to 45psi, the TMPS fault indicator went away.

I'm guessing that I had one or more low tires, the TPMS was trying to tell me that one or more were low, somehow failed in its attempt to notify me, and that triggered the TPMS fault indicator.

Bottom line : if you get a TPMS fault indicator, make sure your tires are properly inflated to 45psi (19" tires) before contacting service center.

I have submitted too many tickets to count.
History, burned thru 2 sets of rear tires in 2017, replaced sensors, got winter set of wheels/tires summer 2018. Put on in October. Reset TPMS system. Worked fine, April went back to summer tires. TPMS reset fine.
October put on winter set, RESET OPTION is gone from Service screen. GONE. I called Draper. 4 times. Idiot said there never was reset mode. Then he say go to SC for reset. I drive 50 miles. Guy at desk says all sensors r bad. No, I have been there a dozen times with same set of tires, you cked pressure in March when j replaced motor.
It must happened on v9?
I got another email from Draper, Go to SC for reset.
Please ck your cars, tell me if TPMS reset option is still there?

U r correct, I went tire shop, they said all sensors were good. Mine are new .
Got email from Draper last night. THEY SAID GO TO TPMS RESET. I red high lighted it and sent it back, saying NO, it's gone.
I think the sw is not working on Antiques like mine. I think the new sw took it away by mistake.
I hated v9, I hate v10. Another story.