Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is flat out false. Most of us do indeed make "bones" about it but the difference is that we work cooperatively with Tesla toward a solution. We provide valuable feedback and they spend a lot of service hours dealing with their mistakes. I prefer to assume the best intentions, so my belief is that they want the vehicle to be the best it can be, just as I do.

You haven't looked around this forum if you think people just accept anything. Maybe we are just more willing to work with a company side by side instead of pitting ourselves head to head.

Really many here have said just the opposite.... They have many paint issues and just deal with it because it's the EV dream car.

I am an auto and tech enthusiast..... That's the draw to the Model X for me. I love the latest and greatest.

auto enthusiast? tech enthusiast? really?

You neither seemed to interested in the 'auto' part of it (EV drive train with smooth, silkly acceleration, performance, self-driving) nor the 'technology' part of it (over the air updates, iPad like interface, cooling and heating remotely, never have to go to a gas station, fastest charging as of today).

But instead chose to focus on one thing - paint - which in some sense, is neither auto nor technology. As if that is the be all and end all of automobile innovation.

This is beyond funny, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question-- if EV and driver assistance is meaningless to you, what about the Model X made it worth $112,000 to you? That's so much more than luxury ICE SUVs would cost.

Tech, speed, drive ability, and cool factor....plus I am/ was a huge Elon fan.

I thought it was just a fade till I took a ride in a P85d and loved the way it drove and accelerated.

My Model S (and it is an early 2013) had perfect paint upon delivery (now it has 57k miles worth of wear and tear...). Best of any car I've owned. Perfect, glass-like. Last BMW had small amount of nearly invisible orange peel on rear quarter panel. Car before that had other minor issues. Was thrilled when I saw my car at the factory and it had the best paint of any car I'd owned. Never felt like I had to sacrifice paint quality for a Tesla, but I guess others see it differently. Quite disappointing to see paint issues, and 3x in a row seems like the most terrible luck ever.

• Funny
Reactions: Vitold and TheQ
auto enthusiast? tech enthusiast? really?

You neither seemed to interested in the 'auto' part of it (EV drive train with smooth, silkly acceleration, performance, self-driving) nor the 'technology' part of it (over the air updates, iPad like interface, cooling and heating remotely, never have to go to a gas station, fastest charging as of today).

But instead chose to focus on one thing - paint - which in some sense, is neither auto nor technology. As if that is the be all and end all of automobile innovation.

This is beyond funny, guys.

Paint quality and appearance is something that is important to people, and I don't think it helps to minimize that.

Remember that many Apple fans were up in arms about the chipping anodization on the black iPhone 5 (Google for "scuffgate" for the gory details), and more recently, Apple has taken a lot of criticism for exterior corrosion on the iPhone 6s, which appears to be another anodization problem.

Reactions: TheQ
My Model S (and it is an early 2013) had perfect paint upon delivery (now it has 57k miles worth of wear and tear...). Best of any car I've owned. Perfect, glass-like. Last BMW had small amount of nearly invisible orange peel on rear quarter panel. Car before that had other minor issues. Was thrilled when I saw my car at the factory and it had the best paint of any car I'd owned. Never felt like I had to sacrifice paint quality for a Tesla, but I guess others see it differently. Quite disappointing to see paint issues, and 3x in a row seems like the most terrible luck ever.

See this is the right response, thank you. And I have also seen many Teslas with perfect paint why should I have to accept less?

See this is the right response, thank you. And I have also seen many Teslas with perfect paint why should I have to accept less?

You shouldn't. But do you apply the same standards to other manufacturers and demand the best performance and technology? Or do you stop with paint quality?

The issue here is not your obsession to perfection to paint. But your ridiculing and trivializing all things EV.

The gas gaints honestly they have nothing going on in their cars. It's the same old same old piece of junk. So they try to differentiate in cosmetic things like paint and expensive leather and chrome and wood and stuff. And the unfortunate thing is there are still people who get enamored by those things and fail to demand disruptive advances in driving comfort.

You shouldn't. But do you apply the same standards to other manufacturers and demand the best performance and technology? Or do you stop with paint quality?

The issue here is not your obsession to perfection to paint. But your ridiculing and trivializing all things EV.

The gas gaints honestly they have nothing going on in their cars. It's the same old same old piece of junk. So they try to differentiate in cosmetic things like paint and expensive leather and chrome and wood and stuff. And the unfortunate thing is there are still people who get enamored by those things and fail to demand disruptive advances in driving comfort.

I do demand the same things from all my high end purchases. That's why I have only purchased Japenesse and German cars. I do think it's unfair to say that unless a car has an electric motor that's there is nothing special about it. My R8 is a supercar marvel with a custom twin turbo system over 900hp that has amazing custom craftsmanship. My GL450 drives awesome for an SUV and can go 600 miles on one tank of gas and has great power. Drove 1100 miles the other day in 14 hours, no tesla can do that. Both cars have amazing interiors with great and detailed craftsmen ship. Tesla could certainly learn things from these cars.

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

I hate to break the news to you but I highly doubt Elon Musk reads the threads here.

That's a strange reply from someone who said:

stock holders take notice.....

If you liked the reply that "3x in a row seems like the most terrible luck ever", and you have "also seen many Teslas with perfect paint" then what are the odds of this happening again? It seems like a one off to me. Why should I be selling my shares over this?

If you liked the reply that "3x in a row seems like the most terrible luck ever", and you have "also seen many Teslas with perfect paint" then what are the odds of this happening again? It seems like a one off to me. Why should I be selling my shares over this?

You should take notice because QUALITY CONTROL obviously sucks! And in the long run and at much bigger scale problems will kill your/Teslas profits.

You should take notice because QUALITY CONTROL obviously sucks! And in the long run and at much bigger scale problems will kills your profits.

Oh, I see. It's of no concern to me. I'll hold onto my shares. I've read enough of your posts to conclude that you're one of those people who thrive on conflict, and who are best to avoid both in my personal and professional life. This post of yours especially made my eye's roll:

I do demand the same things from all my high end purchases. That's why I have only purchased Japenesse and German cars. I do think it's unfair to say that unless a car has an electric motor that's there is nothing special about it. My R8 is a supercar marvel with a custom twin turbo system over 900hp that has amazing custom craftsmanship. My GL450 drives awesome for an SUV and can go 600 miles on one tank of gas and has great power. Drove 1100 miles the other day in 14 hours, no tesla can do that. Both cars have amazing interiors with great and detailed craftsmen ship. Tesla could certainly learn things from these cars.

Yes, no Tesla can go 1100 miles in 14 hours. Isn't that a little obvious? You're point is? Oh, it was just to take a nice little jab completely unrelated to your paint problems. It didn't hurt. I enjoy Supercharger stops much better than gas stations for the times I travel. And no gas stations or Superchargers for the majority of time when I'm home.

And there's nothing special about an electric motor? You sure lost me there.

I wish you all the best with your ICE vehicles from the German and Japanese.

I hate to break the news to you but I highly doubt Elon Musk reads the threads here.

That's a strange reply from someone who said:

Everytime someone mentions stock or company shares on a post I take everything with huge grain of salt.

Reactions: MikeC and Canuck