Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Performance or not to performance... AWD? P? I can't decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it will make you feel better I ordered a P3D with 18"s and we are not getting any 5K refund. Tesla is unfairly picking favorites and only giving refunds to the P3Ds with 20"s.

...because they spent an additional $5k for brakes, suspension and wheel/tire set which you didn't spend. If you didn't spend the extra, you don't deserve to get the extra expense refunded. Nobody does, but especially not people that didn't spend it in the first place. That's not picking favorites, that's math.

GUYS.

Big new plot twist just happened. My local store just called me and said they are selling a test drive vehicle. Has a couple hundred miles on it. Here’s the thing...

Model 3 Performance
White interior
Pear white paint
Autopilot

Asking price: $57k.

Obviously I’m super tempted given the good price. What are some things I should look out for when I go take a look at it?
Ask them for pictures and posted on here so we can see. Check the front bumper, rims, etc
I wouldn’t hesitate, as long as the mileage is reasonable. If you don’t take it, let them know that I’m in CA and I’ll take it...

Hi guys,
Looking for some words of wisdom here and to be swayed so I can finalize my order. I took the M3P out for a test drive and was blown away.

I haven't yet taken the standard AWD/Dual motor out yet as they didn't have any available. My order is currently for standard dual motor. Especially with the new lower P price, I can afford it. But, is it worth it?

-I'm likely not going to be making it to the track too often.
-I do love the red brakes, bigger tires, and of course the extra 1.2sec 0-60 time is awesome, but will it get old fast?
-Is 4.5 still PLENTY fast? And on the highway does AWD do just as good at overtaking as the P if you're already going around 50? These are the tough questions...

Someone please make this ultimate first world problem decision for me.

I order mine like a hot dog...
everything on it!

Surprised I didn't see this thread earlier as I went through the same decision, to P or not.

Ultimately I decided to just get a straight M3D with no EAP. I don't currently need EAP as my driving is nearly all that where it would not be relevant, suburban two lane or country two lane. Also any M3 is a great drivers car and I actually enjoy driving again with it.

Biggest reason for me though why I didn't get the P or EAP is that extra $16k is the price of a PV solar system for our home after rebate for our home or very close to it. Extra performance that I won't be able to fully use the majority of the time or energy resilience and the ability to power our home and my car by the sun the majority of the time? Was an easy decision framed that way for me. EAP would be nice and is good value at $5k but for my driving I wouldn't really be able to use it much of the time. I do wish TACC was a separate option though.

After a week of driving I have a little regret of not getting the P but really the AWD car is damn fast and certainly faster factoring the instant torque than most anything else out there. Everytime I stab the accelerator I enjoy it. Track mode would definitely be cool though. Possibly in 2-3 years the M3D could become my wifes commuter with EAP enabled and I then will get something more performance orientated.

Money always has opportunity cost, just comes down to how you want to apply it.

Hi guys,
Looking for some words of wisdom here and to be swayed so I can finalize my order. I took the M3P out for a test drive and was blown away.

I haven't yet taken the standard AWD/Dual motor out yet as they didn't have any available. My order is currently for standard dual motor. Especially with the new lower P price, I can afford it. But, is it worth it?

-I'm likely not going to be making it to the track too often.
-I do love the red brakes, bigger tires, and of course the extra 1.2sec 0-60 time is awesome, but will it get old fast?
-Is 4.5 still PLENTY fast? And on the highway does AWD do just as good at overtaking as the P if you're already going around 50? These are the tough questions...

Someone please make this ultimate first world problem decision for me.
I ❤️ my AWD non-“performance” M3! I’m not passing other Teslas. I’m passing ICe vehicles that do not have the instant torque of an EV. The M3 AWD dual motor is crazy quick, and I doubt there is much of a torque difference at 40-60 MPH between it and the “perfomance” version. But get the carbon fiber spoiler if it makes you feel good. What makes me feel good is knowing the capital I’m giving to Tesla with my purchase will enable them to sell more EVs, further reducing dependence on foreign oil, and reducing my personal carbon footprint.

If it will make you feel better I ordered a P3D with 18"s and we are not getting any 5K refund. Tesla is unfairly picking favorites and only giving refunds to the P3Ds with 20"s.
i'm sorry you aren't getting a refund but how did you get a p3d with 18" wheels? that's what i want to save money on winter wheels but they won't sell it that way now - I guess it must have been different before?

Also currently tesla only sells the 20" winter wheels, the 18" wheels on the "shopping" section of tesla.com won't work on p3.

i'm sorry you aren't getting a refund but how did you get a p3d with 18" wheels? that's what i want to save money on winter wheels but they won't sell it that way now - I guess it must have been different before?

Also currently tesla only sells the 20" winter wheels, the 18" wheels on the "shopping" section of tesla.com won't work on p3.

Until pretty recently 18s were the standard wheel on the P3D.

The 20s were part of a $5000 option package.

Now they just include that option package with all P3Ds at no extra cost and you can't remove it even if you wanted to.

great thread. I test drove the P and went with the 3D as it provided more value. You will rarely get to maximize the performance out of the P in streets unless you track it. In normal everyday driving, the differences are minimal and not worth the premium. But if funds are a complete non-issue, the P of course should be your choice.

• Love
Reactions: MatildaModelY
P3d+ owner.

I friggin LOVE the car. Love the looks with the red calipers, big wheels. Love the improved stopping power (highly underrated feature imo). The acceleration makes me feel like a king among serfs. So thankful everyday that I'm lucky.

That being said, I got the P with free supercharging to try and make up for the upgrade price. Now that there's no charging I'd hesitate.

Also unless you have the couch money like others have said you can do a lot with 11k. Get the AWD and go on a 11k trip to see some of the wonders of the world. You will come out ahead.

The AWD or even the rwd are already amazing enough cars.

But again I love the p3d. When is some company going to make a cool P3D badge...

P3d+ owner.

I friggin LOVE the car. Love the looks with the red calipers, big wheels. Love the improved stopping power (highly underrated feature imo).

Bigger brakes are useful for track use (or coming down off Pikes Peak at speed, or in the chase scene of a bourne movie) because they can handle repeated non-street-legal-speed stops over and over without having time to cool off. But in normal street use there's literally no difference whatsoever in how short a distance the car can stop in.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

...because they spent an additional $5k for brakes, suspension and wheel/tire set which you didn't spend. If you didn't spend the extra, you don't deserve to get the extra expense refunded. Nobody does, but especially not people that didn't spend it in the first place. That's not picking favorites, that's math.
That's bad math. P3D- got 5K less in parts when compared to what people are getting now for the same price. Elon's argument was that its all a wash because we got FUSC and the new people don't. When we argued that FUSC is not worth 5K worth of parts, he said he would trade our FUSC for 5K. We agreed. Yes we are not entitled to the 5K back that we never paid. We just want what Elon promised -- a trade of FUSC for 5K -- something he argued is of equal value. Also he made that offer to all performance variants. That's what he wrote in his tweet "P3".