Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top 3 and bottom 3 things about M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Top Likes:
  • Performance, it's awesome.
  • One pedal driving
  • Autopilot
Top Dislikes:
  • Road noise, if you have a new one it may be a bit quieter, but it's quite loud even without an ICE. It's louder than many cars with ICEs. It's not just the tires either like some people like to claim.
  • Backseat room for a car seat, it only fits behind my passenger seat and I'm average height, not overly tall.
  • No spare tire. Like many newer cars, there's no spare. This always worries me when I travel.

Top Likes:
  • Performance, it's awesome.
  • One pedal driving
  • Autopilot
Top Dislikes:
  • Road noise, if you have a new one it may be a bit quieter, but it's quite loud even without an ICE. It's louder than many cars with ICEs. It's not just the tires either like some people like to claim.
  • Backseat room for a car seat, it only fits behind my passenger seat and I'm average height, not overly tall.
  • No spare tire. Like many newer cars, there's no spare. This always worries me when I travel.
I think the road noise is either hit and miss based on build, or might depend on what car type you are coming from. Just picked up my model 3 Friday and drove it 200 miles at 80+ on a windy day in Kansas. It's quieter than my Taurus SHO was or my wife's Charger RT.

Hi,

Just joined recently and pick up my M3P on 25th March.

Just interested to know what things you and like and don't like about the M3? (3 of each perhaps?)

TIA

Isnt this kind of information someone wants before they order? You have already decided to order, so what is your plan with this information, other than "starting a discussion"?

Why not tell us the top 3 reasons you choose to order, and the top three reasons that were holding you back from ordering?

Dislikes
1. Have to use Transport Mode (Towing) for the car to free roll through a car wash if you don't sit inside (most here in NY)
2. No blindspot lights in the mirrors/a-pillar
3. No Rear-Cross-Traffic alerts when backing up if a car or person enters your path

1. One-foot driving, full control of acceleration and braking w/o using the brake pedal. Similar to a manual, BUT better!
2. Silky smooth acceleration that will always put a smile on your face
3. Over-the-air updates keep the car fresh, even after 1.5 years of ownership

Reactions: Bwettt and SlimJim
Like:

Autopilot
Charge at home = no "refueling" stops ever, unless on a road trip
Performance

Dislike:
No cooled seats
Inadequate adjustment types + range of available adjustments on the seats (e.g., extendable thigh support not there, range of base tilt insufficient)
no carplay

Top things:

1) Technology. I'm a tech junkie, and this car is like being in heaven
2) 75% reduction in fuel cost
3) Being "green"

Bottom things:

1) Traffic aware cruise control
2) Traffic aware cruise control
3) Traffic aware cruise control

In case you missed it, I *HATE* the cruise control in this car. My last car had what was called adaptive cruise control, but it could be shut down in favor of an old style cruise control that merely holds the set speed. I wish this technology-company-that-manufactures-cars could do the same. Traffic aware cruise control is appropriate on a highway, as stated in the owner's manual, but not anywhere else. In my Tesla, driving on a 45 mile per hour road with cruise control engaged, if a car crosses your path, the cruise control frequently slams on the brakes unnecessarily. Why?

I've even experienced times when the cruise control slams on the brake while driving on a highway when there was no vehicle in front of me for at least 1/4 mile. If the road dips and then rises, that seems to confuse the cruise control and there is a momentary braking event that is uncomfortable.

"Hey Elon, how about a basic cruise control option for our cars?"

• Acceleration, handling and regen braking
  • Computer-on-wheels: Touchscreen interface, user settings and profiles, OTA updates
  • Being able to refuel at home
Disikes:
  • Rear visibility, especially at night, due to dimmed mirrors, small interior mirror, high rear deck
  • Difficulty judging proximity to curb on passenger side when parking
  • Rear seat releases that are easily accessible by breaking the rear quarter windows

TOP:
1. Frictionless day to day operation -- the experience from getting in the car and actually going somewhere
2. NAV unit. Entering a destination/addy/poi is just planets away in simplicity compared to anything else
3. On-tap performance.

BOTTOM:
1. TACC/Autosteer/AP is trash IMO. And the single most overrated aspect of the car.
2. Just a tad too much reliance on touch-screen interaction. Browsing through entertainment options with touch and type is not so ...safe
3. The feverish fanboy club is almost embarassing. Not as much on this site, but especially elsewhere.

Top.

1) I actually look forward to driving again. I try to find an excuse to drive the Tesla every chance I get.
2) Torque
3) Not having to pay for premium gas.

Bottom:

1) No blindspot detection on mirrors which is where we should be looking, not on the screen.
2) Panel gaps and poor quality control coming out of the factory. Fit and finish not up to par with other high end manufacturers.
3) Tesla fanboys.

I think the road noise is either hit and miss based on build, or might depend on what car type you are coming from. Just picked up my model 3 Friday and drove it 200 miles at 80+ on a windy day in Kansas. It's quieter than my Taurus SHO was or my wife's Charger RT.

I tend to agree with Jeff .. it's not horrid by any means, but its not nearly as quiet as other cars in the same price bracket.

Reactions: zhu- and JeffK
1. Being able to run climate control without car running, activated remotely also.
1. One pedal driving which was enabled via OTA update like voice command.
1. Keylessness. And I have all my family members' phones linked up and they can open doors without me being the first to open the door.

Detests:

1. No BSM indicator light on exterior mirrors.
1. No way to tilt only the passenger side mirror in reverse. Just retarded that it tilts the driver side mirror also.
1. Wipers in auto mode is the worst in the automotive industry by an unbelievably large margin.
(I would list phantom braking also but I have not purchased Autopilot because of it so I cannot complain about it yet).

Isnt this kind of information someone wants before they order? You have already decided to order, so what is your plan with this information, other than "starting a discussion"?

Why not tell us the top 3 reasons you choose to order, and the top three reasons that were holding you back from ordering?

Good question...

Reasons to order
I love technology and wanted to experience this as an earlyish adopter
Its on my company car list and works out cheaper than running my own car
Its green and will save me going to the fuel station

Reasons not to order
Price - even though its quite good value, still a lot of money, but now on Company car list
Attached to my S Class :-(

Top Likes:
  • Performance.
  • Autopilot
  • OTA updates
Top Dislikes:
  • HVAC - Climate control struggles to achieve target temps. Has to be in Auto mode to work acceptably and even then it is rarely set and forget like in ICE cars
  • Road noise above 60mph
  • Poor Media interface for Radio & Streaming

Reactions: Watts_Up