Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear new series - more Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was. You could see the Dual Motor badge at the back in some shots.[/Q
Ha I noticed that too.

And we all tut and say "typical Tesla"

Its like when they gave MKBHD a badly built one. You'd think they'd at least screw the press demonstrators together properly
Pretty typical they give the Tesla to a Comedian to drive (I use the term Comedian loosely) Harris would have beaten them easily in the Tesla so rigged a bit as usual, to be fair at the end all 3 of them said they would have had the Tesla and the Caraoke (is that right ?) bit was funny !

Reactions: EVMeister
Did you notice it also suffered from the classic water in the tail light "feature" when they were doing the Caraoke?

Little hint for Tesla, if you're going to send a car to the worlds biggest motoring show, you might want to make sure it is built properly?

Not sure why everyone is beating up TG? Granted a low point was the Chris Evans series, followed closely by Matt LeBlanc (although that was watchable) ... yes yes, Jeremy Clarkson Etal were brilliant, but that ship has sailed (and the grand tour hosted by them is now pretty poor to watch imo). These 3 are pretty funny now in fairness , and they all rated the Tesla highly

I volunteer as tribute.

I will watch and let you know what it’s like. When’s it on?

I've seen the episode.

It's not to my taste, very boorish with lots of incoherent shouting and I just didn't find it entertaining. I think they missed a trick with the final 'camping' scene which would have been perfect to demo 'camp mode' with the glass roof and combustion-engine-less climate control. The careoke segment was nice if a bit twee.

Reactions: Gasman23
Not sure why everyone is beating up TG? Granted a low point was the Chris Evans series, followed closely by Matt LeBlanc (although that was watchable) ... yes yes, Jeremy Clarkson Etal were brilliant, but that ship has sailed (and the grand tour hosted by them is now pretty poor to watch imo). These 3 are pretty funny now in fairness , and they all rated the Tesla highly

Agreed, they’re never going to be as good as Jezza, James and Richard but they’re a pretty good “B” team.

Only thing they need to nail is the banter during the studio segments, it feels a bit forced sometimes but hopefully it’ll get better the more the longer they’re working together.

Did you notice it also suffered from the classic water in the tail light "feature" when they were doing the Caraoke?

Little hint for Tesla, if you're going to send a car to the worlds biggest motoring show, you might want to make sure it is built properly?

I noticed the water / condensation as well. If mine was a 20 plate I would have thought it was my car. I have water in my rear lights and the same frunk gap on the right if you look at the car. When mine goes into the service centre this week I can imagine them saying they are all like that, did you see Top Gear.

It was refreshing to see the tesla given a fair crack against the ICE.. not silly scenes of trying to plug 13 amp plugs through kitchen windows.

As for the 3 of them.. first one I've watched where they seemed to genuinely get on with each other rather.. maybe I'll keep watching..

I've seen the episode.

It's not to my taste, very boorish with lots of incoherent shouting and I just didn't find it entertaining. I think they missed a trick with the final 'camping' scene which would have been perfect to demo 'camp mode' with the glass roof and combustion-engine-less climate control. The careoke segment was nice if a bit twee.
Yeah, a missed opportunity to show how effective an EV is for that sort of thing. Climate control with zero emissions. He could have even put the fireplace thing on the screen for ambience.

I was actually disappointed at that part because it felt like the Model 3 was cheated of one it’s real difference makers compared to the two ICE vehicles, in service of a fairly weak joke.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
I noticed the water / condensation as well. If mine was a 20 plate I would have thought it was my car. I have water in my rear lights and the same frunk gap on the right if you look at the car. When mine goes into the service centre this week I can imagine them saying they are all like that, did you see Top Gear.
Have you tried giving the rubber stopper a turn clockwise on the right?

The bonnet can be adjusted fairly easily, but it does require a bit of trial and error to get it to be true, and I’m not 100% convinced you can get it perfect.

I went through the process a bit here:
Forward adjustment on hood (gap)

Sure it was a missed opportunity to really showcase the 3 but let’s be honest, it’s a hell of a stretch to call what they did a car review/comparison. It was just 3 guys larking around in the name of mediocre entertainment

To be fair did not mind the program and my main takeaway was the fact that when it came to company cars a full EV was on the list.

£50K for the BMW though . I does amuse me though the discussion about when EV's will have price parity with ICE but in Europe they need to put so much hybrid gubbins in the car to meet emissions standards that I think that point has been reached.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
It was refreshing to see the tesla given a fair crack against the ICE.. not silly scenes of trying to plug 13 amp plugs through kitchen windows.

What they should have done, and applies to EV's in general, is to have had the Model 3 just do a splash and dash. Then having it plugged in during the stadium visit. That may well have changed the common misconception that you need to spend prolonged periods of time waiting around to charge, when you could be getting on and doing other things. But of course, that wouldn't have given time to so the karaoke stunt.

They should also tame the childish pranks, like when Chris was driving around the kart track.

[edited for typos/clarity]

Last edited:
Reactions: stonecoldrmw
It was interesting for me to see quite a few roads that I recognised. I used to commute to Bolton and live near the go kart track that they visited.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in a 330e before it was written off and also a 530e as a passenger and from what I can see too many were bought as company cars to get a reduced benefit in kind tax and a proportion of them would be better off in a diesel. My friend who had them (still has the 530e) had a daily commute of 120 miles round trip and the range was about 25 miles on electric, although I believe the newer models are higher. He also never charges at home, only at work. He’s not really benefitting too much by being a hybrid, just reduced tax.

He says “I won’t voluntary go full electric until I can get to London and back without refuelling.” I have pointed out on several occasions that he can’t get to London and back in his 530e as it has a small petrol tank, so why did he get it?

Have you tried giving the rubber stopper a turn clockwise on the right?

The bonnet can be adjusted fairly easily, but it does require a bit of trial and error to get it to be true, and I’m not 100% convinced you can get it perfect.

I went through the process a bit here:
Forward adjustment on hood (gap)

Yeah, tried the wheels. As you look at my bonet the right hand side is up. So the rubber wheel is turned in as far as it will go to bring it down and its still not enough. It looks just like the one on Top Gear. Service center are saying it needs a new bonnet and bumper.

What they should have done, and applies to EV's in general, is to have had the Model 3 ding a splash and dash. Then having it plugged in during the stadium visit. That may well have changed the common misconception that you need to spend prolonged periods of time waiting around to charge, when you could be getting on and doing other things. But of course, that wouldn't have given time to so the karaoke stint.

They should tame the childish pranks, like when Chris was driving around the kart track.
This is a good point. Motoring journalists do seem to concentrate on charge times, and what you do whilst you wait. As most of us charge up at home, we probably think " What's charging time? I wake up in the morning and have enough fuel for the day, every day

Reactions: Adopado
This is a good point. Motoring journalists do seem to concentrate on charge times, and what you do whilst you wait. As most of us charge up at home, we probably think " What's charging time? I wake up in the morning and have enough fuel for the day, every day

That's one of the worst bits that puts people in the wrong mindset. On almost every car review you're told how long it takes to charge from 0-80% on fast charge and on mains... the later always being horrendous.

As you say, the common model means you're almost never doing this, you're just topping off a few percent over the many hours you're home asleep. Or 30-45 mins at a supercharger to give you a bit more range.

I guess it's a real easy to compare metric, so they like it... but unfortunately it's an ICE view of the world (akin to going to a petrol station to fill up), and really doesn't help someone see why an EV can work for them.