Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Three Modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radlaw

Charles
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
Here are my top 3 modifications to my T-3"
1) SUMA tinted door mirrors with lighted directional signals-love them every time I make a turn
2) Modified screen angled to driver-so easy to see the monitor
3) Stronger trunk struts & springs (not automatic)-trunk pops open for grocery pick-ups

While I'm at it, here are my bottom 3:
1) Roof wind noise suppression gaskets- dislodged, ineffective, so I removed them
2) Trunk cargo net-top screws fell out the 1st time I put groceries in it
3) Waste "basket" cups that fit in door-what a waste, wouldn't fit & fell apart.

What are yours?

Reactions: HTWOMS and bcpm3p
Top 3:
  1. Dual sunglasses center console tray (way more useful than the design w/ coin holder you see everywhere) https://www.mymod3.com/product-page/sunglasses-tray
  2. Center console LED - the phone tray area is so dark and this lights up the area when you flip up the center console cubby lid https://www.mymod3.com/product-page/center-console-led-light
  3. Abstract Ocean LED replacements (footwells, puddle lights, trunk lights) - helps with the dark interior
Bottom 3:
  1. Roof wind gasket - no noise improvement and damaged/deformed OEM seal slightly
  2. Others are just accessories I was unhappy with:
  • Roof sunshade - too annoying to remove and put back in
  • molded mud flaps - do more damage to the paint then they likely prevent

Reactions: bcpm3p
Top 3:
  1. Dual sunglasses center console tray (way more useful than the design w/ coin holder you see everywhere) https://www.mymod3.com/product-page/sunglasses-tray
  2. Center console LED - the phone tray area is so dark and this lights up the area when you flip up the center console cubby lid https://www.mymod3.com/product-page/center-console-led-light
Bottom:
  • Roof sunshade - too annoying to remove and put back
Everything on MyMode: https://www.mymod3.com/ is sold out.
I leave my roof sunshades, front & back, in all the time.

My favorites.

1 - Teslaoffer power trunk/frunk. Tesla really should just include these from the factory.

2 - Logo projecting door lights. Every single person who has seen my car noticed and expressed WOW.

3 - SUMK Real Carbon Fiber Spoiler.

Least Favorite

1 - PPF. I could replace the bumper for less than I spent protecting the bumper. And the PPF installation was not great so on day one, there were more imperfections than the car would have accumulated over a several years. I would probably like a lot more it if I was happy with the installation. I wish tesla offered this as a factory option. Surely it would be cheaper and end up looking better applying it to the panels before assembling the car.

2 - Center console lid cubby. Storage space is too small to fit anything useful. And anything small enough to get in, is too small to easily get out. Impacts the usable space in the center console more than I expected.

3 - OttoStick Magnetic Front License Plate Holder. I actually works great, but I have just found that I rarely want to take on the risk of driving plateless. It's just going on the list because I don't use it enough to justify the price.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f308gt4
Top 3
  1. MUD FLAPS.
  2. Centre console vinyl wrap (matte).
  3. Tesla's all-weather mats. They just fit well and look good IMO.
  4. Honorable mention: OBD-II pigtail harness to access the CAN bus data.
Bottom 3
  1. Also mud flaps? The kind I got scratch the paint underneath. Bittersweet.
  2. Door button stickers. Never helped a single person know how to exit the car without me telling them.
  3. Door handle "PPF". Too fussy to install so I never did it, and the handles don't appear to have collected scratches after a year anyways.
Model 3
(just had to keep it going for the joke, carry on)

Top 3

Suma Blind spot mirror
Real carbon fiber cover for wood trim and center console
Window tint

Bottom 3

Taptes wireless charger- it’s fine, but I don’t really use it.
Carbon fiber wrap for center console- replaced it with real carbon fiber. Much better
Roof wind gasket. Don’t think it does much, will probably remove at some point.

I’ll add a forth: Tesla key fob. Phone key works great, never use the key fob.

My favorites.

1 - Teslaoffer power trunk/frunk. Tesla really should just include these from the factory.

2 - Logo projecting door lights. Every single person who has seen my car noticed and expressed WOW.

3 - SUMK Real Carbon Fiber Spoiler.

Least Favorite

1 - PPF. I could replace the bumper for less than I spent protecting the bumper. And the PPF installation was not great so on day one, there were more imperfections than the car would have accumulated over a several years. I would probably like a lot more it if I was happy with the installation. I wish tesla offered this as a factory option. Surely it would be cheaper and end up looking better applying it to the panels before assembling the car.

2 - Center console lid cubby. Storage space is too small to fit anything useful. And anything small enough to get in, is too small to easily get out. Impacts the usable space in the center console more than I expected.

3 - OttoStick Magnetic Front License Plate Holder. I actually works great, but I have just found that I rarely want to take on the risk of driving plateless. It's just going on the list because I don't use it enough to justify the price.
Any issues with the SUMK spoiler. Been eyeing it on amazon. And I can have it stat. Been waiting on RPM Tesla over 3 weeks. Do I cancel or wait?

Top 3
  1. Abstract Ocean center console wrap - The factory black gloss center console is terrible; smudges and scratches easy. I’m not normally a fan of wraps, but I like this one.
  2. Abstract Ocean PWS isolation kit
  3. Trunk area cover - Don’t recall the brand, but it’s a lightweight fabric-type cover that covers well. Didn’t want a bulky, rubberized cover.

Bottom 3
  1. Tesla Paint Protection Film Kit - Don’t like that it is a 2-piece per side kit. Also didn’t think the pieces lined up well. Ended up making my own bottom half.
  2. Tesla charger adapter holder for Model 3 trunk (3D printed part) - It’s not that I don’t like the part itself, it’s having to open the trunk to get to the adapter I don’t like. So, I didn’t use this part much. I ended up keeping the adapter in the center console instead.
  3. Don’t have a 3rd. :D

Everything on MyMode: https://www.mymod3.com/ is sold out.
I leave my roof sunshades, front & back, in all the time.
Yea a forum member @chojn1 runs the mymod3 shop but I'm not sure he's still producing anything - love his stuff. I basically wanted to use roof sunshades for camping trips but didn't like playing around with all of the clips taking it down in between. If I wanted to keep them in all the time I would've kept them but I like the openness outside of camping.

Top 3:
  1. Ceramic coating - Makes washing SO much easier and the added gloss on the red paint makes it really pop. I went with EVO Quartz 9H this time around.
  2. Taptes Wireless Charger - Simple, convenient, very useful, and doesn't overheat my phone like another car currently does.
  3. Maxpider 3D all weather floor mats - Effective, high quality, great fit, attractive (after replacing the logos), and easy to clean. Can't ask for more.
Honorable mention: Abstract Ocean bright trunk and door puddle LEDS. The stock ones are useless. I used to use my phone flashlight when digging through the trunk.

Bottom - these are really just accessories:
  1. Taptes USB hub (previous gen) - Not a true hub. Also, while it hides my SSD and cleans up the wiring a bit for a neater appearance, I find that I rarely ever see the bottom of the console anyway. I have a sunglasses/coin tray that covers any would-be mess when I open the console lid.
  2. Abstract Ocean Trunk brushed steel sill protector - Poor fit and kind of ugly. Ultimately decided not to install.
Top 3 Want List:
  1. Suspension upgrade and/or sway bar(s) to improve handling but not compromise comfort
  2. Acceleration boost upgrade
  3. An OEM quality heads up display, which I recognize may never happen

Any issues with the SUMK spoiler. Been eyeing it on amazon. And I can have it stat. Been waiting on RPM Tesla over 3 weeks. Do I cancel or wait?

I love it. I can't imagine how RPM's could be any better. It
looks great: just like Tesla's. And I'm pretty confident the tape will never come loose. I tried to adjust one end by half a millimeter a few seconds after I installed it, and could not get the tape loose to make the adjustment.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sightman
Top 3

Suma Blind spot mirror
Real carbon fiber cover for wood trim and center console
Window tint

Bottom 3

Taptes wireless charger- it’s fine, but I don’t really use it.
Carbon fiber wrap for center console- replaced it with real carbon fiber. Much better
Roof wind gasket. Don’t think it does much, will probably remove at some point.

I’ll add a forth: Tesla key fob. Phone key works great, never use the key fob.

Which brand/vendor did you go with for the cover?

Can you provide more details on this?
Vendor - Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

The thread is in the model S forum but it works on model 3 too.
That's ScanMyTesla, which is just one app than can use the OBD-II pigtail. But a good one. Basically it gives you access to a whole bunch of internal signals (many of which can be misinterpreted!)

The actual pigtail adapter is something like this, though there are a few different sources (but I can't link to them right now): Geotab HRN-CT20T1

There are two different kinds depending on when your vehicle was built. Newer Model 3s (and maybe Ys?) might come with an OBD-II port set up from the factory, but I haven't seen it here yet (just in right now China apparently).

Note that if you come across it, the "EVTV Motor Werks" solution is a completely different product and not what I'm referring to.