Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn Between Dual Motor LR and Performance [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a ridiculous statement. So those of us with performance are either looking to race in the street or compensating for low self esteem? How about we just enjoy the added performance, handling and appearance in all situations. Absurd.

I think its a way to make them feel better about not being able to afford the extra 20k. I’d buy a performance y if I could afford it, but the awd drive is pretty sweet.

honestly if by the model s plaid plus is money is no object :)

If you are even considering the Performance version and can afford, just get it.

If you don’t, everytime you see one you will be like I wonder how it would of been if I just got the performance one.

Everyone will have their preferences and depends what YOU do with your car.

Write down the pros/cons of both. Then pick which ones fits YOU.

Sure I would of been happy with just the LR awd but I ended up getting the Performance model because it fitted my lifestyle and I wanted the top model.

In the end who cares what others think, get what works for YOU!

If you are even considering the performance version and can afford, just get it.

If you don’t, everytime you see one you will be like I wonder how it would of been if I just got the performance one.
There is so much truth to that.

I've been married for 24 years. And every time I've purchased a car during those years, I'd always purchase one trim level down from the top of the line. "It's only one step down from the top of the line. I'm fine with that," I'd say to my wife when purchasing. Then throughout our ownership of the car, my wife had to listen to me voice my regrets and wonder what the top of the line was really like.

When it came time to buy our Tesla, we test drove the LR AWD. "It's only one step down from the top of the line. I'm fine with that," I said. My wife immediately spoke up, saying: "I've listened to you say that for 23 years. Not this time." She then turned to the sales rep, "What do you have in the Model 3 Performance?" And that's when Bluebird was born. God, I love that woman.

Good advice from everyone here....except maybe the guy who thinks you have to be compensating for something to buy a performance model?! I'm not "made of money", so it IS a consideration, but, I can afford the difference in the price with no issues. So.....if I was SURE the acceleration was really significantly different from the AWD w/boost, AND I was sure the low profile tires and bigger wheels would not be an issue (damage, etc), I'd get the performance! I don't know.....when I did my test drive 5 weeks ago, I was happy with the AWD, now I am just doubting my decision because the wait is so darn hard! And hey....if Biden reworks the EV incentive to make Tesla eligible again, that would pay for the difference. Still not sure what I am going to do. Better decide soon so my delivery date does not get pushed back too much.

Reactions: TBrownTX
That last sentence is what I am afraid of! There's some truth to the first paragraph as well. That's why I am on the fence. Nobody really answered my original question (or maybe I did not post it?). How does the ride compare between the performance and the LR AWD with 18inch stockers?

I was in the same conundrum as you: to go with LR AWD w/ boost or just go all out and get the M3P.

Money was not an issue for me. And like you, I come from a background where I've had multiple high-performance cars.

I "settled" for the LR AWD and it is so quick as it is that I didn't even bother with the boost.

Note that the acceleration is all relative. I've not had anyone beat me off the line and the power is more than enough for a daily driver.

I love the 18" rims as the ride is super comfortable and I don't need to worry about bent rims. This was the main reason why I didn't go with the M3P. The 20" rims would be a no-go for me.

Do I regret my decision? Nope. I'd get another LR AWD again over the performance model, given my needs.

I test drove a M3 SR in early January. First time in a M3 and I was blown away by the acceleration (I have a 2014 Tundra, aka "Tank"). I opted for the LR over the performance and ordered it immediately after the test drive. For me, the LR with AWD will have more than enough performance. I couldn't see the price uplift for the performance model. Instead I used part of that cost for red and 19in wheels on the LR. I'm 50, lower cars make my life harder. I'm in line for a cybertruck but I'm about 500k in line. Probably wont see it for me until 2023 at the earliest. I plan to trade the M3 in when the CT comes. Or perhaps if I really fall in love with the M3, I'll keep it and cancel the CT. The great thing about these cars is that they depreciate so slowly that if you want to change your mind later or go with a different model, the penalty is not nearly as bad as other brands. Just some thoughts.

nice name!

Reactions: Phlier
My previous car is BMW F80 M3 comp pkg. It depends on what you drive now, the LR w/o acceleration boost is already very fast for many people.

I did the comparison briefly and chose the M3P. The difference of the $6K gets you
-20" uberturbine wheels (the design is okay, the color looks nice. I don't really care for big wheel. If Tesla is serious about performance, they should put 18" wheels on the car)
-carbon fiber spoiler (looks nice)
-aluminum alloy pedals (looks nice)
-bigger brakes (looks nice and good to have on this heavy car)
-sports suspension (never ride in regular Model 3, so not sure if the difference is noticeable)
-faster 0-60 and 1/4 acceleration (priceless)

I wanted top of the line performance if it's affordable and don't need the extra range. To me the additional $100/month ($6K over 60 months) doesn't make a difference, and it just feels good to know that I can be faster than most cars on the road from a light when I need it. Go with what makes you happy and what suits your lifestyle.

I've gone through that thought process a lot, and I've decided on getting a Performance in the spring (which is pretty much May where I live, lol) vs. a LR with boost. For me the difference is Track Mode. I want to do some autocross events in town, and I'm within an hours' drive of a pretty nice track that even has 11kW Wall Connectors on-site.

From what I hear, it's pretty much impossible to drive a AWD LR model on a track or autocross course, the vehicle control software steps in and and makes that type of driving impossible.

Range-wise, if you fit the Performance with aerodynamic 18" wheels (like the Fast EV-01+) and the same OEM Michelin tires as the LR, you'll get the same range as the LR as well. You could probably sell the Stock 20" wheels and tires, but those, and still come out a few dollars ahead.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I've gone through that thought process a lot, and I've decided on getting a Performance in the spring (which is pretty much May where I live, lol) vs. a LR with boost. For me the difference is Track Mode. I want to do some autocross events in town, and I'm within an hours' drive of a pretty nice track that even has 11kW Wall Connectors on-site.

From what I hear, it's pretty much impossible to drive a AWD LR model on a track or autocross course, the vehicle control software steps in and and makes that type of driving impossible.

Range-wise, if you fit the Performance with aerodynamic 18" wheels (like the Fast EV-01+) and the same OEM Michelin tires as the LR, you'll get the same range as the LR as well. You could probably sell the Stock 20" wheels and tires, but those, and still come out a few dollars ahead.

Good advice....I ended up calling Tesla and switching to a Performance model. I don't need it, but I would always wonder if I didn't get it. And yes....I would love to find someone with the dark 19" performance wheels who was interested in swapping. I like the extra sidewall, but mainly I need all season tires. Where's the best place to sell/trade Tesla stuff?

Good advice....I ended up calling Tesla and switching to a Performance model. I don't need it, but I would always wonder if I didn't get it. And yes....I would love to find someone with the dark 19" performance wheels who was interested in swapping. I like the extra sidewall, but mainly I need all season tires. Where's the best place to sell/trade Tesla stuff?
Congrats excellent choice. You won’t regret it. Check classifieds here, Reddit and the other Tesla forums. I am thinking of doing the same although you can put 20 inch all seasons on as well.

I chose the LR AWD + boost and for me it came down not to money, but to the stiffer, lowered suspension and larger wheels/summer tires. It's already a semi-stiff ride and low. If it made those things better, I would have paid for it in a second, but the last thing I wanted was to make them worse. In six months I've never had anyone come close to beating me from a stoplight. The closest anyone got was a really nice, fast looking Jag that revved its engine and roared off the line, and when I got to 60 he was two car lengths behind me. If I could have gotten the performance with the normal suspension and wheels/tires, I might have done that, but as it is, I've never regretted getting the LR+.

• Helpful
I chose the LR AWD + boost and for me it came down not to money, but to the stiffer, lowered suspension and larger wheels/summer tires. It's already a semi-stiff ride and low. If it made those things better, I would have paid for it in a second, but the last thing I wanted was to make them worse. In six months I've never had anyone come close to beating me from a stoplight. The closest anyone got was a really nice, fast looking Jag that revved its engine and roared off the line, and when I got to 60 he was two car lengths behind me. If I could have gotten the performance with the normal suspension and wheels/tires, I might have done that, but as it is, I've never regretted getting the LR+.

The only time a car was remotely close to me was when it was a Model 3 LR+ :D I lost a couple times to a Model S Performance...those things are pretty fast :D

The ride comfort is the big benefit to the LR. Maybe they will bring back stealths at some point, the best of both worlds.

I did the exact thing you did (or may do). Ordered a LR after driving both, there was definitely a difference but I said that with the AB it would be close. I did the same math you did, only I live in MA so I would get an extra $2500 rebate(only good if price is <$50K). Also add $2K for new tires/wheels. But I eventually said to myself, do I want to forever regret not getting what I want? I justified cost by saying it would be financed, which AB would not. And I like the look of the P better, the lower suspension, the summer tires in the summer. Not planning on tracking it. I personally think it's worth it knowing I have the one I want and the one that excites me. I bought 18" wheels and snows for around $1800 on TireRack, so far it handles great in the 2 snowstorms I drove it in. Haven't driven it in summer yet.
I think the extra performance comes partly from software but also partly from "binning" the motors (or so I've heard and read on these forums).

• Love
Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Depending at the altitude the OP lives, even the LR might be quicker than an M4. As far as LR vs P, I think the P has a different (more robust) rear motor, for what I remember reading, but not sure. And also weighs more, but forgot the difference. To me, the suspension would be a deal-breaker; the LR is just about perfect IMO: firm, but still compliant. Anything stiffer, and my wife would object, just like she objects riding on a 2019 Bullitt I have, even with Magneride. Another deal-breaker for me would be any less range than the LR, since it's significantly less in winter, and at high (TX) highway speeds. Our first trip was at the limit of acceptable range, so the perfect decision in that regard. And as mentioned, the car is plenty quick, and I'm used to fast sports cars too. At any rate, only an extensive test drive would answer the question of which model might be the better choice. Good luck.

• Informative
Depending at the altitude the OP lives, even the LR might be quicker than an M4..

Internet tells me 0-60-mph time of 4.1 seconds with the manual transmission, and 3.8 seconds for the Competition mode on the M4.

LR AWD is 3.9 stock. 3.5 with the boost upgrade.

(all times with 1 foot rollout)

Plus the Tesla is way cheaper.

AFAIK the AWD+ at $48,990 is the quickest car available under 50k.

Even under 60k it's #3 quickest on the list

(1 and 2 are the base C8 Vette and Tesla Model 3 Performance that both do 3 flat but vette is slightly quicker in the 1/4 as a tie breaker.. numbers 4 and 5 are the Audi RS3 and... the Tesla Model 3 LR AWD without boost)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: akenham