Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a call from service advisor asking me to complete my order. I asked him about the hitch and he had no information about it at this time. I told him to reach back out after I had an opportunity to at least sit in the car. I’m worried about the rear hatch area, load height, and availability of a hitch. I have a hitch-mounted bike rack and a small 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer I built that I need to tow occasionally.

I will be trading in my Model 3 and also need to get an idea in resale value.

Imagine that if Tesla does not include a trailer hitch, that the aftermarket will fill the void.
The problem with this is -- insurance. If you get hit in the rear and the hitch isn't factory supported, they could claim the hitch caused extra damage and deny your claim.

Might not happen - but it's a risk with aftermarket vs. factory.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
What is the configuration of you M3 that you got a trade-in quote for? If you don’t mind, what was the value? Are you happy with what Tesla offered?
LR AWD with about 4000 miles for somewhere around $48k. Thanks to federal and state tax credits and the trade-in sales tax discount, I think we actually make money, meaning we had the car for 7 months and will get everything back and then some.

Yep, and the walk-around video in this post is the same. The area that was open in the pre-production units is enclosed and smooth (i.e. no access panel to remove). This is VERY disappointing if true. Glad I'm not one of the first deliveries now! This may even impact my purchase decision.

Reactions: lnsh
Yep, and the walk-around video in this post is the same. The area that was open in the pre-production units is enclosed and smooth (i.e. no access panel to remove). This is VERY disappointing if true. Glad I'm not one of the first deliveries now! This may even impact my purchase decision.

Agreed. I use a cargo carrier on my Model X for trips with 2 kids and 2 dogs. Hitch is a requirement for me.. oh well.

Reactions: lnsh
To be fair. The photo you're referencing is super grainy in that area. Hard to be confident about a fine detail like that. The walk around video also looks like the access door is there at the very beginning of the video.

I'm in the same boat. I'm hopeful, but the lack of a setup that allows a rear bike rack pretty-much delays or cancels my purchase. If there is official information before my delivery messaging, I may 'delay' until I can talk to one of the third-party hitch operations like Torklift.

It will likely be a few months after initial deliveries before they'll be able to assess if/how they'll be able to provide something similar to the Model 3 setups.

I put my $2500 down shortly after announcement anticipating late-year delivery -- so I guess I've got time for more info/options to come to light.

sigh... fingers crossed.

• Helpful
Reactions: gene
It may be that Tesla can save several hundred $ per car by not including a tow hitch on initial production.

Tow hitch will add lots of extra weight and cost. Not including it as as standard item might also enable a higher EPA e rating as well.

Will simplify production and be one less thing to worry about on production ramp.

Then they could add towing capacity at a later date, as a demand lever, to get a fresh batch of orders.

Not saying that this is the case, and the tow package might be coming as a standard item, right out of the gate, but it is more usual for a manufacturer to offer a factory tow package as an extra cost option for buyers.

It may be that a significant tow package will entail additional motor cooling, suspension enhancements, sway controller software, larger tires/wheels etc.

Tow package might also require air suspension, or some other way to adjust ride height for the additional load on the rear.

Believe that is one of the reasons that the Model X changed away from coil springs as standard, and made adjustable air suspension a standard item when the tow package also became standard.

Comprimise might be a light duty standard tow hitch, useful for small utility trailers, bike/accessory racks etc. (best guess)

To pile on here :) I, too, am waiting on a Model Y until a hitch is confirmed. I have a model S, and my wife is still in a Subaru. To replace the Subaru, the Y has to have a hitch; primarily for a bike rack (3 bikes) but also for a small trailer. For those that think an aftermarket hitch is fine, there is something to consider; the Y body is aluminum, the hitch will be steel. Dissimilar metals will cause galvanic corrosion. Google hitch corrosion issues on the Model S, or search for it in this forum. A factory hitch will be sure to address this, aftermarket exposes you to risk, and not just in the event of an insurance claim as noted above.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce and iustin
Copied from a similar thread because I feel like everyone is getting worked up over nothing:

I disagree that the walk around and the photo above show a lack of the hitch cut out. I mentioned in another thread, but the picture above is pretty zoomed in and I would say at best it is inconclusive that there is a hitch.
upload_2020-3-4_14-40-16-png.517954

Here is a close up of a recently spotted, and presumably production, Model Y. The hitch cut out is pretty discrete even in this higher res close up.
upload_2020-3-4_14-41-59-png.517955

Even the walk around video looks like it has the door.
upload_2020-3-4_14-46-26-png.517956

I think its premature to say they're shipping cars without this feature that every tester car has had.
Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

• Informative
Reactions: gene