TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Towbar on a Model S

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ColinA, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ColinA

ColinA Member

I am aware that some in Australia have installed and use the aftermarket add on I've linked to below - Tesla in Sydney told me about it. I'm keen to know your experiences. This tow bar sounds good in that it requires no drilling or modifications to the car itself. The one thing it does not provide though is the lights/indicator connection. How have those that have this implemented lights?

I have a trailer I need to tow that contains my radio controlled jets (a very obsessive hobby!). I don't need to tow it long distances, but I do need to tow it. A decision on this determines whether I still keep my BMW X3 primarily for towing after my Tesla arrives, or whether I can sell it and go "all in".

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085475_yes-teslas-can-tow-model-s-trailer-hitch-installation-video

Cheers,
    Colin

2. lennier

lennier Member

Be aware (in case you haven't watched that video all the way through) that it does require one significant modification - a large cutout in your rear bumper! So there's no (easy) going back :)

3. ColinA

ColinA Member

I'm not so sure... it looks to me like it sits under the rear bumper from the photos I can see. I dont have my Tesla yet, so it is a little hard for me to be sure.

TB1.jpg TB2.jpg

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Is the Torklift product available in Australia? You may be able to import it. Why not ask your question on the USA section?

5. ColinA

ColinA Member

We can order it from the company in the USA. They have shipped a number of them to Australia, although I don't know how many. There are already US based discussions on this, I was looking for Australian experiences, local installers used etc

6. ColinA

ColinA Member

I heard back from the ecohitch folks. They sent me the installation manual. Apparently you do have to cut a hole in the fascia. That is the only thing though. No drilling or additional mount points, it uses the bolts already there.

7. Balus

Balus New Member

So Colin, did you go ahead and order it?

8. ColinA

ColinA Member

No... decided in the end it was an all round bad idea. For now I'm just going to keep my X3 for when I need to tow.

9. garyjac

garyjac Member

Wise decision indeed as I believe it would invalidate the warranty. Tesla say that the Model S is not designed for towing.

10. TesAus

TesAus Member

I agree, but I wonder what the basis for Tesla's position is? The drivetrains are (to my knowledge) the same as a model X and that has a towing capacity of two tonnes I believe?

I can only assume it is therefore related to the chassis not being built to take the loads at the logical points of attachment?

Could it relate to the rear facing child seats in some markets (eg a trailer coming loose entering the trunk area?)

It seems odd that they can't offer an official Tesla towbar even if it were only rated for say one tonne (allowing a small box trailer, bike rack or similar to be used?)

11. paulp

paulp Member

Could also be the lack of a wiring harnass, and the difficulty of installing one?

12. ColinA

ColinA Member

Interesting too that Model 3 will have a towbar option (according to one of Elon's tweets)

13. paulp

paulp Member

I read a while back that there will ulimately be 3 versions of the 3, one of which will be a crossover. So I guess resolving a towbar is important for that duplication.

14. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Are you sure it would invalidate the warranty? I asked about a tow bar for a bike rack and the reply was: "In regards to the rear bike rack, it doesn’t void the entire warranty of the car, just anything that is directly affected by the modification."

15. garyjac

garyjac Member

"...anything directly affected..." could be the main chassis components...a very messy can of worms.

16. Mark E

Mark E Member

Indeed. Friends of mine had a proper tower fitted to a Maxima. The Maxima ended up starting to crack around its rear end - even with the bracing from the tower...

17. Broas

Broas New Member

Has anyone installed Brink's Towbar for Model S?

18. ColinA

ColinA Member

19. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I have tow hitches on both my Model S's no issues in over 100,000 miles.

The cutout is no big deal -url