Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towed back to Tesla after driving only 32 miles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a brand new Model Y Performance (VIN 44XXX) this evening from Mount Kisco, NY, drove it back to CT where it broke down as I was backing out of a driveway. Reverse lights stayed on, several warning lights popped up on the display and the car wouldn't move, I couldn't select any gears. Battery had 71% charge remaining and while this is my first Tesla ownership experience, I have driven several before.

Warning lights were:
  1. Power Reduced
  2. Acceleration and Top Speed Reduced
  3. Automatic Emergency Braking Disabled
The car appeared to reboot itself several times with no improvement, reverse lights stayed on the entire time even though it was in park and the A/C compressor would not shut off despite trying to shut the hvac system off. Getting in and out of the car per one of the warning light suggestions didn't fix anything, just made my family and I look silly :)

I called Tesla service who looked at the car remotely but could not identify the problem. We performed the Power Off function and waited 2 minutes, then turned the car back on, but it failed to resolve the issue and all warning lights stayed on. At that point Tesla's only remedy was to tow it back to Mount Kisco.

Tow driver seemed to think it was a computer module related to the A/C compressor. Not sure and will certainly update this thread when Tesla figures out what went wrong.

I will say that while I'm sure this will get figured out, it really is disappointing. I mean really Tesla, after 32 miles the $60K car completely stops working?? What kind of car company do you bring a checklist of expected quality defects to your delivery appointment, find some defects (relatively minor) that will need to be fixed on another date that you have to set up, then drive away and get stranded when the car just stops working all of a sudden. The lead up to my delivery wasn't exactly stellar either (Tesla rescheduled my delivery appointment right before I was going to leave to go pick it up, because they didn't actually have the car yet).

I love Tesla, and I'll love my Model Y Performance, though I'm a little bitter at the moment. If anyone has any tips or experience on how to handle this with Tesla, I'll gladly take any advice. Thanks in advance and good luck with your delivery experience.
Reverse Lights Stayed On in Park.jpg
AEB Disabled.jpg
Accel & Top Speed Reduced.jpg
Power Reduced.jpg
Tow.jpg

Thanks for the tip Zecar, I called Tesla Mount Kisco Service right when they opened at 8 a.m. Had to leave a voicemail as no one picked up the phone, but will keep trying until I get to speak with someone.

Quick update from Tesla service: they informed me that a firmware update had failed yesterday, which was thought to be the culprit and why the car shut down unexpectedly. Tesla reloaded it today and everything looked good until they took it for a test drive and the same warning lights and performance issues came back.

Next steps are to test all the wiring since they're not sure what's wrong. No estimate for how long the process will take. Not the quick resolution I was looking for, but I am thankful it happened again while in their hands so that I didn't have it happen again with me after I brought it back to CT.

No loaners are available so I get Uber vouchers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryan - I do hope it's a simple connection and your experience does sound eerily familiar.

Balthezor - I'm thankful it shut down while backing out of a driveway, though it was actually a relative's driveway and I was showing the car off and everyone thought it was awesome, up until it broken down in their driveway and blocked everyone in. Pretty sure I didn't make any Tesla fans as a result of that :)

Quick update from Tesla service: they informed me that a firmware update had failed yesterday, which was thought to be the culprit and why the car shut down unexpectedly. Tesla reloaded it today and everything looked good until they took it for a test drive and the same warning lights and performance issues came back.

Next steps are to test all the wiring since they're not sure what's wrong. No estimate for how long the process will take. Not the quick resolution I was looking for, but I am thankful it happened again while in their hands so that I didn't have it happen again with me after I brought it back to CT.

No loaners are available so I get Uber vouchers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryan - I do hope it's a simple connection and your experience does sound eerily familiar.

Balthezor - I'm thankful it shut down while backing out of a driveway, though it was actually a relative's driveway and I was showing the car off and everyone thought it was awesome, up until it broken down in their driveway and blocked everyone in. Pretty sure I didn't make any Tesla fans as a result of that :)

Sorry to hear that. Problem with returning it is you can't get a new one for 1 year. Maybe you can convince them to get you a new one. That is sad.

Reactions: CO_MY
If this is the loose main ground connection, how do we check this? I'd be pretty pissed if this happened

OP: Good thing it did it in your driveway and not on your way home and you're safe.
Open the frunk, up near the windshield that whole plastic piece comes off and the 12v battery is right under there. Make sure the connections are good on the terminals.
Basing this off of the 3, I don’t have a Y but should be similar.
These are the exact same things I experienced a few weeks back but my 3 has 55,000 miles on it. The 12v battery went bad, but same 3 errors AND the update failed the night before.
I completely reset my car disconnecting all batteries and it still had the issue so it was my 12v battery, so I am betting yours is just a connection.
I would seriously threaten to return the car unless they give you a something major like free supercharging. That is way cheaper than taking the car back and not being able to sell it as new anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Jewel
Thanks Firedog, that's helpful info and I'll relay it to my service rep. Can't hurt.

I also just checked my app and Tesla Service's estimated completion is 2 days past the 7 day return policy date. While it's just an estimate, I'm not ok with even the thought of owning a brand new car for 1 hour before it breaks down and is towed back to the dealer, then being handed it back AFTER the 7 day period has ended that allows me to return it. That seems a bit risky, with me being the one taking all the risk.

I'm going to have a little heart to heart with my Tesla Advisor and align on expectations. With their end of the quarter delivery push, I'm concerned that my car may not be the highest priority. I'll communicate a deadline to either have the fixed car back in my hands or to start the return process. Since I assume my 1 hour ownership experience is somewhat outside the norm for Tesla, I'll discuss whether the 1 year hold on ordering a new car should still apply in my case and/or whether I should have a 7 day return period after I get the car back (which should really be the intent of that policy, though I'm sure it's not written that way).

I'll also be sure to thank Tesla for being so kind as to offer me Uber vouchers to drive myself and my kids in their car seats around with random people/cars during a pandemic. That and while they were quick to say they were going to give me vouchers, they still haven't actually sent me the vouchers.

P3dStealth - I'm asking for the short shorts, not even kidding, I'm going all out, thanks for the suggestion!

The whole "if you use your right as a customer to return a faulty car, you will get banned from getting a new one" seems really abusive and wrong. I mean sure, if there is not even a pretence for a reason or this your third return then fine but first car and straight to the shop for days... I would seriously consider returning and if they ban you then it's their loss. If for no other reason than principle.

Hope things work out for you.

The whole "if you use your right as a customer to return a faulty car, you will get banned from getting a new one" seems really abusive and wrong.

Technically it isn't a "right", it is a privilege that Tesla allows people. (They don't have to offer it at all.) For example, if you buy a Subaru you don't have any option to just return it. (Unless the dealer has their own return program.)

It isn't intended to be a replacement for getting your vehicle serviced, it is for if you bought a Tesla and end up not liking it and not wanting to keep that model.

Reactions: CSFTN