Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing travel trailer with Model Y

dduffey

Aug 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Increasing the ball mount height in either direction would increase the moment applied to the hitch receiver when starting/stopping. It's probably not a big deal if you're not towing at max load capacity, which most people won't be, but I imagine that's why it's there.

I've towed a lot with my Impreza, but found it incredibly annoying with the 6" rise ball mount that it would wiggle a lot when coming to a stop (flat bed trailer, 1-2 motorcycles), but the OEM hitch design didn't allow any of the "anti rattle" clamps to fit. I ended up using some old free depth gages and using them as shims to reduce the rattle. Given the tight space of the opening, have you guys had any luck with them on the Y?

I use a tow hitch tightener with a single bolt. I can't put the bolt on the bottom side as designed, so I have it on the right side of the square receiver. It does make it tight for putting on the chains, but it has been working great.

dduffey

Aug 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Where are you attaching your breakaway cables? The manual mentions the use, but does to prescribe where to attach it to. Usually it is not recommended to attach to the hitch assembly, but for now I am attaching it to the area for the chains.

I am also using a bungie cord to keep the chains from rubbing on the plastic bumper. Any innovative solutions to avoid the bungie, or make chain hookup easier?

I would start a new thread, but not sure how many people are towing with their Model Y now.

Reactions: olsookie

Webeevdrivers

Jan 2, 2017
Canada
I wonder, where are people getting the pigtail for the model Y or Model X for the brake control? Part numbers if you have them.

Thanks in advance.

dduffey

Aug 26, 2015
Austin, TX
I wonder, where are people getting the pigtail for the model Y or Model X for the brake control? Part numbers if you have them.

Thanks in advance.

I got the Model X part number 1072586-00-A, it was about $5. I have installed it and can confirm it works. I got it from my local service center. I tried to get it for free since I factory installed the tow package but they didn't understand what it is even for and for $5 didn't care to fight it. I explained that there is no Y part and I am okay buying the X part. They had one on hand.

olsookie

Mar 27, 2021
Penciltuckey
Where are you attaching your breakaway cables? The manual mentions the use, but does to prescribe where to attach it to. Usually it is not recommended to attach to the hitch assembly, but for now I am attaching it to the area for the chains.

I am also using a bungie cord to keep the chains from rubbing on the plastic bumper. Any innovative solutions to avoid the bungie, or make chain hookup easier?

I would start a new thread, but not sure how many people are towing with their Model Y now.
Please let me know if you get responses anywhere else on this one.

Araman0

Apr 18, 2018
Seattle
I'm just attaching my breakaway cable to the chain connect loop on the hitch. I hadn't really considered it not being optimal until now, so I'll keep this in mind next time and see if there's anywhere else.

For the brake controller we avoided any rewiring and just went with the CURT 51180 Echo Mobile electric trailer brake controller with bluetooth:

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-51180-Controller-Bluetooth-Enabled-Proportional/dp/B07JQ99SDD

I don't have any experience with brake controllers prior to using this, so can't really say how this compares to the wired kind. This is an adapter that goes between the vehicle and the trailer's wire harness. It uses a blueooth connection to your phone to establish brake strengths and for manual brake application. But it will work without your phone too once you have it programmed with some default braking profiles.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC