Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing travel trailer with Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So might be worth putting water in the front to improve the weight distribution if you are close to overloading the rear.
Good idea. When I carry extra water on a trailer trip I use narrow 7 gal containers that I place on the floor behind the front seats. Of course if you travel with passengers in the rear seats that approach won’t work.

I am currently towing Jayco Jay Feather 17-C with a 2006 Highlander Hybrid, which also lists the same towing capacity as MY (3500 for trailer, 350 for hitch), despite the trailer listing 480 as the hitch weight. So either our hitch is really not that heavy or Highlander is just more capable than advertised! From all accounts, MY seems to be more capable than Highlander with much higher torque, dual motor, and true AWD (Highlander does partial or intelligent AWD). Any thoughts?

Regardless of MY (which I have ordered and may cancel) or Highlander, I do intend to reduce the tongue weight by replacing the battery and propane tank with lighter counterparts.

On a different thought, I was wondering if anyone is in Seattle area who I could visit and see their towing setup with MY. I was looking to even rent an MY through Toro just to see, but haven't been able to find one with towing package. I have also been in touch with someone at Tesla in the area, but no luck so far. So yes, if anyone around Seattle is kind enough to give me a "tour" of their towing setup, I would very much appreciate it.

Hi All, great thread! Thanks for all the info. I've actually purchased the 2021 Basecamp 16x. I'll be taking delivery at the end of the month and pulling it with my Model Y LR. I'll be living in the trailer 100% with my dog and doing lot's of boondocking along the way. The plan is to leave Orlando and eventually make it to Vancouver. I don't have any requirements as far time to reach destination(s). If anyone has any other lessons learned while pulling a trailer I'm all ears. Thanks!
How are you liking the 16x with the model Y? What kind of range are you getting?

Hi All, great thread! Thanks for all the info. I've actually purchased the 2021 Basecamp 16x. I'll be taking delivery at the end of the month and pulling it with my Model Y LR. I'll be living in the trailer 100% with my dog and doing lot's of boondocking along the way. The plan is to leave Orlando and eventually make it to Vancouver. I don't have any requirements as far time to reach destination(s). If anyone has any other lessons learned while pulling a trailer I'm all ears. Thanks!
How are you liking the 16x + Model Y? What kind of range are you getting?

Reactions: jebinc
Hi All. Question for those pulling a trailer with the model Y.

With a model Y, when camp mode is on, does the charge line on the 7 pin connector stay activated? The charge line is the pin at the 1 o clock position. It’s job is to charge the trailer battery while driving down the road. I’m assuming that Tesla has about 13.3 volts on this pin while travelling down the road pulling a trailer. I wonder if this pin stays active while in camp mode.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it does. Unfortunately climate stays on too, which makes for an extremely inefficient way to charge the camper battery as the climate running drains the Tesla battery much faster. (But I still use this method to charge the camper battery when camping at an unserviced site).

Yes it does. Unfortunately climate stays on too, which makes for an extremely inefficient way to charge the camper battery as the climate running drains the Tesla battery much faster. (But I still use this method to charge the camper battery when camping at an unserviced site).
That is just super good information. I can see us using this only in dire situations when the camper battery is run down and we need to run the ALDE propane heating system. It needs a solid 12 volts for the glycol pump and electronics. This would definitely work.

Have you ever measured the voltage level?

Although you cannot (unfortunately) completely disable climate control while keeping 12V on with camp mode it seems like you can minimize the wasted climate energy use by switching to manual climate controls, turning off the A/C button, setting the target temperature to LO, and reducing fan speed to 1.

Have you tried doing this and, if so, how much of a difference did it make on energy use?

Last edited:
Although you cannot (unfortunately) completely disable climate control while keeping 12V on with camp mode it seems like you can minimize the wasted climate energy use by switching to manual climate controls, turning off the A/C button, setting the target temperature to LO, and reducing fan speed to 1.

Have you tried doing this and, if so, how much of a difference did it make on energy use?
So yes and no. A garage test yielded an 8 percent use of battery over a 12 hour period using the method you describe. No trailer was hooked up.

The same test in auto settings used 12 percent over 12 hours.

We don’t have our trailer or model Y yet and this was with our non heat pump 2020 model 3. It has no trailer plug.

If someone has the opportunity to test the voltage level on a 7 pin (1 o’clock position) that would be great.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0 and Jeff N
That is just super good information. I can see us using this only in dire situations when the camper battery is run down and we need to run the ALDE propane heating system. It needs a solid 12 volts for the glycol pump and electronics. This would definitely work.

Seems like most modern trailers have the ability to just use the 12V from the vehicle in the absence of the 12V battery. Yes, a small coach battery is nice to have, but the 40lbs right on the tongue isn't necessarily worth it in terms of utility. So in other words, the Tesla becomes the giant 12V battery and then obviously the battery isn't needed when on shore power either.

At least this is the way my super cheapie trailer is hooked up. Anyone else tried this?

Reactions: Misterbee
Seems like most modern trailers have the ability to just use the 12V from the vehicle in the absence of the 12V battery. Yes, a small coach battery is nice to have, but the 40lbs right on the tongue isn't necessarily worth it in terms of utility. So in other words, the Tesla becomes the giant 12V battery and then obviously the battery isn't needed when on shore power either.

At least this is the way my super cheapie trailer is hooked up. Anyone else tried this?
Unfortunately that doesn’t work with trailers that require brakes. (Weight limit changes depending on province or state). Trailers with brakes need to be able to apply the brakes if it separates from the tow vehicle, so it needs its own battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0 and Jeff N

I have not unfortunately, and we don’t currently own a voltmeter. It was strong enough however to both charge the camper battery (a lithium iron in our case) as well as power basic things like our camper lights and furnace fan.

If the outside night air is in the 30’s (F), I imagine that even the “low” setting would cause the cabin heat to turn on, right?

We replaced our 65 pound camper battery with a 0.5kwh Lithium Iron battery that weighs in at 15 pounds (and appropriate on-board camper charger replacement). The battery weight is getting close to negligable at that point, and the battery behaves like a 0.8kwh lead acid battery since Li Fe can deliver more consistent voltage down to almost empty. That’s turned out to not be super practical as it fully drains after about a day of use. But perfect if you have hookups, need to keep the toungue weight low, or can spare some charge from the Tesla to occasionally charge the camper battery.

I wish the MY just had an auxiliary 110v like the new EV trucks have, or even an “always on” 12V option for the trailer port.

I have not unfortunately, and we don’t currently own a voltmeter. It was strong enough however to both charge the camper battery (a lithium iron in our case) as well as power basic things like our camper lights and furnace fan.
Thanks for the info. We are experienced RVers and that right there is a real world situation. 3rd or 4th night in a shaded camp sight (poor solar) and RV battery getting down. An overnight 8 or 10 hours hooked to the 7 pin and camp mode would keep the heat on.

Cheers.

Reactions: Araman0
We replaced our 65 pound camper battery with a 0.5kwh Lithium Iron battery that weighs in at 15 pounds (and appropriate on-board camper charger replacement). The battery weight is getting close to negligable at that point, and the battery behaves like a 0.8kwh lead acid battery since Li Fe can deliver more consistent voltage down to almost empty. That’s turned out to not be super practical as it fully drains after about a day of use. But perfect if you have hookups, need to keep the toungue weight low, or can spare some charge from the Tesla to occasionally charge the camper battery.

I wish the MY just had an auxiliary 110v like the new EV trucks have, or even an “always on” 12V option for the trailer port.
Yah for sure. Even the accessory plug in the back of the Y being constantly on would be perfect. A DC to DC converter would allow for proper 22 volt levels to keep the trailer battery charged.

Reactions: Araman0
Yah for sure. Even the accessory plug in the back of the Y being constantly on would be perfect. A DC to DC converter would allow for proper 22 volt levels to keep the trailer battery charged.
I hate to say it because it's such a long shot, but everyone that cares about this should tweet Elon. This seems like something that can be software adjusted (maybe even a software switch "Camp mode" which keeps it on all the time or keeps it turned off) and maybe he'll add it in...

I hate to say it because it's such a long shot, but everyone that cares about this should tweet Elon. This seems like something that can be software adjusted (maybe even a software switch "Camp mode" which keeps it on all the time or keeps it turned off) and maybe he'll add it in...
Yah I suppose. By the way. To late to edit my post but that was supposed to read 12 volt...not 22 volt. DOH :).

I don’t have a twitter account but I’ll find a way. Good suggestion.

Even allowing a 10 amp tap off the 12 volt battery would work though.