Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Bz4X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I loved my Camry hybrid. They have that technology down pat. But my Tesla is a whole other vehicle. Such an amazing driving experience. Never going back. But I realize driving an EV is an entirely different paradigm. You have to have some motivation to make the switch. Reminds me of The Matrix. Which pill do you choose?

Reactions: Jules22
There is also something to be said about the fact that these are not cars anymore. Rather they are sophisticated computers on road which require advanced algorithms / ML / AI and some of the best software engineers to code these
IMO this is hyperbole
Its a Car. It is a form of transport. It has seats for passengers. It has motor(s). It has an energy source. One of the passengers is legally required to be licensed to operate it on public roads.

Sophisticated computers? - the current computer in Tesla is no more or less sophisticated than a lot of desktop computers.
Software? ?Advanced algorithms? -Current software does: 1) Operate apps, 2) cruise control, 3) lane keeping 4) dashcam 5) wipers 6) autoheadlights. 7) battery and thermal management 8) Everything else is beta

A lot of people would say the software implementation is poor. Having said that, EVs are still new overall compared with ICE cars. They should improve overtime.

This is a Chinese EV Toyota had built for them. BYD makes the battery, motors and control systems.
Thats very interesting!

It's also completely untrue...

Sweed269 is probably getting confused with the China market only BZ3X small sedan.

If it had BYD running gear it would perform a lot better!

A lot of people would say the software implementation is poor.
On my old Model S the only software thing I have any gripes about are those wipers. The other stuff, sure it's simple (AP1 front camera) but it does it all really well. The weird thing is, to me at least, that they do the hard stuff quite well - but the easy stuff, that other cars have done well for years, seems to be just out of reach! How long have we all had $10 rain sensors?

I doubt toyota conisdered tesla in making the decision on where to place it’s charge port
And soon after (assuming they sell any) they will moan about how the tesla chargers are not being designed to suit all cars, haha.

You would think if you wanted it to be successful, and be able to leverage off existing infrastructure you’d consider it :) or maybe Toyota are planning some suprise roll out of a better idea haha

Reactions: Jules22
On my old Model S the only software thing I have any gripes about are those wipers. The other stuff, sure it's simple (AP1 front camera) but it does it all really well. The weird thing is, to me at least, that they do the hard stuff quite well - but the easy stuff, that other cars have done well for years, seems to be just out of reach! How long have we all had $10 rain sensors?
I think tesla went backward after AP1. It was a decent bulletproof lanekeeping and TACC system. More recent model S have superior handling, but not superior autopilot.

Reactions: dronus
And soon after (assuming they sell any) they will moan about how the tesla chargers are not being designed to suit all cars, haha.

You would think if you wanted it to be successful, and be able to leverage off existing infrastructure you’d consider it :) or maybe Toyota are planning some suprise roll out of a better idea haha
Just co-incidental, but the first supercharger stall in the adelaide CBD would line up perfectly with the toyota charge port. Probably the only one in Australia though

Just co-incidental, but the first supercharger stall in the adelaide CBD would line up perfectly with the toyota charge port. Probably the only one in Australia though
Was that where the current ones are near the interstate bus place?
I deliberately went there the day i picked up my M3 to get a charge there, just to say i had :) always driven past there and stopped to look at the Model S and early 3 charging there in wonder and awe :)

If Toyota sell an EV maybe they can put a charger there :)

Was that where the current ones are near the interstate bus place?
I deliberately went there the day i picked up my M3 to get a charge there, just to say i had :) always driven past there and stopped to look at the Model S and early 3 charging there in wonder and awe :)

If Toyota sell an EV maybe they can put a charger there :)
Yes thats the place, with all the homeless sleeping around the cars to get use of the free bus station bathroom

This is a Chinese EV Toyota had built for them. BYD makes the battery, motors and control systems.
Nope, car is built in Motomachi plant, Japan:

Solterra and bz4x ("busy forks") were co-developed by Toyota and Subaru so yet another Toyobaru or Subyota... Previous collaborations included the Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Toyota 86 - Wikipedia.

When they were recalled for wheels possibly falling off (!), you can see that the recalls refer to both models:
"Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain 2023 Subaru Solterra and Toyota BZ4X vehicles. The hub bolts on the wheels may loosen, causing a wheel to detach from the vehicle after low-mileage use."

You can also look at window stickers like from https://www.heritagetoyotacars.com/2023-toyota-bZ4X-for-sale/. https://www.heritagetoyotacars.com/resrc/toyotawindowsticker/getByVIN/?vin=JTMABACA9PA043362 is one. Notice, the VIN starts with a J, which means Japan? Notice is says final assembly point is in Aichi, Japan? See List of Toyota factories - Wikipedia for Motomachi.

I believe what First drive review: 2023 Toyota BZ4X EV is set as the sideshow but upstages hybrid headliners mentions about Panasonic vs. CATL is correct.
"Front-wheel-drive versions of the BZ4X have Panasonic cells, at a 71.4-kwh usable capacity, while all-wheel-drive versions will use CATL, at 72.8 kwh."

I've heard about the two versions having different DC FC curves and behavior.

Last edited:
I loved my Camry hybrid. They have that technology down pat. But my Tesla is a whole other vehicle. Such an amazing driving experience. Never going back. But I realize driving an EV is an entirely different paradigm. You have to have some motivation to make the switch. Reminds me of The Matrix. Which pill do you choose?

I love my Model Y, but drove a friends brand new Corolla Cross Hybrid the other day, obviously no Tesla, but seriously, it really points out how terrible Tesla has suspension tuning, at least in my car, it was supple, exactly like a new everyday car should be.

I love my Model Y, but drove a friends brand new Corolla Cross Hybrid the other day, obviously no Tesla, but seriously, it really points out how terrible Tesla has suspension tuning, at least in my car, it was supple, exactly like a new everyday car should be.
The new model 3 is pretty smooth. My neighbour who has an older 3 commented on how quiet it is when he took it for a spin.
I thought my calais was good but it was like a shopping trolley on a cobbled road in comparison to this highland.

I had the Solterra for a year and sold it to get a model y once they qualified for the Canadian rebate. Best decision ever. Going from the Solterra to the Model Y felt like going from a flip phone to a smart phone for the first time.

I’m a big Subaru fan but the Solterra just isn’t great. It’s all Toyota DNA and the fastest speed i ever saw DC fast charging was 55kwh.

I had the Solterra for a year and sold it to get a model y once they qualified for the Canadian rebate. Best decision ever. Going from the Solterra to the Model Y felt like going from a flip phone to a smart phone for the first time.

I’m a big Subaru fan but the Solterra just isn’t great. It’s all Toyota DNA and the fastest speed i ever saw DC fast charging was 55kwh.
Charging rate is measured in kW, a unit of power. kWh is a unit of energy and is a totally different metric. Would be like confusing km per hour vs. km.

Reactions: Deadareus
Charging rate is measured in kW, a unit of power. kWh is a unit of energy and is a totally different metric. Would be like confusing km per hour vs. km.
Thanks, Buzz Killington. We all know what they meant.

Your analogy could further confuse as when charging the display expresses charge rate as mph or kph. kWh seems like a logical link even though it designates capacity rather than speed.