Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Fault (And service scheduled for 1 month out)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And unplug your toaster too??? How does a wired USB device interfere with a 2.4 GHz wireless device system? Is your USB hub emitting 2.4GHz and unplugging it fixes your TPMS issue? Or is something you are plugging into your hub causing trouble with the computer in the MY? Any wireless stuff going on in your MY? Hotspots? BT speakers? Anything else 2.4 GHz like WiFi or BLE?

Reactions: imola.zhp
And unplug your toaster too??? How does a wired USB device interfere with a 2.4 GHz wireless device system? Is your USB hub emitting 2.4GHz and unplugging it fixes your TPMS issue? Or is something you are plugging into your hub causing trouble with the computer in the MY? Any wireless stuff going on in your MY? Hotspots? BT speakers? Anything else 2.4 GHz like WiFi or BLE?

The Tech said the hub possible is causing a Bluetooth connection issue with the TPMS. I actually didn't know it was Bluetooth, (I too thought it was a 2.4GHz signal).
What is plugged into the hub is a usb to MicroSD card adapter with a Samsung Pro Endurance MicroSD card for Sentry mode recording and an Apple Phone cable for charging iPhone while using Waze. neither of which I believe are emitting anything.
We will now drive with NOTHING plugged into the usb port to see if it fixes it. If not we are to schedule another appointment at SC.

The Iphone is the only thing 'wireless' in the MY and hotspot is not turned on for the phone.

FWIW, my old Elantra had a triggered TPMS light because of a cheap 12v phone charger.

Turns out that some components that convert 12v to 5v leak some noise in the electrical system of the car at roughly the same frequency that TPMS uses.

Funny story, I took my car to the dealer 4 or 5 times until I got fed up and sued them.
They paid me $2K to live with the issue. I mentioned this story to a guy in the bar and he told me "it's your phone charger" right off the bat. He was right! His tab was on me :)

Bottom line is, Tesla might be right. A "cheap" device might interfere with the TPMS.

BUT

I don't have ANYTHING attached to my car besides a USB drive for footage. Which I will remove to test.
@CaptJaC please let us know how your scenario goes. After this, I will also test with my USB drive removed, as well as phone bluetooth off (driving with a card, ew)

This is the craziest thing I've heard thus far. How does the inability of TPMS trying to connect to the computer explain the "jumping around" of pressure readout? And why is it just one wheel/tire? Shouldn't all the sensors behave the same way if there is interference (they are all on the same frequency, no)? :confused:

Last edited:
This is the craziest thing I've heard thus far. How does the inability of TPMS trying to connect to the computer explain the "jumping around" of pressure readout? And why is it just one wheel/tire? Shouldn't all the sensors behave the same way if there is interference (they are all on the same frequency, no)? :confused:
This is nothing but a wild ass guess, but I think when the computer detects either 3 or 5 sensors (one being a fake reading created by electrical noise), it tries to assume based on latency which signal is which tire, hence the rotation. And with faulty readings, all the crazy things can happen.

On a side note, I received a text message from Tesla that at around the time this started, I had a controller connected to my USB port, which is probably accurate. They asked me to remove it (already had) and store it away from the center console. The controller also has Bluetooth connectivity so I disconnected it and yanked the batteries from it. Went on a lunch run, but no change. Might need a reboot, will try that going home tonight.

All I have connected in the car is a portable SSD with NO wireless capabilities. Now that you have the device disconnected, I hope a hard-reboot solves it. I just wish Tesla would have some guidelines/documentation in this regard.

All I have connected in the car is a portable SSD with NO wireless capabilities. Now that you have the device disconnected, I hope a hard-reboot solves it. I just wish Tesla would have some guidelines/documentation in this regard.
On that note, a Hard Reboot means you press the brake and hold both buttons for ~20s, right? I've tested the soft and the hard reboots, and on both instances I can drive the car normally as the screen goes black. Shouldn't I not be able to drive during a hard reboot? Maybe I've done something wrong...

On that note, a Hard Reboot means you press the brake and hold both buttons for ~20s, right? I've tested the soft and the hard reboots, and on both instances I can drive the car normally as the screen goes black. Shouldn't I not be able to drive during a hard reboot? Maybe I've done something wrong...
Hard reboot is the one with the vehicle in park + press brake pedal + press two steering wheel buttons. It's always better to do reboots at home (IMO) to avoid getting stranded. :D

Reactions: helvio
Hard reboot is the one with the vehicle in park + press brake pedal + press two steering wheel buttons. It's always better to do reboots at home (IMO) to avoid getting stranded. :D
I think my question is, does it LOOK any different than a Soft reboot?

Also, the Tesla tech told me that (as per Page 163) "TPMS Sensors reset automatically within 10 minutes of driving over 15mph (25km/h)."

I think my question is, does it LOOK any different than a Soft reboot?

Also, the Tesla tech told me that (as per Page 163) "TPMS Sensors reset automatically within 10 minutes of driving over 15mph (25km/h)."
Ah, my bad. And no, they don't "look" any different but supposedly they are??

With the whole TPMS auto reset thing, we have no idea if it's working as designed per the manual. There's no real discernible error message from the system providing details. Plus, the error on the screen does NOT match what's actually going on with the vehicle.

• Informative
Ah, my bad. And no, they don't "look" any different but supposedly they are??

With the whole TPMS auto reset thing, we have no idea if it's working as designed per the manual. There's no real discernible error message from the system providing details. Plus, the error on the screen does NOT match what's actually going on with the vehicle.
Thanks for clarifying! I always though I was doing it wrong... lol

And yeah... A friend's M3 has a TPMS Reset button under Service. It almost sounds like a joke that that's pretty much the only difference I could find between a MY and a M3 ahahahaha

I'll update you guys as soon as I drive home, without a bluetooth controller anywhere near and trying to stay over 15mph... Godspeed!

Thanks for clarifying! I always though I was doing it wrong... lol

And yeah... A friend's M3 has a TPMS Reset button under Service. It almost sounds like a joke that that's pretty much the only difference I could find between a MY and a M3 ahahahaha

I'll update you guys as soon as I drive home, without a bluetooth controller anywhere near and trying to stay over 15mph... Godspeed!
Have a safe journey home!

FWIW, I soooooo miss the regular 433Ghz sensors. They just work. Not to mention a ton of aftermarket replacements being available. Is Tesla THAT money hungry that they muck with a technology that isn't broken? Probably, they just had to go proprietary. :mad:

A few updates!
  • Tesla sent me a message that when the issue started, I had a Bluetooth controller connected through USB. I will discontinue that controller in favor of a dumber one. Side note, pretty cool that they were able to troubleshoot it remotely!
  • Even after disconnecting the controller batteries (I don't even know why I had them in!) and moving the controller to the back seat away from the computer - and after a 20m drive home - no luck.
  • They were able to move my appointment date to tomorrow, so hopefully that will get it fixed! I was worried that Tires and TPMS sensors are not covered under the warranty, but (at least this time/for this issue) they were. $0 invoice is signed :)
Let's see if I get the same Firmware fix promise as the other member, or if that was a hardware failure and need replaced.

I'll update you ASAP! Thank for all the love.

More updates:
  • Just came back from the SC. My RR TPMS sensor is definitely broken. Wouldn't hold my breath on a firmware update to fix that.
  • They gave me an appointment date before the replacement part arrived, so I got nothing done except for making sure it was a hardware failure.
  • They will notify me once the part arrives and I'll try to setup a mobile service appointment or a Saturday SC appointment. According to the rep, it shouldn't take long so I wouldn't mind waiting for the job to get done.

When I setup our appointment for the TPMS issue, I tried to get a mobile service guy but the app wouldnt allow it. The only option it gave me was to go to a SC. Once there I asked why and he said the mobile guy has no way of taking the tire off the rim to put in new TPMS if needed.

JaC