Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I ordered the P3D+, I’m still hopeful for other configurations to be made whole. Maybe they can create stripped down track modes for the different configurations, maybe they can create a higher regen setting (not within track mode), which won’t impact warranty. There are many possibilities.

Reactions: MarkS22
The whining complaining thread: Why won't Tesla give me the oh so cool track mode, when I paid thousands of dollars already?

Sorry, Tesla wants to make more money and you won't get this tasty treat unless you cough up more money. Will help pay for the increase warranty support for those who take their cars to the track that exacts a very heavy toll on the car.
OK, I'll pay $500 extra for a simple software unlock called track mode but I don't want to the crap hardware that comes for $5000 extra that I'll have to replace with better stuff anyway. The problem is that this stuff should be sold a la carte, at least the software stuff just like self driving.

Isn't switching to "Autocross mode" spending a couple weeks in your garage stripping out "unnecessary" parts from the cabin? :p
Already did that. I only need autocross mode for my Model 3 if it rains.
BF5FA025-3B2D-47B6-888D-F74A189684A1.jpeg

All these people with AWD's expecting P performance added later... or the base performance to get track mode... makes no sense. I'm glad track mode is going to be added to the Performance+, but it was nowhere in the contract i signed, so it's just icing on the cake.

Thank you being even handed in dealing with other users. It's not a team sport to where we have to agree 100% or disagree 100% with another poster.

Free supercharging was not in the contract you probably signed either. I signed mine June 26th before any announcements.

S and X owners with free unlimited super charging are upset they now have to compete with cars half their price. I don't see 3 owners rising up to defend that injustice.

It sounds like you haven't had any sport cars or have had very much track experience before.

The first thing that you do when going to the track is swap the brake pads and fluid. OEM performance cars come with low dust, low heat, soft compound brake pads that are not suitable for track duty. Have you had track pads before? They are noise and dusty as hell not something that you want for a daily driver.

How do you know the brakes are insufficient with track specific brake pads and good racing fluid?

Melted my stock brake pads in 90 miles
Melted brake pads at the track!!
Z06 has anybody else melted the rubber Boots on the brake calipers. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
Stock Brake Pads Any Good?

There's tons of knowledgeable people like @Xenoilphobe who stopped shouting endlessly and pointlessly once they got past their initial rage. He could be right to the ends of the earth and so could you.

If Tesla says Track Mode requires X. It requires X. No amount of justification on your part is going to change that.

It is what it is. You are lucky to not have taken car delivery and can still do something about it. Don't delay to where you gt a VIN assigned and compound your problem.

Pay the $5,000 or go to AWD, or buy a BMW.

Sounds mean but I'm helping to manage expectations for you. Think about what is important to you and deal with facts and not emotion.

Last edited:
The aftermarket will have software too.

What evidence do you have of that?

These cars are not like ICEs where people can flash a tune pretty much at-will.

Tesla's locked down the software on this car (they have to, or their OTA update strategy would be vulnerable to hackers).

See, for example: Tesla Responds to Chinese Hack With a Major Security Upgrade

"Cryptographic validation of firmware updates is something we’ve wanted to do for a while to make things even more robust," says Tesla's chief technical officer JB Straubel. Straubel notes that Tesla has been working on the code-signing feature for months but accelerated its rollout when the Tencent hackers reported their attack.

The article's referring to the Model S/X, btw - it's my understanding (couldn't quickly find the reference, sorry) that the Model 3 has even more sophisticated controls in place.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
They are working on a path to upgrade P3D- cars to include track mode: Tesla on Twitter

Tesla‏Verified account @Tesla 16m16 minutes ago

Replying to @Erdayastronaut @elonmusk @roadshow

We’re working to provide an aftermarket Performance Upgrade Package when Track Mode becomes available

4 replies 8 retweets 42 likes

Of course does that mean that they take your MPP BBK off and put the Tesla one on?

There's tons of knowledgeable people like @Xenoilphobe who stopped shouting endlessly and pointlessly once they got past their initial rage. He could be right to the ends of the earth and so could you.

If Tesla says Track Mode requires X. It requires X. No amount of justification on your part is going to change that.

It is what it is. You are lucky to not have taken car delivery and can still do something about it. Don't delay to where you gt a VIN assigned and compound your problem.

Pay the $5,000 or go to AWD, or buy a BMW.

Sounds mean but I'm helping to manage expectations for you. Think about what is important to you and deal with facts and not emotion.

Lol my delivery is scheduled for Thursday. Too late for that.

Of course does that mean that they take your MPP BBK off and put the Tesla one on?
Two linked but separate questions, whether or not they unbundle the hardware from the software parts (remember it's not just the wheels and brakes, they did something with the suspension that lowered the ride so that could get somewhat labour expensive) and how big an envelope they allow for hardware differences from the standard P+ gear.

It is possible that they'll have some sort of "minimum requirements", and MPP or other 3rd party gear could fit that and it's all good, or they might just have a variant guaranteed to work with the base P gear and that's what you buy a la carte.

It is our hope that enough shouting and rage from a community would be enough to change Tesla's stance on a subject. Community outrage was able to get a change in policy at least twice in Tesla's history.

The two examples in my head were the P3D price de-bundling and their ludicrous mode limitations.
Tesla finally unleashes full power of Ludicrous performance cars after customer complaints

In managing expectations, yes, change it now to a + if you still can and it'll guarantee it. But it doesn't mean we should stop trying to get Tesla to reverse a poor policy (in my mind).

I don't need / nor want all the track mode options. I just want options that help increase my efficiency :(. I'd be perfectly happy with track mode optimizations based on the capabilities of the P+ and P- models.

Its very simple how smooth this over. Allow track mode for both performance variants. And for AWD and RWD have a scaled down version of track mode if you can't bare to give them the whole thing (call it something else) or just have a disable stability control button. Easy.

I'm 100 percent sure track mode needs the performance brakes to work. Another thing is people are getting mad at not getting track mode but we have no idea what it does. Most people posting say they want stability control defeat, but I don't think that's what track mode does. When they finally get track mode, they'll still be angry.

And now that they'll offer the package aftermarket, it's sure to piss off the people who did spring for the PUP. I bet it will come with wider tires and gray arachnids too.

Reactions: chickensworth
What evidence do you have of that?

These cars are not like ICEs where people can flash a tune pretty much at-will.

Tesla's locked down the software on this car (they have to, or their OTA update strategy would be vulnerable to hackers).

See, for example: Tesla Responds to Chinese Hack With a Major Security Upgrade

The article's referring to the Model S/X, btw - it's my understanding (couldn't quickly find the reference, sorry) that the Model 3 has even more sophisticated controls in place.

Mountain Pass Performance demo'd some pretty impressive track software already... they won't be the only ones.
Probably voids the warranty and may create a 'jail-broken' situation, but that's what you risk going aftermarket for 'real performance' Tesla or not.

I'm 100 percent sure track mode needs the performance brakes to work. Another thing is people are getting mad at not getting track mode but we have no idea what it does. Most people posting say they want stability control defeat, but I don't think that's what track mode does. When they finally get track mode, they'll still be angry.

And now that they'll offer the package aftermarket, it's sure to piss off the people who did spring for the PUP. I bet it will come with wider tires and gray arachnids too.

Yeah I think the brakes and rotors are a big factor. For instance if you used MPP's kit and aftermarket wheels more power to you. Still, looks like there will be options, which is good. In any case, just wait and see how it pans out before buying anything (aftermarket) for now.

Mountain Pass Performance demo'd some pretty impressive track software already... they won't be the only ones.
Probably voids the warranty and may create a 'jail-broken' situation, but that's what you risk going aftermarket for 'real performance' Tesla or not.

They probably intercepted the CAN bus messages and changed some values, it was mentioned that Tesla can easily fix their workaround solution in the video.

Two linked but separate questions, whether or not they unbundle the hardware from the software parts (remember it's not just the wheels and brakes, they did something with the suspension that lowered the ride so that could get somewhat labour expensive) and how big an envelope they allow for hardware differences from the standard P+ gear.

It is possible that they'll have some sort of "minimum requirements", and MPP or other 3rd party gear could fit that and it's all good, or they might just have a variant guaranteed to work with the base P gear and that's what you buy a la carte.

Considering that said it would be a "Performance Upgrade Package" my guess is it will be exactly what comes on a P3D+, just costing an extra $1,000 and installed at a service center. It might even cost more since you would end up with a second set of wheels/tires, that you can't even use.