Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw, is there any reason _not_ to share the full VIN-number? can any part of that number be misused by other people with not so good intentions?

Hiding VINs and blanking out license plates in images is mostly done in a mistaken belief that you are somehow more secure. Not true, but if it makes people feel better there is no harm. One real reason to hide such data on web forums is if you think your real name is super secret and that no one can tie your forum handle to your real name. In that case hiding VIN/License is understandable. Otherwise someone could use your VIN/License to figure out your real name (if they don't mind spending a little bit of time and/or money).

Now, will all of you who ordered a P85D please get your cars so the factory can get around to building my S85!

Some rough back of napkin math shows that if they continue at this pace, within 1 week, or two at the most, everyone's P85D should either be in production, or completed production.

My guess is that a much higher percentage of the very early orders are likely to be members of this forum and that there are more people with later orders who don't post here, so the pace will probably slow once we burn through the first week or so of P85Ds

Update from the factory tour: the usual guy who does them wasn't available today (he's probably on vacation this week) so another dude from a store, probably ownership advisor, was giving the tour.

We spent waaay too much time in the beginning talking about the factory's history, Tesla's history, the first production of roasters, etc. before we finally got going in the tram.

Then we spent a stupid amount of time standing (outside the tram) next to a sample, inactive robot that is designed to feed the stamping machine, and listening to the dude give a way-too-detailed explanation of the stamping process.

When I finally asked whether we would see the D line, he first wasn't sure what I was talking about, then when I clarified he claimed they hadn't entered production yet (!) and were preparing parts for them first.

Then we zipped through the actual assembly lines very quickly, barely getting any explanation as to what was happening besides the obvious ("here you can see the seats being added" DUH!!)

So I didn't even get close to any significant parts that would indicate their VIN, nor did I spot any front motors being added to the chassis - though it doesn't mean they weren't there, we were probably just going too fast.

All in all a disappointing experience, though it doesn't take anything anyway from the impressive facility itself. Just wished "dude" was more knowledgeable and spent more time by the assembly lines and knew what he was talking about.

Congrats! Another non-black interior. Will you do the Reus audio upgrade again?

I haven't decided yet. I need to talk to Cliff. The rear view mirror assembly has been modified to accommodate the forward looking camera. I'm curious to see how Reus re-engineers their solution to accommodate. I also don't have the 3rd row this time, which gives me additional options on sub-woofers and power.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that a much higher percentage of the very early orders are likely to be members of this forum and that there are more people with later orders who don't post here, so the pace will probably slow once we burn through the first week or so of P85Ds

This is likely true.

- - - Updated - - -

Update from the factory tour: the usual guy who does them wasn't available today (he's probably on vacation this week) so another dude from a store, probably ownership advisor, was giving the tour.

We spent waaay too much time in the beginning talking about the factory's history, Tesla's history, the first production of roasters, etc. before we finally got going in the tram.

Then we spent a stupid amount of time standing (outside the tram) next to a sample, inactive robot that is designed to feed the stamping machine, and listening to the dude give a way-too-detailed explanation of the stamping process.

When I finally asked whether we would see the D line, he first wasn't sure what I was talking about, then when I clarified he claimed they hadn't entered production yet (!) and were preparing parts for them first.

Then we zipped through the actual assembly lines very quickly, barely getting any explanation as to what was happening besides the obvious ("here you can see the seats being added" DUH!!)

So I didn't even get close to any significant parts that would indicate their VIN, nor did I spot any front motors being added to the chassis - though it doesn't mean they weren't there, we were probably just going too fast.

All in all a disappointing experience, though it doesn't take anything anyway from the impressive facility itself. Just wished "dude" was more knowledgeable and spent more time by the assembly lines and knew what he was talking about.

Bummer. Sorry to hear this. It sounds like the guy giving the tour spent time on the topics he had knowledge on as a sales guy, and tried to skip over the manufacturing areas/topics where he had less knowledge. Unfortunate for you.

That's interesting. When is your expected delivery? I see you received a 2014 VIN.
I thought they would only start building P85Ds for Europe in January.
delivery is estimated as late february.

Hiding VINs and blanking out license plates in images is mostly done in a mistaken belief that you are somehow more secure. Not true, but if it makes people feel better there is no harm. One real reason to hide such data on web forums is if you think your real name is super secret and that no one can tie your forum handle to your real name. In that case hiding VIN/License is understandable. Otherwise someone could use your VIN/License to figure out your real name (if they don't mind spending a little bit of time and/or money).

Now, will all of you who ordered a P85D please get your cars so the factory can get around to building my S85!
I don't have any wish for the world to know who I really am. Mostly to not get the company I work for related to whatever I write on these forums. Not that I think I have anything to hide really, but better to be safe than sorry. we do have oil-companies as customers:rolleyes:

delivery is estimated as late february.

I don't have any wish for the world to know who I really am. Mostly to not get the company I work for related to whatever I write on these forums. Not that I think I have anything to hide really, but better to be safe than sorry. we do have oil-companies as customers:rolleyes:

You're in Katzenjammer and you have a private concert for oil executives coming up? Just kidding ;)

65513 in Production! Woot, woot!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416954755.488478.jpg

Either your outlet is installed 90 degrees the wrong way, or the picture is rendering 90 degrees off for me?

Looks correct to me, the ground rounded prong is at the top and the three slits are facing vertically.

Dallas1, you and I ordered at the same time so I believe we should be entering production around the same time.

Andrew, it looks like the VIN order isn't correlating well with the production start date. However, order date definitely has a higher correlation. Okay to sort by production start date, then by order date (instead of VIN)?

Black seats seem to be batched first for P85D.

All but two in production are black seats, the other two tan. I've got grey, so looks like they're batched for production later. Makes sense since the black seats were originally the only choice and were probably sourced first.

Looks correct to me, the ground rounded prong is at the top and the three slits are facing vertically.

Dallas1, you and I ordered at the same time so I believe we should be entering production around the same time.

Andrew, it looks like the VIN order isn't correlating well with the production start date. However, order date definitely has a higher correlation. Okay to sort by production start date, then by order date (instead of VIN)?

Changed it to production date, and then order date ...

- - - Updated - - -

Another iPhone meta-data in the pic problem. On my iPhone it shows the ground to the right, the slots going horizontal. On my Mac it shows ground plug on top, slots vertical. Fun.

- - - Updated - - -

So we're still updating the P85D spreadsheet, and making changes.. sorting it differently... etc etc. Do we want to keep doing this, or pivot to the new "All Model S" spreadsheet? The primary reason as I see it to keep using the P85D spreadsheet is that it's focused, and a bit simpler. It's a tad faster to get at the information you want to see. The new global spreadsheet certainly gives you a broader view of factory output. I'm happy to maintain the P85D list until January or so and then kill it... but right now we're just being inconsistent. Sooooooo..... what say all of you?

Changed it to production date, and then order date ...

- - - Updated - -

Another iPhone meta-data in the pic problem. On my iPhone it shows the ground to the right, the slots going horizontal. On my Mac it shows ground plug on top, slots vertical. Fun.

- - - Updated - - -

So we're still updating the P85D spreadsheet, and making changes.. sorting it differently... etc etc. Do we want to keep doing this, or pivot to the new "All Model S" spreadsheet? The primary reason as I see it to keep using the P85D spreadsheet is that it's focused, and a bit simpler. It's a tad faster to get at the information you want to see. The new global spreadsheet certainly gives you a broader view of factory output. I'm happy to maintain the P85D list until January or so and then kill it... but right now we're just being inconsistent. Sooooooo..... what say all of you?

Just like you Andrew, I find P85D spreadsheet easier to get the pertinent info.... but like the 'master' list for an overall picture of whats happening. I say keep this one going for now as well...

I'd like to have one sheet but I understand the complexity issue. I've been pondering removing some fields that I think are pointless. Like the order state field. Most of the states are obvious from the dates. It made more sense for reservations when Tesla wasn't building anything yet. The only thing it's still useful for is the on the truck state, that I don't think Tesla is even using anymore.

So it'd save me the hassle of walking though the sheet to sync them every night. However, I've noticed I now have at least one entry that you don't. So keeping both sheets is going to require syncing two ways.