Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toys
b6d85302251cb79f3741c0c9b18ec018.jpg

I hope he or she brought twice as many toys for motor4toys since they brought two motors. ;-)

Ordered: 11/26/2014
Confirmed: 11/26/2014
Estimated delivery: Late December
Scheduled delivery date: 12/29
Actual delivery date: -
Delivery location: Fremont, CA
Color: White
Wheels: 19" base
Interior: Tan, black headliner
Options: Tech Package with Autopilot, Panoramic roof

Not sur if you got to talk to he or she but I'm wondering if this car could have come out before things were put on hold? A day earlier and mine might have been shipped - similarly if Redoxs appointment had been a day earlier, he might have his car. I guess it also true that the DSs didn't know that there as any problem until the cars were not ready as expected.

Not sur if you got to talk to he or she but I'm wondering if this car could have come out before things were put on hold? A day earlier and mine might have been shipped - similarly if Redoxs appointment had been a day earlier, he might have his car. I guess it also true that the DSs didn't know that there as any problem until the cars were not ready as expected.

Or... some vehicles have issues, some don't

Just wanted to note in here that the order page now has EPA mileage on it and it has this disclaimer:
"Range shown for 85D and P85D is estimated, pending EPA confirmation. Range decreases when Model S is equipped with 21" wheels and summer sport tires."

Could be that the delay is EPA confirmation. But that seems strange if there really is a customer car already delivered, but maybe the confirmation came in on Friday and they had the website ready to go with the disclaimer.

Just wanted to note in here that the order page now has EPA mileage on it and it has this disclaimer:
"Range shown for 85D and P85D is estimated, pending EPA confirmation. Range decreases when Model S is equipped with 21" wheels and summer sport tires."

Could be that the delay is EPA confirmation. But that seems strange if there really is a customer car already delivered, but maybe the confirmation came in on Friday and they had the website ready to go with the disclaimer.

And the plot thickens! Haha

The Canadian site doesn't have that disclaimer on it yet... But our site is always delayed in updating.

Interesting. I will be quite a bit disappointed if the final EPA number for the P85D are significantly lower than the original quoted 285 miles. I notice the 85D no longer says 295 miles also.

Part of the reasoning behind the trade up was definitely the promise of slightly increased range. If that is no longer the case I think some type of compensation would definitely be in order since we're not getting what was advertised.

@sundoc Is the EPA in Canada as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. I will be quite a bit disappointed if the final EPA number for the P85D are significantly lower than the original quoted 285 miles. I notice the 85D no longer says 295 miles also.

Part of the reasoning behind the trade up was definitely the promise of slightly increased range. If that is no longer the case I think some type of compensation would definitely be in order since we're not getting what was advertised.
EPA-sticker says increased range for highway. Lower range for city.

Yeah, I'll expand on my last post a little...

I'll definitely feel very mislead by Tesla on this car if a few things happen... if the EPA range is lower than the P85 when it was promised to be more efficient, that is a pretty big one. If it turns out the demonstrated auto pilot features that are promised in "several months" take significantly more time to work on my car (as in not before spring '15 I'd say) also, I'll probably have lost a significant amount of faith in Tesla.

The dash on my P85 goes by EPA rated miles... so if I have a P85D and charge to 90% with 21" rims, is my dash going to say 217 miles? If so that is not a range increase from the 237 my P85 says. That's 20 miles LESS.

- - - Updated - - -

Granted, I dislike the entire concept of rated miles. I'd much rather the dash show me a percentage or kWh remaining, personally. But that's not what I'm getting at here. Advertised when I confirmed my order was 285 miles of range. Now the highest advertised is 250. Where'd the 35 miles go?

I feel worse for people who ordered the 85D looking at the 295 miles of range that just got slashed back to the range of the regular 85...

The 285 and 295 numbers previously posted on the Tesla site were for a constant 65 mph, not the EPA cycle which varies speed, acceleration, use of AC, etc. and has at least 50% "city" driving profiles. It has been pointed out on the thread specifically about this subject that the P85D has better EPA MPGe on the highway than the S 85. So you may have additional range where it counts the most, especially if you equip it with 19's.

I suppose I'll see how it stacks up to my P85 when I drive it down to NC after I pick it up (600 miles of interstate driving). I am curious as to what the dash will read on the D though since the P85 uses EPA miles. I really wish it would just show Wh remaining or a %.

I've also driven a P85 with 21's on the same route, so, we'll see.

Yeah, I'll expand on my last post a little...

I'll definitely feel very mislead by Tesla on this car if a few things happen... if the EPA range is lower than the P85 when it was promised to be more efficient, that is a pretty big one. If it turns out the demonstrated auto pilot features that are promised in "several months" take significantly more time to work on my car (as in not before spring '15 I'd say) also, I'll probably have lost a significant amount of faith in Tesla.

The dash on my P85 goes by EPA rated miles... so if I have a P85D and charge to 90% with 21" rims, is my dash going to say 217 miles? If so that is not a range increase from the 237 my P85 says. That's 20 miles LESS.

- - - Updated - - -

Granted, I dislike the entire concept of rated miles. I'd much rather the dash show me a percentage or kWh remaining, personally. But that's not what I'm getting at here. Advertised when I confirmed my order was 285 miles of range. Now the highest advertised is 250. Where'd the 35 miles go?

I feel worse for people who ordered the 85D looking at the 295 miles of range that just got slashed back to the range of the regular 85...

I'm confused. Part of my confusion comes from the fact that I've never owned a Tesla, and have driven one once, for about ten minutes, and was not paying close attention to the range figures, etc.

I have been paying fairly close attention to this thread. (Edit--By this thread I meant the thread that was talking specifically about the EPA stuff--this one--http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37965-Range-Reduced-on-Dual-Motor-Configs/ --, which is where I thought I was posting. Mods--feel free to move this there if you like. I apologize.) I thought that the range figures displayed in the car, by the car's computer, basically had nothing to do with any EPA ratings. I thought that except for what Tesla had to show on the sticker, the EPA ratings didn't really matter that much, and I had been satisfied by the points others here had made that the P85D I had purchased was actually going to have as much or more range than I had expected it to because it was going to do better on the highway than previous models, and worse in the city, but that that would work out fine, since it was highway driving where you really needed the range.

Now while I realize that the EPA stuff doesn't change the actual capacity of the battery (I'm not a moron), if somehow the EPA stuff is going to change by a significant amount what we see as "range available" when we charge to, say, 90%, I guess I am concerned. Because it seems like that will just introduce more estimation error into everything, and we'll be able to "trust" what the car's computer is telling us less than we would have been able to. And with a 100% charge, the car's never going to tell us we have 285 (or close to it) miles of range, but will max out at 250 (or close to it) miles of range (with the 19 inch wheels), which is a very significant difference.

I see this as a problem.

Am I misunderstanding something? I easily could be, as again, I do not have a Tesla, and have spent almost no time behind the wheel of one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Part of my confusion comes from the fact that I've never owned a Tesla, and have driven one once, for about ten minutes, and was not paying close attention to the range figures, etc.

I have been paying fairly close attention to this thread. (Edit--By this thread I meant the thread that was talking specifically about the EPA stuff--this one--http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37965-Range-Reduced-on-Dual-Motor-Configs/ --, which is where I thought I was posting. Mods--feel free to move this there if you like. I apologize.) I thought that the range figures displayed in the car, by the car's computer, basically had nothing to do with any EPA ratings. I thought that except for what Tesla had to show on the sticker, the EPA ratings didn't really matter that much, and I had been satisfied by the points others here had made that the P85D I had purchased was actually going to have as much or more range than I had expected it to because it was going to do better on the highway than previous models, and worse in the city, but that that would work out fine, since it was highway driving where you really needed the range.

Now while I realize that the EPA stuff doesn't change the actual capacity of the battery (I'm not a moron), if somehow the EPA stuff is going to change by a significant amount what we see as "range available" when we charge to, say, 90%, I guess I am concerned. Because it seems like that will just introduce more estimation error into everything, and we'll be able to "trust" what the car's computer is telling us less than we would have been able to. And with a 100% charge, the car's never going to tell us we have 285 (or close to it) miles of range, but will max out at 250 (or close to it) miles of range (with the 19 inch wheels), which is a very significant difference.

I see this as a problem.

Am I misunderstanding something? I easily could be, as again, I do not have a Tesla, and have spent almost no time behind the wheel of one.

Thanks.

This is why I say rated miles are pretty pointless. We need a universal capacity measurement. A percentage, kWh or Wh remaining, etc. Adding along side that an estimate based on the past 50 miles of driving or something like that would make sense, but the capacity measurement should be in units of capacity, not distance...

(Sorry for derailing the tracking thread...)

When this new EPA rating came out just now, does that mean that Tesla has to update the software on all the P85Ds being produced, and also presumably all the other Model Ss that are affected so that the correct range is displayed based on these new EPA numbers?