Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In contrast, snow predicted this evening in Boulder.

I've put 120 miles on the P85D on the all-season 19's with many 1g launches. They are predicting 6-12 inches of snow in Boulder this evening. Putting the Hakka R2's on after lunch for snow play time! I will measure the acceleration on dry pavement and in some snow with the P85D with Hakka R2's.

Can someone with real D experience reassure me ? I pick up my D on Monday, and will have to drive approximately 180 miles, with no charging stations in-between, from the service center to my home. With all the discussion on poor range, I am now more than a little nervous about making it.

I dont know if I would take that bet without flat roads; the wind behind me; and no faster than 65. I just 100 mile trip yesterday with max daily charge (claimed 219 miles) and I was left with 73 miles remaining. Granted that was at night; heater and heated seats on; radio blasting and a good 77 average speed.

Come to think of it there were a couple of launches in there and some "spirited" passes. I take it all back, you should be good to go!

Last edited:
We know there are guys spending time at Superchargers. We know there are differences between rated and actual mileage. We know Tesla might have over promised on range (at least for now). At the risk of sounding elitist, I don't give a rip about this. My D driving will be around town, seeking Z06s at the pole position at the stoplights and laying waste to them. I look forward to the ability to fill up my tank in my garage. I look forward to using my phone to heat and cool the car from afar. I look forward to going to dinner with friends, and having the valets fight to park it, and eventually having the car return to me sans valet. I look forward to the novelty of thrust without chaos. I look forward to admiring the beautiful lines when I approach, and having the door handles "present" themselves to me. I look forward to putting my gym bag where the pistons normally live. I look forward to the interest this car will draw from my fellow man.

Yes, many of you are using this car as your daily driver...and some of you are disappointed. I never intended to dump all my ICE cars and use this animal exclusively. My EXPECTATIONS were "different". Who drives their Murcielago as their daily driver?

Elon's idealistic views on replacing the ICE with electrons are laudable and desirable. But, its not there yet. In the interim, lets enjoy our new toys, enjoy the driving experience, and marvel at this groundbreaking vehicle while still understanding that the tech is not yet mature. This isn't a Camry...or merely a transportation appliance. P85D is a badge of honor, a rolling work of art, vehicular jewelry to be enjoyed by early adopters. Demanding more will ultimately leave you disappointed.

Well, after a great deal of teeth grinding, I'm going to cancel my order. I'm trying to be rational, yet I know that part of the decision involves some rationalization. So be it. I have a Model S, equipped just the way I want, just 2-1/2 months old. It is autopilot equipped and all the little kinks are ironed out. Even before all the snafu's it was a stretch to justify the $40k hit to trade up. Now with the seats, the charge issues, it's even more of a stretch. If I didn't already have a Model S it would be different, but as exciting as that launch might be, it's not worth it for me now. I wish all you early adopters nothing but smooth roads and extended battery life. I'm going to wait.

To be clear, you already had a S85, but had a P85 and P85D on order? You canceled just the P85D but still will be taking the P85?

Greetings from Florida.

7359aa1c1a94a2509d47b0437bf75182.jpg
Which Supercharger is this?

Can someone with real D experience reassure me ? I pick up my D on Monday, and will have to drive approximately 180 miles, with no charging stations in-between, from the service center to my home. With all the discussion on poor range, I am now more than a little nervous about making it.

Effective range after a full charge with normal driving on flat surfaces is 185 miles +/- 15 depending on how you drive. This works out to 390 or so Wh/m

You our may have a challenge getting home so I would make sure you have a full charge first.

Last edited:
To be clear, you already had a S85, but had a P85 and P85D on order? You canceled just the P85D but still will be taking the P85?

The P85 was for my wife. She was trading a 6 month old G550. That's in jeopardy too, as our trade offer from Tesla on her car is literally 10k less then even a CarMax wholesale offer. There will be 2 beautifully equipped cars newly available at Dania Beach, it seems. As I said, we have a model S to revel in. Waiting a while will, under the circumstances, not be the worst thing.

Well said! I share similar views. I don't plan on disposing some fantastic ICE cars that I have enjoyed over the years. I do plan on enjoying the ride, the cutting edge technology and the major transformation in the whole concept of commute with my new P85D which will be hopefully home next week!

The P85 was for my wife. She was trading a 6 month old G550. That's in jeopardy too, as our trade offer from Tesla on her car is literally 10k less then even a CarMax wholesale offer. There will be 2 beautifully equipped cars newly available at Dania Beach, it seems. As I said, we have a model S to revel in. Waiting a while will, under the circumstances, not be the worst thing.

Yeah, the quote they gave us was crazy low too. Way lower than CarMax. Didn't give me a warm feeling about them shopping around and beating wholesalers. They were way below everyone I brought the car to.

Yeah, the quote they gave us was crazy low too. Way lower than CarMax. Didn't give me a warm feeling about them shopping around and beating wholesalers. They were way below everyone I brought the car to.

Yes! Even though the sales tax savings takes some of the sting, it's still galling to be low balled. Methinks Tesla is not exactly the warm and fuzzy place we thought. Deep down its still a profit minded business, though admittedly dressed up in finery.

Yes! Even though the sales tax savings takes some of the sting, it's still galling to be low balled. Methinks Tesla is not exactly the warm and fuzzy place we thought. Deep down its still a profit minded business, though admittedly dressed up in finery.

well there business isnt reselling your car. Im not even sure if they are charging for the service to move used cars. I found their offer low too; however, I kind of expected that since they would be passing it on to someone behind them that was either a broker or a dealer themselves. Havent seen any used car lots out there under the Tesla name.

I wouldn't be worried about a 180 mile trip at all, especially in flat, warm Florida. That'll be easy. Just make sure you're fully charged before heading out, take it easy on the launches, and stick to the speed limit.

Here in hilly, cold, wet Seattle I'm seeing 350Wh/mi at 65 mph in my P85D, which means on a full trip charge a P85D should be good for at least 215 miles. Your conditions are better, so yeah, you've got 180 miles in the bag easy.

Still confused why everyone is just buying Elons latest claim of a software update that will make the range issue what they originally claimed. I didn't believe it would get better OR same and I still don't. It's heavier, and the battery is the same and there's more motor in essence. I would love to be proved wrong , but that's why I didn't upgrade because it didn't pass the smell test. This car will need AT LEAST a 110kw battery to match or beat the previous P85 epa driving for real world use. I didn't want to "upgrade" to a car that goes far less distance. But I'm a reporter and need proof before I buy. Time will tell, but regardless I will wait for a real world 300 miler before I buy new. Merry Christmas all!!!

I wouldn't be worried about a 180 mile trip at all, especially in flat, warm Florida. That'll be easy. Just make sure you're fully charged before heading out, take it easy on the launches, and stick to the speed limit.

Here in hilly, cold, wet Seattle I'm seeing 350Wh/mi at 65 mph in my P85D, which means on a full trip charge a P85D should be good for at least 215 miles. Your conditions are better, so yeah, you've got 180 miles in the bag easy.

This is interesting. There seems to be a large variation in the amount of energy/mile folks are consuming.