Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by the SC today to ask about a few things (not detailing here), but I did also ask about the whole frunk closing issue ... I was told that these instructions as you describe them are for the older Model S with the two latches. The single latch model S has a different procedure ... Palms on the hood on both sides of the latch all the way to the sides next to the lights, an inch or two back from the lip. I was told to avoid the center region or even the area close by as described above. When he demonstrated it, there was no flex at all, though I haven't yet tried it myself with the alternate method.

Well, that's interesting.

I didn't have the benefit of a DS showing me this at delivery. I've read as much as I can here, and I read my manual. The manual gives instructions, and shows a diagram that is not in direct conflict with the above information, but is also not quite that specific with respect to the exact placement of your hands. The green areas in the diagram extend a pretty good distance inwards from "next to the lights", (and, in fact, don't extend out all the way to the lights) and does get pretty close to that center region you were instructed to avoid. (See attachment.) Granted, this is just the generic Model S manual, but if there are changes for the P85D, we should have a revised manual. I've noticed lots of little things that aren't exactly accurate as I've read through the manual, but this would be the first one that could cause a real problem if it results in our creasing our frunk hood.

ScreenHunter_57 Dec. 27 17.24.jpg

I stopped by the SC today to ask about a few things (not detailing here), but I did also ask about the whole frunk closing issue ... I was told that these instructions as you describe them are for the older Model S with the two latches. The single latch model S has a different procedure ... Palms on the hood on both sides of the latch all the way to the sides next to the lights, an inch or two back from the lip. I was told to avoid the center region or even the area close by as described above. When he demonstrated it, there was no flex at all, though I haven't yet tried it myself with the alternate method.

Interesting. I was still shown the old method.

just took delivery. no winning lottery for me, no heated steering wheel, and no yacht floor, and of cause no NG seat front or back :(
car went to production too early I guess - 12/04

as for closing method, I was shown to press right at the center just above the hatch with both hands. It felt pretty solid.

Yes I'm currently in that 9am batch so if I decide to go through with it I will see you there :)

This is good perspective, thanks for sending. I think that it's perhaps different for some of who are making our second purchase from tesla in 12 mos, where we already had an excellent product and took a big hit on depreciation to upgrade to the latest, and justified it based on all the things that were claimed at the time.

Everyone has to make the call on their own, but if it were me? I'd rather have a RWD P85 *without* factoring in any of the range issues. Chalk that up to lighter weight, cheaper price, similar performance once rolling, and (especially) more cargo room. The P85D gives you a supercar level hole shot, but how often am I going to use that?

Factor in the range issues (which may or may not get resolved eventually, but who knows what the final result will be?), the seat issues, and the *huge* jump in cost? For me, canceling a P85D order and sticking with the No Longer Available Yet IMHO More Desirable RWD P85 would be the easiest decision I ever made.

Hell, even if I'd already *sold* a P85 to trade "up" to a D, I'd still cancel the order. Finding a used P85 should be fairly straightforward.

I just got home after delivery. What an amazing experience.

I arrived about 15 minutes early at the Fremont delivery center and was greeted by DS Justine. She wasn't my DS, Nikki, that I'd been working with but she was awesome as well. We quickly went over signing the various paperwork and then headed out to the big tent in the parking lot where the real fun began. My beautiful Pearl White P85D was sitting there waiting for me.

For my seats, I had asked when arriving if I'd have next gen seats and Justine told me she hadn't looked. When I got to my car, to my surprise I had next gen in the front and back. I looked over and saw a big grin on Justine's face. She knew all along and decided to make it a big surprise for me. I truly am one the lucky ones with a complete build from the factory. The seats look amazing and are really a step up from the previous Nappa and performance leather that I had experienced in test drives.

A note for those that are wondering, the rear next gen seats fold down quite nicely, though probably not quite as flat as the standard Nappa seats. All I have to compare with is my MINI JCW Recaro seats, which have similar bolstering. The next gen seats were flatter than my MINI. I have more pics of the rear seats laying flat if anyone is interested.

FullSizeRender 6.jpg
FullSizeRender 12.jpg

I spent a good amount of time going over the whole car looking for any little flaws. Overall, everything was near perfect, just one tiny chip on the bottom of the front passenger side door that was quickly added to my due bill. Not at all worried that it won't be immediately corrected.

My Frunk close lesson and test was a bit interesting. Justine showed how I should set the hood down gently, followed by putting my hands, wrists out, on either side of the badge on the very edge of the hood. I immediately asked why the manual says to not do that now. She didn't know why but assured me that what she was showing is correct. I then tried her method and with very little effort the hood latched and pulled itself tight. The points at the very edge of the hood that I pressed felt solid and I did not feel any sort of flex.

After a fun factory tour (I saw mountains of pizza boxes in the break areas) it was time head home and start doing some of the road testing. I did a quick 0-60 launch on the frontage road by the factory. All I can say about that is I still have the grin stuck on my face.

The currently enabled driver assist features of lane departure warning and speed limit warning both work as expected -- mostly. I got a noticeable rumble, like a that of the groves cut into the side of the road for my attempts to change lanes without signaling. The speed limit warning definitely was reading signs as it picked up the 65 MPH signs correctly and the 55 MPH "for trucks and towing only" signs incorrectly. I don't know what Tesla can or will do about the fact that California frequently posts the two different speed limit signs about 1/8 of a mile apart with the regular speed limit positioned first in the sequence.

Given that I was playing with acceleration all the way home, I am not going to really comment on energy consumption and range at this point. Needless to say, I was able to suck a bunch of energy and make a horrible looking graph. I also took delivery with firmware version 2.0.77, so it appears I should see an update coming to me soon.

I'm sure I'll have more to add once I get to know my new baby better.

-emily

Just got back home from delivery and going out with my family for dinner. Today was the big day we have been waiting for since August 14th. We took delivery of two P85Ds (one for me and one for my wife). No next gen seats in either. Otherwise everything was perfect. I requested that they install the 19" winters and they had the center consoles I ordered already installed (piano black finish). Both cars were fully charged.

I must say ... My super-human DS (Scott M.) and his accomplices at the Toronto SC put on a SUPER delivery show for our family. From the presentation of the cars with the covers and bows to the walk through to finishing the paperwork in under 5 minutes (the boring part) to having EVERY employee at the SC line up at the exit and shake our hand and thank us followed by genuine applause as my wife and I drove off in our new P85Ds. It was an experience I will never forget.

As for the car itself. Well ... It is simply INSANE. I've only driven it a few miles and unfortunately I have to leave it for a week while we are in vacation. I wish I had time to drive it some more tonight but I have an early flight in the morning and lots of flight planning and weather checking to do tonight before I go to bed.

I'll leave you with some pictures of the delivery ...

My wife and kids next to the cars before we "unwrapped them"

IMG_4150.JPG

My DS and I doing the happy delivery dance

IMG_4159.JPG

All the SC employees lined up to congratulate us as we left the showroom

IMG_4158.JPG

What a great day. I can't wait to get back and put some serious miles on the car.

Cheers,
Osama

I've only driven it a few miles and unfortunately I have to leave it for a week while we are in vacation. I wish I had time to drive it some more tonight but I have an early flight in the morning and lots of flight planning and weather checking to do tonight before I go to bed.

When I got my P85 at the end of last quarter, I had to leave on a two week trip two days later. I put a couple of hundred miles on the car, and left it with a friend. So he spent the next two weeks putting the rest of the first thousand miles on the car. It was a vicarious thrill to check my app to see where the car was and to hear his reports -- not as good as driving it myself, but....

Worked for me! I'm finding that one of the best things about my Tesla is watching the reactions of other people who drive it.

And no, my friend told me that after two weeks of driving it that he wasn't ready to buy one.

Just got back home from delivery and going out with my family for dinner. Today was the big day we have been waiting for since August 14th. We took delivery of two P85Ds (one for me and one for my wife). No next gen seats in either. Otherwise everything was perfect. I requested that they install the 19" winters and they had the center consoles I ordered already installed (piano black finish). Both cars were fully charged.

I must say ... My super-human DS (Scott M.) and his accomplices at the Toronto SC put on a SUPER delivery show for our family. From the presentation of the cars with the covers and bows to the walk through to finishing the paperwork in under 5 minutes (the boring part) to having EVERY employee at the SC line up at the exit and shake our hand and thank us followed by genuine applause as my wife and I drove off in our new P85Ds. It was an experience I will never forget.

As for the car itself. Well ... It is simply INSANE. I've only driven it a few miles and unfortunately I have to leave it for a week while we are in vacation. I wish I had time to drive it some more tonight but I have an early flight in the morning and lots of flight planning and weather checking to do tonight before I go to bed.

I'll leave you with some pictures of the delivery ...

My wife and kids next to the cars before we "unwrapped them"

View attachment 67237

My DS and I doing the happy delivery dance

View attachment 67238

All the SC employees lined up to congratulate us as we left the showroom

View attachment 67239

What a great day. I can't wait to get back and put some serious miles on the car.

Cheers,
Osama
Hi,
What an amazing finale to the process - hope this went some way to improving your feelings about Tesla. As a second time buyer, I know - driving the car is always worth it. Unfortunately for those of us in the wild west, we don't get quite this level of delivery but there is something cool about having a car delivered to the door.

Great run down, MikeBur. Would you mind posting some pics? I've ordered the same colors and seeing some pics of your car might help me get through the interminable wait for the 'D' to make it Downunder.

Currently away from my car, back Tuesday. Missing it already ;-). Colors go together very well imo. I'll post on Tuesday.

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies if OT, though is the fact that I discovered you can open charge port with a Fob on p85d news? I mentioned this to my DS and service (as mitigation for button on hwpc not working) and they were surprised. Just press and hold trunk button on fob for ~3 secs...

Well, that's interesting.

I didn't have the benefit of a DS showing me this at delivery. I've read as much as I can here, and I read my manual. The manual gives instructions, and shows a diagram that is not in direct conflict with the above information, but is also not quite that specific with respect to the exact placement of your hands. The green areas in the diagram extend a pretty good distance inwards from "next to the lights", (and, in fact, don't extend out all the way to the lights) and does get pretty close to that center region you were instructed to avoid. (See attachment.) Granted, this is just the generic Model S manual, but if there are changes for the P85D, we should have a revised manual. I've noticed lots of little things that aren't exactly accurate as I've read through the manual, but this would be the first one that could cause a real problem if it results in our creasing our frunk hood.

View attachment 67203

Everyone has to make the call on their own, but if it were me? I'd rather have a RWD P85 *without* factoring in any of the range issues. Chalk that up to lighter weight, cheaper price, similar performance once rolling, and (especially) more cargo room. The P85D gives you a supercar level hole shot, but how often am I going to use that?

Factor in the range issues (which may or may not get resolved eventually, but who knows what the final result will be?), the seat issues, and the *huge* jump in cost? For me, canceling a P85D order and sticking with the No Longer Available Yet IMHO More Desirable RWD P85 would be the easiest decision I ever made.

Hell, even if I'd already *sold* a P85 to trade "up" to a D, I'd still cancel the order. Finding a used P85 should be fairly straightforward.

funny you should write that. I posted a little while ago that I was canceling my orders of both a P85D, for all the reasons mentioned throughout this thread AND a P85 because of the low trade in offer, at wholesale. Well, today I get a call from the DS and Tesla seems to have come up with another $5000 on the trade. Pretty significant. So after much mulling, I agreed to accept their offer and we scheduled the delivery for tomorrow at 2.

So, I would keep my current Model S85, and my wife would have a new P85. Oops, I get a call at 8:30 tonight, and it seems that while the D is here, the P85 is still waiting for transport. They've now promised "in service" by year end (which I know from here is another whole issue taxwise) and will give me a loaner S because my trade has to be in.

Jeez, my head is spinning. I wonder when they figured out the car wasn't even on their lot???

Yes I'm currently in that 9am batch so if I decide to go through with it I will see you there :)

This is good perspective, thanks for sending. I think that it's perhaps different for some of who are making our second purchase from tesla in 12 mos, where we already had an excellent product and took a big hit on depreciation to upgrade to the latest, and justified it based on all the things that were claimed at the time.

This is where I am too - as someone who had a car for 8 months. I'm not going to try and talk you in to re-ordering as I think it is nearly a toss up, even for me but to reiterate the rationale for myself:
- My only timeline pressure was the desire to be an early adopter and as I've given my old car up, I want to get back behind the wheel of a Tesla ASAP
- The longer my delivery slipped with no information the less I felt the excitement of being an early adopter and the more I felt that perhaps piling on pressure to get my car early was just me being impetuous. Given that I want to keep this new car for a while it became clear that maybe I could manage a few more weeks to get the best car possible.
- While I wasn't hugely opinionated about getting a 2015, I do feel that if I'm not actually under any specific pressure to get one in 2014, It would be getter to get a 2015 early in 2015. As someone who was recently trying to sell my Tesla it seems various web sites like Autotrader are setup for model years and in general people use the car year in search terms.
- While I'm not going to wait indefinitely, always looking for new features, I do want to have the latest feature set for the P85D as it exists in December. If I get anything else that is great but at this point I'll accept what features show up after I get my car.
- I have no actual evidence that the quality of my car has been compromised but the events that occurred definitely suggest some possibility that my car may not be the same quality as a car that came freshly off the line. After initially starting build on November 21st, as of December 16th I had still heard nothing and all anyone could tell about the car was that it definitely wouldn't have the new seats and it definitely wouldn't have heated steering.
- There is always a possibility that waiting a few weeks will allow me to get the new seats without having to go through the whole upgrade process. Not a huge deal, just another factor.

When I weighed all of these up, the equation was;
Get a 2015, possibly better quality, possibly heated steering wheel, possibly new seats first time, more predictable time line for personal planning, get out of the way of deliveries that were a must for 2014:
Versus
Wait a few more weeks for the car (grit my teeth and try not to read too many delivery posts).

For me a no brainer when I took all these factors together.

Last edited:
This is where I am too - as someone who had a car for 8 months. I'm not going to try and talk you in to re-ordering as I think it is nearly a toss up, even for me but to reiterate the rationale for myself:
- My only timeline pressure was the desire to be an early adopter and as I've given my old car up, I want to get back behind the wheel of a Tesla ASAP
- The longer my delivery slipped with no information the less I felt the excitement of being an early adopter and the more I felt that perhaps piling on pressure to get my car early was just me being impetuous. Given that I want to keep this new car for a while it became clear that maybe I could manage a few more weeks to get the best car possible.
- While I wasn't hugely opinionated about getting a 2015, I do feel that if I'm not actually under any specific pressure to get one in 2014, It would be getter to get a 2015 early in 2015. As someone who was recently trying to sell my Tesla it seems various web sites like Autotrader are setup for model years and in general people use the car year in search terms.
- While I'm not going to wait indefinitely, always looking for new features, I do want to have the latest feature set for the P85D as it exists in December. If I get anything else that is great but at this point I'll accept what features show up after I get my car.
- I have no actual evidence that the quality of my car has been compromised but the events that occurred definitely suggest some possibility that my car may not be the same quality as a car that came freshly off the line. After initially starting build on November 21st, as of December 16th I had still heard nothing and all anyone could tell about the car was that it definitely wouldn't have the new seats and it definitely wouldn't have heated steering.
- There is always a possibility that waiting a few weeks will allow me to get the new seats without having to go through the whole upgrade process. Not a huge deal, just another factor.

Its when I weighed all of these up, the equation was;
Get a 2015, possibly better quality, possibly heated steering wheel, possibly new seats first time, more predictable time line for personal planning, get out of the way of deliveries that were a must for 2014:
Versus
Wait a few more weeks for the car (grit my teeth and try not to read too many delivery posts).

the fact that my car started building on November 21st, was completed on the 26th, then went back into building and as of mid December had not emerged (and abs

Yep. A 2015 delivery is now looking like March according to my DS. That's quite a bit of time. I think primary advantage will be *private* resale but in terms of residual guarantee I think a '14 or '15 might be the same (I think they equate months vs model yr).

Re: quality, and I'm probably in the minority here, but i don't think a car being fixed during QA (unless it's paint) would be any less from a quality standpoint. For me, its just the principal of picking up an incomplete car. Honestly, I think I'm sour from the whole process - from finding out my awesome p85+ wasn't the best anymore :), to getting hosed on trade in, to spending the extra $, to the delays, seats, range issues. I went from a very happy tesla customer to a very unhappy tesla customer. Perhaps I need to just take the damn car and drive it and forget all of this :)