Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded mine into Tesla today as it was more than others plus in Texas you only pay sales tax on the difference. Rivian trade-in was worse, as well as 4-5 sites I quickly tried online we're all 1-4k worse.

Someone here recently posted Carvana was paying 4k more than Tesla for them.

I'd sell private party if you really want max $ back but it's obviously more of a hassle. Done that many times, as recently as in December I sold a Honda.

I traded mine into Tesla today as it was more than others plus in Texas you only pay sales tax on the difference. Rivian trade-in was worse, as well as 4-5 sites I quickly tried online we're all 1-4k worse.

Someone here recently posted Carvana was paying 4k more than Tesla for them.

I'd sell private party if you really want max $ back but it's obviously more of a hassle. Done that many times, as recently as in December I sold a Honda.
As far as Carvana, that's what I'm finding. Currently, they're at $44.4k for a '22 MYP Gray/Black w/ 14k miles. Carmax is $41k, and SellMyEV.com is maybe $40k. Tesla trade in approx is $36-39k...translation $35k (in my experience).

Not a Y, but in my experience of checking trade in values this past week for my '18 M3LR, KBB cash offer came out on top. Going to try to follow through with the sale tomorrow.

KBB cash offer ($23,700)
Carvana ($23,400)
CarMax ($21,500)
Tesla ($20,700)
Which 2018 month build was your M3?
What was your mileage?
Is it a RWD or a AWD?
What interior color or other options?
18" or 19" wheels?
EAP or FSD?
What KBB condition did you reported?

As far as Carvana, that's what I'm finding. Currently, they're at $44.4k for a '22 MYP Gray/Black w/ 14k miles. Carmax is $41k, and SellMyEV.com is maybe $40k. Tesla trade in approx is $36-39k...translation $35k (in my experience).
...btw...my delivery is noon this Monday, it's 2:17 Saturday afternoon, an hour drive for pick up, and I'm still waiting for a trade number. In my experience, their numbers are so low, that asking for pictures and waiting this long is just 'I don't care' attitude.

Got it. $38.5k trade in. What a joke.
Tesla is not in the used car business. They probably don’t really want to deal with trade-ins and low ball to make it worth their time to deal with re-selling any trade-ins. They also know the true value of their vehicles and any potential price cuts coming that would affect used Tesla values.

Which 2018 month build was your M3?
What was your mileage?
Is it a RWD or a AWD?
What interior color or other options?
18" or 19" wheels?
EAP or FSD?
What KBB condition did you reported?
October 2018 build, 60k miles, AWD, MSM exterior, black interior, 18" wheels, standard AP, good condition.

KBB instant cash offer turned out to be a joke. KBB claims participating dealerships are obligated to honor the ICO. I went to two of them, both ignored the ICO amount and low balled me. They didn't even bother to claim that I misrepresented the condition of the vehicle. They simply ignore the rules of the program and just use KBB ICO as a way to generate leads. Waste of time.

Now I'm working on following through with Carvana.

October 2018 build, 60k miles, AWD, MSM exterior, black interior, 18" wheels, standard AP, good condition.

KBB instant cash offer turned out to be a joke. KBB claims participating dealerships are obligated to honor the ICO. I went to two of them, both ignored the ICO amount and low balled me. They didn't even bother to claim that I misrepresented the condition of the vehicle. They simply ignore the rules of the program and just use KBB ICO as a way to generate leads. Waste of time.

Now I'm working on following through with Carvana.
it use to be Autotrader, same company, same scam. I did the same thing and the calls started coming in. Annoying.

Tesla is not in the used car business. They probably don’t really want to deal with trade-ins and low ball to make it worth their time to deal with re-selling any trade-ins. They also know the true value of their vehicles and any potential price cuts coming that would affect used Tesla values.
Possibly. But Tesla is in the for-profit business and they have shareholders, like myself. Right now, they should be looking at exit strategies for preowned vehicles. Not keeping consumer trade sales tax benefits for that profit.

Possibly. But Tesla is in the for-profit business and they have shareholders, like myself. Right now, they should be looking at exit strategies for preowned vehicles. Not keeping consumer trade sales tax benefits for that profit.
Exactly, so the less they offer on trade-ins the higher the profit for each sale.
Why would they care about exit strategies for pre-owned vehicles? They’re in the business of selling new cars. CarMax, Carvana, Vroom, etc.. are in the business of buying/selling used cars. So of course they will offer closer to market value since they need used car inventory.

Reactions: fsb1
I don’t expect a lot of you know how wholesaling works. But if you think, because Tesla doesn’t want to be selling used cars, they are lowballing customers trades, you’re probably just a really good person. Tesla lowballs you because they can. When demand was so high, forcing your to take your car to another store causes the price to stay inflated. That’s why they don’t want it. But now inventory is starting to build, so the next smart play is keeping your sales tax credit as some type of convenience. These numbers on trades we’re given, is all strategic. Think about it. How does one of the smartest, wealthiest, and ruthless people in the world, suddenly drop the ball on what is sole purpose profit deptartment for every dealership. EVERY DEALERSHIP’s main focus is used cars. Servicing, parts, financing, warranties. New cars, last three years excluded, are as profitable as selling printers. The money is really made in all the stuff you don’t see. Another ex. Automobile insurance companies make money investing your money, not from your monthly payments. Remember, you only sell a new car once, but you’re probably going to sell that same used car 3 or 4 more times.

I don’t expect a lot of you know how wholesaling works.
Yeah I mean, not like the word wholesaling isn’t self explanatory or anything.

EVERY DEALERSHIP’s main focus is used cars.
You do realize that Tesla doesn’t have dealerships.

I think you’ve just proven with this one post that you know nothing about how Tesla functions. Thanks for trying to pretend like you know though 👍

Last edited:
Yeah I mean, not like the word wholesaling isn’t self explanatory or anything.

You do realize that not every state has sales tax credits?

You do realize that Tesla doesn’t have dealerships.

I think you’ve just proven with this one post that you know nothing about how Tesla functions. Thanks for trying to pretend like you know though 👍
Do you work in the auto industry or for Tesla?