Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @jwuwu for the swap. 21's ain't too bad in terms of ride quality but definitely little stiffer. It also seems a tad more sluggish off the line.. i'd probably lower it a bit once they release some new springs. Range? Barely a dip. I'll play around with it and possibly get some after market wheels in the future...

Reactions: MJP.P3D- and jwuwu
Is your max range over 300 now with the 20" wheels?

I hope so. The Tesla software (2020.12.10) still doesn't give me the option to change the wheels to the 20". I haven't driven the car much since the wheel swap, about only 8 miles. According to the Stats app, my estimated range and rated range is still at 280 currently. My wh/mi went from 288 now down to 250 though.

Reactions: preilly44
@jwuwu wow man, this is a big surprise! Curious to know if your reason to swap was more for the better efficiency or aesthetics... I’m still waiting on my delivery and have contemplated going back to the stealth performance. Are you sad to see the Uberturbines go?

@jwuwu wow man, this is a big surprise! Curious to know if your reason to swap was more for the better efficiency or aesthetics... I’m still waiting on my delivery and have contemplated going back to the stealth performance. Are you sad to see the Uberturbines go?

Hello @Tech Dane, hope you're doing well. My main reason was for efficiency since I drive to the central valley a couple times a month to see family. I also plan to take road trips too once the SIP is lifted and when it's safe to do so. It just made more sense to be able to rotate the tires.

I also love the look of the induction wheels with the red brakes on the white color than the Uberturbines. I don't miss the Uberturbines at all.

Efficiency wise I'm averaging 257 wh/mi on the current induction wheels vs. 280 wh/mi when I had the Uberturbines. I drive on average 70-75 mph on the freeway with AP/FSD on.

Wish Tesla could give people with the Performance trim the option to select the Inductions when they order.

Man, that's a hard decision to make between PUP or stealth. If stealth option is cheaper than PUP, I'd do that instead but since they're the same, I'd still pick PUP over stealth. I was planning to get an aftermarket set anyways in November(Black Friday) and then sell the PUP to recoup some of the cost if I didn't do this swap.

Might still do an aftermarket set down the line if they're lighter and looks better.

Last edited:
Makes sense!
Hello @Tech Dane, hope you're doing well. My main reason was for efficiency since I drive to the central valley a couple times a month to see family. I also plan to take road trips too once the SIP is lifted and when it's safe to do so. It just made more sense to be able to rotate the tires.

I also love the look of the induction wheels with the red brakes on the white color than the Uberturbines. I don't miss the Uberturbines at all.

Efficiency wise I'm averaging 257 wh/mi on the current induction wheels vs. 280 wh/mi when I had the Uberturbines. I drive on average 70-75 mph on the freeway with AP/FSD on.

Wish Tesla could give people with the Performance trim the option to select the Inductions when they order.

Man, that's a hard decision to make between PUP or stealth. If stealth option is cheaper than PUP, I'd do that instead but since they're the same, I'd still pick PUP over stealth. I was planning to get an aftermarket set anyways in November(Black Friday) and then sell the PUP to recoup some of the cost if I didn't do this swap.

Might still do an aftermarket set down the line if they're lighter and looks better.
Makes sense. Enjoy it!

Reactions: jwuwu
My average after the wheel swap with a 30 miles commute one way to and from work with AP activated majority of the time.

Not to shabby with the behemoth 21's until tire rotation time I supposed..

Thanks for the swap once again @jwuwu

20200513_145532.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jwuwu and MJP.P3D-
I recently watched this video-

and the guy mentioned he was able to change his wheel size by contacting Tesla through service.

So yesterday I went on the app and schedule a mobile service appointment under Accessories > Tire Swap and I asked them in the notes if they can remotely change the wheel selection for me to 20" and they did it for me this morning. They asked me to text a pic of the wheels and then pushed the change through.

The 20" wheels and rated range are now reflected on my account and they cancelled the mobile service appointment I made-

C323ECCB-1D93-4FAD-B6A4-1315171DB04F.jpeg

D02892AB-ECA2-42AB-AAC3-8526C9CCCA67.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Kelr316
I’ve swapped TPMS without removing tires. Just have to break the bead on one side. Easy peasy. No rebalancing or anything needed. Shops are to lazy to do it that way and happy to take your money.
Swapping the sensors without dismounting is easy on higher profile tires like the S’s 45/19’s or X’s 45/20’s but on the Y’s very low profile and wide 275/35R21’s it gets much more difficult. I wouldn’t expect a shop to fool around with very wide and low profile tires. I own a couple tire machines and if you are careful it’s not a big deal to pop off the tire. I would however say that the car would relearn the new sensor and the shop wasn’t familiar because many people have already been swapping Model Y wheels without issues, that’s definitely more "easy peasy"

• Informative
Reactions: Adman2298
Swapping the sensors without dismounting is easy on higher profile tires like the S’s 45/19’s or X’s 45/20’s but on the Y’s very low profile and wide 275/35R21’s it gets much more difficult. I wouldn’t expect a shop to fool around with very wide and low profile tires. I own a couple tire machines and if you are careful it’s not a big deal to pop off the tire. I would however say that the car would relearn the new sensor and the shop wasn’t familiar because many people have already been swapping Model Y wheels without issues, that’s definitely more "easy peasy"

I don't think low profile would be that bad. But I bet run flats are a bitch. It's probably more on how stiff the tire is than the profile.

I hate peeling off old weights and getting the sticky stuff off. Most people and shops don't give a hoot. I do.

Reactions: Adman2298