Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because they had the buyer underwrite the cost with the purchase. If it had intrinsic value at purchase time, that cost should have value later, too. I am sure their margins on cost of development increase over time, so if they charge a current buyer

That would be assuming that there are no new development costs for Tesla and that they've already paid for the development cost that they've encouraged. Neither one is a likely scenario. Development cost will continue, and the proprietary software that they develop has value. If it has enough value for a buyer to pay for it, then it has enough value for Tesla to reimburse it.
That should have said development cost that they have incurred.

Because they had the buyer underwrite the cost with the purchase. If it had intrinsic value at purchase time, that cost should have value later, too. I am sure their margins on cost of development increase over time, so if they charge a current buyer

That would be assuming that there are no new development costs for Tesla and that they've already paid for the development cost that they've encouraged. Neither one is a likely scenario. Development cost will continue, and the proprietary software that they develop has value. If it has enough value for a buyer to pay for it, then it has enough value for Tesla to reimburse it.
Again, car features provide minimal value on trade in...for any brand. The argument for software only features being worth more is extremely weak. Maybe at Carfax or some other company, but at Tesla...no way.

Again, car features provide minimal value on trade in...for any brand. The argument for software only features being worth more is extremely weak. Maybe at Carfax or some other company, but at Tesla...no way.
Especially software features that have no immediate benefit.

I view it like a upgraded audio package. It probably wouldn’t get more at resale, but might make one pick that over similar car without.

• Informative
Reactions: dhcofc and Matt L
I only purchase rear wheel drive. Why should Tesla buy at retail rates they'll have enough when they start coming off lease. Tesla's are a long term purchase like 10-15 years. This is why Tesla has future proofed with computer upgrades.

How's that future proof working for your phones and tablets? It doesn't take long before the hardware lags behind the software and you have to upgrade hardware. 10 years is an eternity in tech. 10 years from now the hardware in the Model 3 will be extremely different than your car today.

Bought new Black/Black SR+ with Aeros + AP in May at list price of $39.5k. In late August, got these offers with 5k miles:

Tesla: $28k
Carvana: $32k
Vroom: $32k
Carmax: $36

Sold to Carmax and got a used 2017 LR RWD with 4k miles straight from Tesla. I used ev-cpo to find the LR.

Wow, that's incredible trade in values that are unheard of for other brands.

If Carmax was paying you $36K, they would probably sell it for $40-42K. Pretty crazy. Try that with a daily driver BMW.

Also means you can get all your money back minus sales tax if you private sell. I sold 2 cars recently, and listed them on all the popular sites (AutoTrader, Cars.com Carguru, etc), but they both sold from Craigslist buyers in less than week of being posted. If you post on Craigslist, I highly recommend getting a temporary Skype number for calls and texts since so many robo scammers bug you on there.