Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traditionally, when do you get assigned a VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ignoring how Tesla determines where/how you fall in the queue, when it's your time, does the VIN come and you get notified as your car is scheduled to be manufactured in the very near term, or do you get notified regarding a VIN once the car is complete and ready to ship. Or somewhere in between?

I received the VIN well after car was complete and shipped. A Texas buyer, so that may skew things a bit, but I doubt anyone is getting a VIN before production from what I have gathered. Tesla is very different than other automakers in this regard.

SS

Reactions: Masakakyo
Ignoring how Tesla determines where/how you fall in the queue, when it's your time, does the VIN come and you get notified as your car is scheduled to be manufactured in the very near term, or do you get notified regarding a VIN once the car is complete and ready to ship. Or somewhere in between?

Take this with a grain of salt, as this will be my first Tesla and it’s unclear whether their processes vary by state, by region, or at the whim of the delivery team(s).

I’m still pending a VIN. I was told I would be assigned a VIN when my local delivery team matches me to a vehicle after it arrives in-state (keep in mind, in-state for me means it has to hop on a ship and cross the Pacific Ocean). I interpreted that to mean “my car” is not being “selected” to be manufactured. Rather, they are manufacturing a bunch of vehicles in various configurations and matching orders to those vehicles after they are made.

Reactions: empiredown
With our Model 3, we got a VIN, it disappeared and then didn't get a VIN again until we had already received a call to come pick up the car the next day. Spending hours/days/weeks waiting and checking for a VIN was, ultimately, a complete waste of time for me (in California). The car will come when it comes with almost no information from Tesla during the process.

Reactions: empiredown
I am in PA and the Tesla doc states I need a copy of insurance policy with VIN number on it. That can't be done last minute. A friend of mine bought a Model 3 last year and the VIN changed 2 times until they finally delivered the car. Each time he had to go back to the bank as the loan paperwork had he VIN number on it.

I am in PA and the Tesla doc states I need a copy of insurance policy with VIN number on it. That can't be done last minute. A friend of mine bought a Model 3 last year and the VIN changed 2 times until they finally delivered the car. Each time he had to go back to the bank as the loan paperwork had he VIN number on it.
You'll have your VIN in enough time to get insurance before pick up. Texas is the same and honestly don't remember them asking to see our card when we signed. And this was before Touchless...

Good luck!

my Ins guy (TX) made up an insurance card with the Vin that I uploaded. My sense was that if you have no trade in and pay with cash it goes fast. once i skipped the trade in stuff I went from nowhere to a car on the curb in 3 weeks. Of course this was March. Also basic order and I think that helped; LR, White, Black...but I did get the 20" tires which they actually gave me the Goodyear Eagle F1's which is more suited to warmer climates. I've seen Michelin's on other cars in the West. I went ahead and wrapped the front, CP all over, what calipers (cool) and will tint next week by Apex in Addison.

I waited 3 weeks after placing my order and found in my account a Vin and the next steps asked me to pay and submit insurance . They took the remaining money from my account via electronic transfer the next day after I submitted my insurance proof . Does all this mean that a car is built and I can pick it up at my delivery center or do I have to wait for some one to call / text me that my car is in? If I have to wait why would they take my money before delivery / build?

The delivery process doesn’t seem to follow a standard procedure. E.g. I have had a 2021 VIN on my account for ~1 week, but no Purchase Agreement, and no contact from Tesla indicating imminent delivery. Whereas others typically have the Purchase Agreement and are contacted by Tesla when VIN is assigned.

I tried contacting Tesla to see if they could provide more info on timeline, but did not receive a response.

Chicago. MSM, black interior, FSD, Tow, Induction.

Ordered 9/9, received a VIN on 10/10, on 10/11 the SA pinged the MY, it was sitting in a lot near the Freemont factory. I assume they assign VINs once your color and match are built? Not sure. The AVG for VIN assignments is 30-39ish days. Mine was assigned at the 31-day mark. I assume VIN assignments prior to the 30-day mark are luck with ordering your config as it was being built and shipped to your area at that particular time.

It’s been 45 days for my Model 3 and no VIN or anything. The predicted date has moved back and forth with a 2 week window during this time. Right now it is predict to be available in another 20-36 days. I assume a VIN will be issued a few days before delivery to provide time for proof of insurance, but this is my first Tesla, so I don’t have much to go on, which is why I came here.

All they need is your existing cars insurance policy. All policies (as far as I know) give you a grace period to report your new car and get the insurance updated so Tesla is just looking for proof you have insurance.
I called my insurance company (USAA) and was told since I have an active policy in NH there is a grace period of a couple weeks between picking up the car and getting it added onto my insurance (my car is being delivered with a temporary NJ plate/registration, so I need to get to my town hall to register it and get permanent plates). I did upload a copy of my current insurance card listing my other vehicle for proof of insurance to my Tesla Account, just in case. A quick call to your insurance company should let you know how it works in your state.

Reactions: jleeusn
I just attended an online group meeting with a Tesla rep and fellow customers who are near ready to take receipt of our new Teslas. We were informed that VIN numbers are posted to our account post production. The average time between being issued a VIN and delivery pickup would be two weeks.