Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic colors wrong in some zoom levels / not refreshing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was having the same problem with my traffic not updating and I emailed Tesla about a week ago. After a couple emails back and forth I was told this morning that since the last update that will traffic will no longer update unless you input a destination address into the navigation. That can't be right, can it??? That would be ridiculous. In case you think I am making this up, here is a screenshot of the email.

It would be ridiculous (I suppose not impossible). But as a counterpoint, consider that the answer you got directly contradicts what someone else heard upthread:

Traffic colors wrong in some zoom levels / not refreshing

So...???...

Bruce.

They did this intentionally? This is the worst decision since New Coke. This needs to be reverted immediately and whomever decided it was a good idea should be fired... out of a cannon... into the sun.

Our "luxury" cars now are lacking real time traffic - a feature than you can find on a Kia Soul.

Real time traffic means - real time. Not "only when invoked via routing information". Guess what Tesla? I don't need turn by turn directions to work. I don't need routing information to my gym. I don't need help finding the grocery store.

What I NEED is to be able to quickly glance at the map and see if I should take an alternate route with accurate and reliable traffic data.

I am beyond pissed. For the first time since owning my car, I wouldn't recommend a Tesla to a friend or family member.

I shouldn't have to enter a destination to get traffic. I don't want to have to tell my car "Navigate to work" 12 times every morning before it understands me, just so that I can avoid driving onto a "green" freeway that is a parking lot.

Everyone should be emailing [email protected] to let them know that this is unacceptable.

I hope the post bmah referenced is right. But it wouldn't hurt if we all expressed our polite frustration to their email feedback... might help move things along.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
I hope the post bmah referenced is right. But it wouldn't hurt if we all expressed our polite frustration to their email feedback... might help move things along.

The point of referencing this other post was that the email that @jaydee49 received might actually be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time that a Tesla employee gave wrong information and, as you pointed out, it kind of flies in the face of common sense. More information is probably needed before we know what the real situation around this new traffic behavior is. My intuition, for what it's worth, is that this is really a bug, but I honestly have no more information than anyone else on this thread.

Thanks for the reminder about [email protected].

Bruce.

I can’t imagine it was intentional. I was stunned when i got that email. I wanted to respond but couldn’t figure out how to essentially say “that makes absolutely no f-ing sense” without coming off as a jerk. I am still assuming it’s a bug that will eventually get fixed. That being said, as you stated not being able to have real-time traffic is lame, and the fact that someone in support is that untrained to send the email they did is sad.

They did this intentionally? This is the worst decision since New Coke. This needs to be reverted immediately and whomever decided it was a good idea should be fired... out of a cannon... into the sun.

Our "luxury" cars now are lacking real time traffic - a feature than you can find on a Kia Soul.

Real time traffic means - real time. Not "only when invoked via routing information". Guess what Tesla? I don't need turn by turn directions to work. I don't need routing information to my gym. I don't need help finding the grocery store.

What I NEED is to be able to quickly glance at the map and see if I should take an alternate route with accurate and reliable traffic data.

I am beyond pissed. For the first time since owning my car, I wouldn't recommend a Tesla to a friend or family member.

I shouldn't have to enter a destination to get traffic. I don't want to have to tell my car "Navigate to work" 12 times every morning before it understands me, just so that I can avoid driving onto a "green" freeway that is a parking lot.

Everyone should be emailing [email protected] to let them know that this is unacceptable.

My SC thinks that wrong traffic updates are due to defective MCU. I have been scheduled for the MCU swap this weekend. They already tried fixing this problem by changing network card. No wonder Tesla is burning through cash.

I'm glad I found this thread; so it's a common issue. My classic 85 has not been updating traffic (since it was updated during my steering rack replacement under recall), and I can't enter a destination since I don't have NAV. (No "tech package.") I don't need NAV, I need traffic to be right.
Aside: I'm also disappointed all the map colors went away. Boring map now.

Turning traffic off and back on has not worked for me. The only thing that works so far is a reboot, but I have to do it early or I've already chosen the wrong route.
I can ask for an address or POI, but then it scrolls and zooms to it so I have to zoom back out a bunch - I may try that to see if it forces an update.
I'll try turning traffic off for 5-10 seconds and see if that works. Heading to the other side of Boston after work, I really need it to work today!

Edit: 2018.26.2

Last edited:
I want to know why someone decided to make the Map in basically black-and-white mode now instead of colors showing blue for water, green for forest, etc. it is very hard to distinguish items on the map now as water, land, mountain, forest, or whatever. Maybe that will be fixed when the Traffic issue is fixed.

Reactions: Barry
I can report that I am experiencing this issue today in Canada. Map traffic colours are wrong and outdated (all green), but nav still seems to know about the traffic and is rerouting based on that. I am guessing that because it suggest an odd route home avoiding the usual highway that looks all green on the map, but it turns out it was really backed up due to accident and I can confirm the traffic backup as I drove near but not on it.

Cycling traffic on and off didn’t help.

same thing here. it's been present for the last 2 updates, started sometime in july. i was hoping the recent update on our Model S last week would fix it, but nope.

traffic is "stale" and shows what it previously had on screen. have to zoom in or zoom out to refresh. super annoying. now i have to check my iphone first to make sure it's accurate so i don't get stuck. why did they do this?!?

Model S is on v8.1 2018.28.1
Model X is on v8.1 2018.26.2

both cars have the same problem

I can't hold my tongue. I must ask what may be an unanswerable question. Since it seems that this problem is universal, how in the world could the upgrade have been released in the first place? Beta testing out in Fremont showed this glaring fault in the "new navigation." Why wasn't it held until this bug was eradicated?

Anyone else noticed that the traffic data on the nav is not updating itself? I can manually turn off/on the traffic overlay and it updates, but otherwise it isn't changing at all. I'm on 2018.26 3bbd9fd. Have noticed in the past few weeks, but prior to that it was working fine. Perhaps just an issue here in Atlanta?

Glad I'm not the only one... Relatively new "bug" but it's a VERY annoying one... There is a specific interchange close to my house that I look at when I get it the car to know where I'm going to get on the freeway and when that data is inaccurate, it really "grinds my gears"...

Jeff