Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trim issues / software update on newly-delivered vehicle - help, please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new Tesla owner here. I picked up my car last Friday, and despite my best effort to check out the car before bringing it home, I saw several fit and finish issues when I got home and spent several hours learning more about my vehicle. Specifically, I saw a sensor by the rear wheel well that wasn't installed quite flush and my two rear doors' chrome trim does not line up with the back of the car's fixed trim.

I scheduled a mobile service call for next week (about two weeks sooner than going to the service center). Will this person have the ability to do most trim fixes? I heard that the door alignment involves adjusting the strike plate which is held by two torx bolts, which sounds pretty straightforward, while the sensor is in the same area that Tesla is now putting speakers to generate noise for pedestrians, for which there should be fairly straightforward access. (See youtube video on disconnecting them, though I am fine with them.) Is Tesla responsive to these kinds of issues?

Secondly, the car came with software v. 9 on board. I went on the online chat this morning to ask about it and it sounded like I would be getting it today (i.e., it would be pushed to me), but then when it didn't happen and I followed up, another support person this afternoon said it is sent out randomly in batches and could take weeks. Is that true?

Thanks.

I have to be honest..I dont think those problems are even worth complaining about but thats me. the software..yes I would ask for them to push an update.
im waiting 10 weeks for my performance, its going to take a hell of a lot than minor fit issue to make me bring it in for service.

I WILL pick up our 3 this Wednesday and when I asked what firmware version it would have I also heard V9.

The DS I spoke with recommended that you name the car - that apparently helps push the update (yes, I am skeptical, but what's to lose).

Last edited:
October 2019...

IMG_0760.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: dandrewk
Those of you who took delivery with firmware v9.x: Was the car manufactured before v10 went live?

I have a hard time believing that the latest firmware isn't incorporated in recently manufactured Model 3s, but it wouldn't shock me.

It's probably based on when the MCU was manufactured. Most likely before V10 was widely available. They're not going to spend time during assembly to update the firmware since they're trying to produce the car as fast as possible. :)

Even the MCU manufacturer probably sticks with a known good build of the firmware which is probably only updated at certain intervals.

It's probably based on when the MCU was manufactured. Most likely before V10 was widely available. They're not going to spend time during assembly to update the firmware since they're trying to produce the car as fast as possible. :)

Even the MCU manufacturer probably sticks with a known good build of the firmware which is probably only updated at certain intervals.

It will be interesting if cars coming off the line this month (or later) will have V10.

I read elsewhere that you have to name your Model 3 in order to get the update. I suspect all that does is ping your account and then Tesla's computers will check for latest firmware versions.

Reactions: Cronn
I WILL pick up our 3 this Wednesday and when I asked what firmware version it would have I also heard V9.

The DS I spoke with recommended that you name the car - that apparently helps push the update (yes, I am skeptical, but what's to lose).

no, that doesn't work. I've renamed mine a dozen times since delivery - lol. Even though I knew it wouldn't work as that rumor spread in the Model S forums earlier in the year - was just a single coincidence. I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy the car - the update will come. Worse case schedule a service appointment for a software push.