Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Shelf + Rear Sound Dampening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steve, do you have any numbers or observations about which version decreases the road noise or the low frequency boominess more???

I don't have any actual numbers for the Model Y, but all of the owners that I am talking to are reporting that the car is quieter and less "Boomy." I have done specific instrumented tests on the Chevy Volt, with and without a VoltShelf. two customers repeated these tests at my direction with more sophisticated equipment. All of the results were very similar. With a VoltShelf in place, the cars were about 2 db quieter. This was measured at 45 MPH and 65 MPH. (70 db without a VoltShelf, 68 with one.) 2 db may or may not seem like a big difference, but you have to consider that sound is measured on a logarithmic scale not a linear one. Without getting into the math of it, the bottom line is that this is a reduction of about 20% in the interior noise level. It was clear that noise coming from the trunk area was greatly reduced.

Regarding the "Boominess" of the Model Y, I am not surprised by this at all. In my head, the great glass roof was always going to make the car be a great big echo chamber. No headliner up there to dampen out sound waves, they just bounce off and keep going. The rear hatch window is acts the same way. So with nothing to stop the sound coming from the rear, you've got a pretty loud car that by design will be a bit boomy. Give all of that, a hard parcel shelf like the ModelYShelf should easily absorb a lot of sound waves, stop them from coming up through the trunk area, and cut off part of the echo chamber. I would expect instrumented tests to yield similar results to the ones from the Volt above, and very possibly slightly better. I reserve the right to be wrong, but the anecdotal customer reports about this so far are headed in that direction.

HTH!

Steve

Does anyone have any pictures of the white or black neoprene shelves installed?

Hi Stack151,

Here are a couple of pictures for you. The neoprene is a very flat surface that it doesn't photograph, at least not for this amateur. It is jet black and the look and feel in person is really cool. This is a picture of it on a VoltShelf. Let me know if you have more questions.

HTH!

Steve

upload_2021-2-26_10-44-52.png

upload_2021-2-26_10-53-25.png

I have a couple of questions. Does the white shelf cause any reflections in the rear glass? Also can the rear seats still recline with the shelf attached?
Hi MYP2021! There have been no reports at all of any glare issues with the white ModelYShelf, or any other colors/materials for that matter. I strongly suspect that the tined rear glass keeps this from being an issue. The ModelYShelf is cut to be used with the rear seats in their fully reclined position. A choice had to be made and I don't know of any adults that would want to ride in the car with the rear seats upright or partially reclined, so that was an easy choice! In talking with numerous owners, they all confirmed that was a correct decision. HTH! Steve

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@2000154 - Steve, question about the string that is used for "auto lift". Is it possible to not use the carabiner? Could one pop the strut and put the loop in the string over bolt? I guess I am wondering/thinking that the carabiner might scratch the hatch?

thanks!
Great question! Absolutely! We currently supply options for 4 different ways to attach the lifting string to the hatch.

And you don't even need to pop the strut off of it's mount to attach the string directly. You can just remove the string from the shelf, hang it over the mount and pull the loose end through the loop to tighten it down, like this.
Long String Look.jpg

We also supply velcro straps that can be used in place of the carabineers for a soft, but easy to unhook connection.

The last option is small clips that slip into the seam in the trip panels near the hatch strut mount. They are painted black. These are unpainted to show them better.
ModelYShelf7.jpeg

Each option has pros and cons. I encourage everyone to try the different options and use the one that works best for their needs and use.

HTH!

Steve

Reactions: shingles
Hi MYP2021! There have been no reports at all of any glare issues with the white ModelYShelf, or any other colors/materials for that matter. I strongly suspect that the tined rear glass keeps this from being an issue. The ModelYShelf is cut to be used with the rear seats in their fully reclined position. A choice had to be made and I don't know of any adults that would want to ride in the car with the rear seats upright or partially reclined, so that was an easy choice! In talking with numerous owners, they all confirmed that was a correct decision. HTH! Steve
HI there - I have 2 car seats in the rear that fit “tighter” with the seats upright not reclined - will your product not fit unless the seats are reclined?

Thank you!

Reactions: 2000154
HI there - I have 2 car seats in the rear that fit “tighter” with the seats upright not reclined - will your product not fit unless the seats are reclined?

Thank you!
Hi Pete9tx,

The current ModelYShelf is cut to fit with the seats fully reclined. It can be used in the car with the seats upright, but it won't lift properly though the trunk opening. I suppose I could make a modified one that would. If you would send me an email at [email protected], we can figure a few things out and see what I can do to help. I'm happy to do that, just need to work it all out. The version that I'm thinking of would also work with the seats reclined if a day comes that those car seats aren't in the program any more.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, since you engineered a well regarded shelf covered in neoprene, have you ever thought about fixing another Model Y issue....Seat Belt Buckle Rattles? My rear seatbelts are constantly rattling against the plastic, unless they are perfectly reseated and tensioned. Others have mentioned a soft sleeve for the buckle as a fix and I think neoprene would be a great material for that. Any chance you'd like to design such an accessory???

Steve, since you engineered a well regarded shelf covered in neoprene, have you ever thought about fixing another Model Y issue....Seat Belt Buckle Rattles? My rear seatbelts are constantly rattling against the plastic, unless they are perfectly reseated and tensioned. Others have mentioned a soft sleeve for the buckle as a fix and I think neoprene would be a great material for that. Any chance you'd like to design such an accessory???
I would be happy to! I haven't heard about this before. Sounds like a pretty simple thing if I'm reading this right. Check out my brand new ChargeSleeve, and imagine a mini version of this for the seat belt buckles. NEW! ChargeSleeve for all EVs

Let me know what you think, and I should be able to have the prototype set on the way to you by the weekend. Tell me what color you want and if you need them for the front, back, or both. I may also be able to do them in some more decorative neoprene, but that won't be until we get the basics locked down. Send me an email at [email protected] and we can get the basics figured out offline.

I know this is an old thread but the OP did not post a review of the cargo shelf posted above. I was wondering about the installation and how it worked out.

I'm new to the forum but have been searching for a retractable cargo shelf for the MY. I did come across the version posted above but found this retractable version on Youtube today. Was wondering if anyone had tried this out and if there were reviews. I have no affiliation with them. Just been searching on the internet for some solution.

I'm not sure how the supports stay in place. Looks like some kind of adhesive on the supports? It's not clear how well they will stay in place so was wondering if anyone had real world experience with it.

Also looking to see if anyone has successfully DIY cargo hold downs in the trunk area to secure items. Or if they know of easily accessible connection points behind the carpet or plastic paneling on the sides of the trunk.

Great question? I'm thinking about buying some of the "felt" from Velcro, but if a vendor can come up with a better solution I'll support them.

Great question? I'm thinking about buying some of the "felt" from Velcro, but if a vendor can come up with a better solution I'll support them.
I've got the prototypes made and they are out for a little testing with Stach. Hoping that he posts about them in the next few days. Once we get a thumbs up, I'll start production and have the first batch ready in just a few days.

A quick ModelYShelf/ModelYStuff Update

March was a BUSY month at the shop. In addition to keeping things humming, we made a lot of forward progress. We just introduced the new Special Edition WhiteOut Edition of the ModelYShelf. Yes, I've wanted to do this for a while, but sometimes things have to wait. And yes, it turned out just as cool as I had hoped!!
WhiteOut SE MYShelf.jpg

A YouTube review of the ModelYShelf came out to help folks get the idea. If you are wondering what it is all about, about installation, it shows this off pretty well,. including installation and operation.

We launched the new ChargeSleeve and that has become a very popular item. And we've got the SeatBeltSleeve coming very soon.

And stand by, there is more coming...

Steve

I installed the trunk shelf shortly after getting my LR MY in Mid-February. I don't like the way it "bounces" (due to the stiff suspension) and makes a "rattling" noise. I took it out about a week ago and I don't notice any real difference in reduction of noise overall. But this is certainly not a "scientific" review of the noise reduction.

I've had the shelf installed for several months now.. it definitely cuts down on rear noise when driving at speed, as the above poster mentioned.. it's hard to say how much.

I use it mainly for the privacy it offers. I sometimes keep expensive surveillance cams, NVR's, laptops, etc.. back there and it's great at stopping inquiring eyes.