Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Shelf + Rear Sound Dampening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to order one of these for my car and figured I'd share it around here for anyone that might be interested. Will report back when I get it to update on quality/sound/etc. but I think it will likely help with sound in the back of the car since that's where a lot of the "boomy" sounds come from.

ModelYShelf

Have a good weekend everyone.
Any results, yet?

I've replaced the clips with this solution, 1" pvc pipe with insulation jacket wrapped around, held in place by some velcro. The clips were frequently being bent by the rear wheel of an ICE trike in the cargo area, causing the shelf (after putting it back) to slide under one of the clips.

This works perfectly, had it for a few weeks. Takes up a very small amount of space in the side pockets.

PXL_20201231_205553100.jpg
PXL_20201231_205615600.jpg

@frankvb interesting solution, though to be completely honest, it doesn't look great. But it sounds like it is more functional for you, which is the main thing.
It might not look the best, but you won't be looking at it all the time :)

I like the fact that it's very easy to remove it and put it back, in case you need all the cargo space.

It might not look the best, but you won't be looking at it all the time :)

I like the fact that it's very easy to remove it and put it back, in case you need all the cargo space.
Sometimes, function has to win over form. Thank you for posting this, frankvb. As long as it does the job for you, I'm all for it. But it is a good illustration of why a support from below is far more difficult to have than one might think. The concave trunk wall and that storage well make things VERY difficult to work from below to suspend the ModelYShelf.

Steve

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thanks. I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I've wondered about this as well.

BTW, my car's boominess seems milder than it was right after I adjusted the lift gate bumpers when it was when new. The overall tire noise is noticeably quieter after a couple thousand miles as well. I'm not sure if the tires quieted down, the seals set better, or something else.

Cold weather lowers the PSI in your tires, resulting in a softer ride. Although, who knows maybe it’s a combinations of the lift gate bumpers and lower PSI.

Cold weather lowers the PSI in your tires, resulting in a softer ride. Although, who knows maybe it’s a combinations of the lift gate bumpers and lower PSI.

My tire pressure is within a few PSI. I set it to 42 PSI at ~70F in the summer, and I set it at 44 PSI at ~45 in the winter (garage temp). I'm not sure if the hatch adjustments or tread wear are the main contribution to the reduced road noise. Loweringthe catch on the back did make the gasket seal better, but I think that has minimal impact on tire noise.

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered that some folks interested in a ModelYShelf have completed the contact form on my website, but the notification has not been sent to me. I don't know when that problem started, but I will be going back through all of the contacts that have been logged and reaching out to folks individually. So if you didn't hear from me, please accept my apologies, I will email you shortly. In the mean time, please do feel free to send me an email of you would like.

Steve

Hi Everyone,

A quick update on the ModelYShelf. I have just finished some updates on the shelf itself, and a complete update of the installation instructions. Installation should now be easier and faster than ever, and the ModelYShelf is improved in several small ways to be a better fit and finish. I appreciate the input that I have received from customers to guide me with this. I have also simplified the installation options, leaving out the drilled option. While this looked interesting to folks, it was not used by any that I conversed with, and the other options are more simple and straightforward.

I'm pleased to report that the white leatherette ModelYShelf is a huge hit with folks. By all accounts, and from the pictures I've posted and more that I've been sent, it has a stunning look to go with the white interior. A couple of customers reported showing these off to their ModelYFriends with incredible reactions of surprise and jealousy! I'm also waiting to hear back from a couple of other customers that were planning to take their car down to the local Tesla location to show off a bit. The black neoprene top ModelYShelf has also become very popular. I am not surprised by this at all, it is a great look and the neoprene also helps absorb noise within the car very well.

I am very proud that we have been able to continue to develop the ModelYShelf to make it an even better product, and I appreciate your input and feed back as a part of that process. I continue to be interested in hearing from customers to help us meet your needs better as time goes on. FInaly, I have heard from a number of customers with individual questions about possible modifications, and we have seen a few of them reported here. I am all for individuals doing things to their ModelYShelves to help meet their own needs a little better! And I love to here about these. Some of these ideas may be helpful to all, and I am happy to incorporate them into the design when and where possible.

Thank you all for your support! I am very pleased to be able to make something that can improve on an already wonderful car.

Steve

Any photos of the updated design Steve?

IDK if I mentioned it earlier.... last time I was a the local Tesla dealership I was showing my car to a potential customer (they were interested in MSM with white interior which they didn't have an example of on the lot) and they thought your shelf was a factory option... that's how good it looked :)

Any photos of the updated design Steve?

IDK if I mentioned it earlier.... last time I was a the local Tesla dealership I was showing my car to a potential customer (they were interested in MSM with white interior which they didn't have an example of on the lot) and they thought your shelf was a factory option... that's how good it looked :)

No new pics this time, Rob. Relatively minor changes, not really anything that will be discernable in photographs, just cleaned up some areas that I've wanted to for a while and updated the manufacturing process a bit to get an improved and more consistent finish. Great on the Tesla dealership! That had to be a real riot. I've done the same thing with the VoltShelf when I've stopped by a Chevy dealership and talked to a few salesmen a few times. When they scratch their heads and ask why they never knew it was an option to order with the car, you know you've got something there. I hope you told the potential customers were they could get one of their own!!

Great info and product. I'll definitely be buying one soon.

I only have 1 question for everyone who has bought one..... did you get the carpet cover or the leatherette cover? Or maybe @2000154 can tell us, which version is the more popular one that people are buying?

I'm leaning more towards getting the leatherette cover so it matches the look of the rear seats (black interior), but my only concern is I'm wondering if the leatherette finish will reflect sunlight at different angles, causing a glare in my rear view mirror. I realize a carpet cover won't bounce any light off of it, but then my concern there is the carpet becoming a lint magnet over time.

Great info and product. I'll definitely be buying one soon.

I only have 1 question for everyone who has bought one..... did you get the carpet cover or the leatherette cover? Or maybe @2000154 can tell us, which version is the more popular one that people are buying?

I'm leaning more towards getting the leatherette cover so it matches the look of the rear seats (black interior), but my only concern is I'm wondering if the leatherette finish will reflect sunlight at different angles, causing a glare in my rear view mirror. I realize a carpet cover won't bounce any light off of it, but then my concern there is the carpet becoming a lint magnet over time.

I'm glad you like the idea, SDM44! Others can chime in with their experience, but I'll try to help out. I've not had any complaints at all about glare from any of the ModelYShelves yet. I've made a similar item for the Chevy Volt for 7+ years and there has been very little concern about glare. The Model Y has much more tinting on the rear glass, so I would think the concern would be much less, as it seems to be.

The carpeted version doesn't collect or show dirt or lint any more than the carpet in the car. The recommendation for cleaning is simply to vacuum the shelf at the same time you are vacuuming out the car. It is also very easy to remove from the back of the car and shake off, or brush off once in a while, if needed. The leatherette versions can simply be wiped down with a microfiber cloth or a little armorall on a rag to keep it looking spiffy.

As far as sales numbers, it is running about 50/50 between the carpeted versions and the leatherettes and black neoprene. The black carpet leads the carpeted version, but the graphite carpet is catching up a bit lately. The black neoprene is the leader among the premium version, with the smooth black running a pretty close 2nd. I don't know what % of Model Ys are are made with the white seats, so it is hard to tell if the white leatherette should be selling more or not, but folks that tell me they have white seats are LOVING the smooth white leatherette on their ModelYShelf. All in all, I am not surprised by any of this given my experience with the VoltShelf.

I hope all of that helps! Keep the questions coming.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I am leaning toward the carpeted version personally, and was wondering which of these two colors more closely matches the stock carpeting in the Y.

Black is closer. But here is a thought to consider and the reason that some folks like the graphite. With everything else being black, the shelf makes some folks think that the trunk is an endless black hole. The graphite is a great color and looks fine with the black interior. So some folks want it to break up the all black back there. Not good or bad, just a personal preference. With that said, if you aren't sure, go with the black as your default choice. HTH!

Thanks for the info. Definitely gives me a better idea of what material I'll probably end up ordering.

As far as sales numbers, it is running about 50/50 between the carpeted versions and the leatherettes and black neoprene.

Do you have any pictures of the black neoprene? On your website, I only see the smooth white & black leatherette, the woven black, and the dimpled midnight blue. When I think black neoprene, I'm thinking of wetsuit material. Is that what you also offer?

leatherette-colors-2-final-tesla.jpg

Reactions: 2000154
Thanks for the info. Definitely gives me a better idea of what material I'll probably end up ordering.

Do you have any pictures of the black neoprene? On your website, I only see the smooth white & black leatherette, the woven black, and the dimpled midnight blue. When I think black neoprene, I'm thinking of wetsuit material. Is that what you also offer?

leatherette-colors-2-final-tesla.jpg

The neoprene is actual wetsuit material. Foam in the middle, nylon on both sides. I saw some at my supplier's place a while back and couldn't resist getting it. And it has become very popular. A sleek, matte look, soft and padded to the touch. I thought there was a picture up on the site, so thank you for pointing that out, I'll get one up there shortly. Here is one for the time being. These are the new ChargeSleeves I am making to keep your charging head from freezing up where it plugs into the car. And yes, these are all of the colors I can get the neoprene in, so if someone really wants an Electric Blue neoprene ModelYShelf, or a Shocking Pink one, I can do that!

upload_2021-2-25_16-8-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-25_16-7-49.png
    upload_2021-2-25_16-7-49.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: SDM44