Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Shelf + Rear Sound Dampening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@NY_Rob So you haven't noticed the the "bouncy" noises that @brucetjacobs@g mentioned?
I am using the new set of wide brackets which make the shelf very stable. I don't think the shelf was bouncing up and down because it's very solid, I think it was seeing some side to side slop on bad roads using the original metal brackets. The new brackets prevent side to side movement 100% because they are form fitted to the wall of the car unlike the metal brackets.

I am using the new set of wide brackets which make the shelf very stable. I don't think the shelf was bouncing up and down because it's very solid, I think it was seeing some side to side slop on bad roads using the original metal brackets. The new brackets prevent side to side movement 100% because they are form fitted to the wall of the car unlike the metal brackets.
The metal brackets are the weak link of the shelf. I just bought it in February and wasn't award they have "new" brackets.

@NY_Rob did Steve provide the new brackets? Or is that something you obtained elsewhere?

I'm about to order one of these for my car and figured I'd share it around here for anyone that might be interested. Will report back when I get it to update on quality/sound/etc. but I think it will likely help with sound in the back of the car since that's where a lot of the "boomy" sounds come from.

ModelYShelf

Have a good weekend everyone.
Looking forward to hearing your report!

Hi Everyone,

Yes, the new brackets are real! I've been mum about this because we have been testing and tweaking a bit but now that the word is out there, I guess it is time to move forward. I will post to the forum shortly about them. NYRob has been instrumental in the design and development of them, and as he stated, has been testing them for some time. I am very grateful to him for all of his help with this project. We have seen good results and done some additional development work to allow these brackets to better meet all of the criteria that we have to work with. In addition to the ones Rob has in his car, I've also had several sets out there in testing for a time. I believe these new hooks are a big step forward for the ModelYShelf, and a few customers that have tested them for us are giving excellent reviews and feedback as well.

We have started production and were hoping to have a sufficient supply of the new brackets available before announcing them. But now seems like as as good a time as any... I will be offering them at minimal cost to all customers that already have a ModelYShelf through the forums and email. I can make them available to you now if you would like. The cost will be $20, including shipping. If anyone here would like a set, just send me an email. The cost of the ModelYShelf itself will also have to go up accordingly, as the brackets are far more expensive to produce and include.

Thanks,

Steve

Here is a picture, BTW. This is one of the early demo sets. They are white to show it against the black trunk walls and shelf. The rounded back that extends back to the trunk side increases their stability tremendously.

MYShelf Rear Hooks Pic 1.jpgMYShelf Rear Hooks Pic 2.jpg

Here is a picture, BTW. This is one of the early demo sets. They are white to show it against the black trunk walls and shelf. The rounded back that extends back to the trunk side increases their stability tremendously.

View attachment 653304View attachment 653306
This set is white just so you can really see them against the black background. The production versions will all be black. Special requests for other colors can be accommodated, but these will take a little time and be custom made to order. There may be a moderate charge for custom orders.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
^ the black brackets are really nice IMO.. you basically don't even notice them back there, they blend in perfectly.

Not to put Steve out of business... but once you add this shelf, you'll say "this should have come with my $50K car"! I took my shelf out the other day because I had some long items to store back there where I had to fold the rear seats. It actually looked "naked" and cheap" in the back without the shelf. I really fail to understand how Tesla neglected to add some sort of factory shelf/partition in the trunk area? My Prius had one and my Bolt had one too.. both from the factory. Both cars 1/2 the price of the MY :confused:

Rob

Reactions: frankvb
^ the black brackets are really nice IMO.. you basically don't even notice them back there, they blend in perfectly.

Not to put Steve out of business... but once you add this shelf, you'll say "this should have come with my $50K car"! I took my shelf out the other day because I had some long items to store back there where I had to fold the rear seats. It actually looked "naked" and cheap" in the back without the shelf. I really fail to understand how Tesla neglected to add some sort of factory shelf/partition in the trunk area? My Prius had one and my Bolt had one too.. both from the factory. Both cars 1/2 the price of the MY :confused:

Rob

@NY_Rob definitely agree! Any hatchback I've owned in the past has come from the factory with a cargo cover. Very strange decision on Tesla's part.

Actually that makes me wonder: do the S and/or X come with a cargo cover?

@NY_Rob definitely agree! Any hatchback I've owned in the past has come from the factory with a cargo cover. Very strange decision on Tesla's part.

Actually that makes me wonder: do the S and/or X come with a cargo cover?
The S does come with one or one is available. There is not one for the X. I was actually asked to make a shelf for the S at one point, and Telsa came out with one shortly after that. There has never been one for the X. I have been asked to make one for an X, but do not have a car to do the fitting on. If anyone in the Rochester, NY area has an X, I would be happy to use your car for that and you'll get your ModelXShelf on me!

Steve

• Informative

Rob
They are nice, Rob. Thank you for all of your effort as the Development Team Leader for them! Most of you know by now that I've been making the same kind of parcel shelf for the Chevy Volt for a number of years. This came out of the same situation. I bought a car with a sticker price as much as my first house, and it had the cheeziest cargo cover that I'd ever seen. Quite literally, it was a Piece Of Spandex... Yeah, a POS.... I, like so many others, owned an 83 VW rabbit that had a far better one that lifted up with the hatch. So the standard for this was already set in our heads. GM failed to meet it, as Tesla has now as well. Perhaps they saved $5 on materials, perhaps they saved 2 lbs of weight in the car, and they simplified the manufacturing process. Fewer parts, less inventory, less assembly time... Any one of these is a significant win from a manufacturing standpoint. Getting all of them at the same time, is a huge plus for the manufacturer. So it is that the Model Y does not have a cargo cover. Security, sound dampening, just a finished trunk. Some see a need for this, some don't, but for those that see a need, this is an option. And yes, like NYRob says, once you get use to it, it looks wrong without one. Especially if you also owned an 85 VW Rabbit (Or Dodge Omni 4 door, or any other little hatch back.)

^ that same one is on ebay too... $175 and free shipping:

IDK about those attachment points, a little sketchy IMO... seems like they will need a lot of adhesive to stay put under the constant retraction pull of the cover.