Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trusting "secret" info given by Tesla employees and shoutout to Van Nuys SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got into a long discussion with a fellow owner, and boy was he not a happy camper. Not about his car, he of course loved it, but someone had told him that he was going to have AP working before Christmas. Obviously that didn't happen. Apparently this person presented themselves as being in the know, and was a Tesla employee. This rang so close to my experience, and a few others we read about here and other places, that I felt the need to say something.

In my experience Tesla employees don't necessarily know what it is they're talking about when it comes to things that are GOING to happen. I've learned to be very wary of these "inside" sources who are usually no more informed then we are, by design. Tesla doesn't share secrets with employees before they have to.

It's not even worth going down the list of things I was told by someone who professed to be in the know (and based on their position this was plausible) only to find out later they were wrong on pretty much every count. I doubt their was malicious intent. It is human nature to enjoy being the authoritative person in a position to know things most people don't. It makes them feel special for decimating what was rumor and conjecture and adding the air of authority and credibility due to their position. It makes us feel important for being entrusted with this "secret" information. Of course our egos get in the way of asking what specifically makes us so special this person would risk there livelihood to reveal company secrets in the first place? But, malicious or not genuine harm can be done.

The issue for Tesla is deeper. It gives the public the feeling they are being lied to. Or that Tesla is missing goals it never actually promised. (how many complaints about "poor communication" have we sen? In one case I was told Tesla's profit margin per car was "close to 4%". Something I'm sure would get many investors making a panicked call to their brokers, for if this person is to be believed Tesla is filing false documents with the SEC and lying to their shareholders, including myself. Anyone believe that would happen? Of course not. This individual was speaking out of their rear. I had the benefit of history and I retained my position in TSLA (of course).

Now that said, I have found the Service Centers, and indeed EVERY interaction with Tesla Motors (save for this one individual) to be professional, second to none, and incredibly informed. The folks at Van Nuys Service Center who tolerate me rambling about my cars [knowing full well they are in there heads like "yea Jim, we know" (Talking to you Dave :biggrin:)] have been the best group of folks I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'll badger them for info on AP release or what have you, and they'll tell me the truth, they don't know. If Im having the slightest "issue" with my car, they are on it. I simply could not invent a better customer experience if I tried.

That kind of service comes from the top down. We see it time and again with Tesla. Excellent service at virtually every turn. Poor communication regarding events that are going to happen but second to none when it comes to dealing with things that already have happened.

Moral of the story: If the employee offering you the secrets of Tesla is customer facing, leave the future predictions to your Magic 8 ball, it's probably more accurate anyway. But if you are on the fence worried about Tesla standing behind your purchase... jump off that fence and join us. The water's warm and everyone is friendly.

Anytime I have gotten "under the table" information, it has always been phrased "our goal is" or "we are hoping to" or even "we are doing everything we can to have this ready by...".

The funny thing is, someone else in the same conversation can, in their mind, remove those qualifiers. Some even go so far as replacing "our goal is..." with "I promise...".

Give it a rest.
Tesla wants to deliver all this stuff to you. I am sure they wanted to, but for whatever reason, couldn't.
The last thing I want to see is AP delivered in less than perfect condition.

Perhaps rather than complaining about the quality of this "under the table" information to us, you should complain to your source.

Whenever purchasing a high-tech item whether it be cars, AV equipment, or computers, the only consideration should be "Does it do what I want today and am I satisfied with that or should I wait for feature X?". Anything else will be on a "best effort" basis and may not come during the period of ownership. (Of course, the Tesla has a better chance of actually getting the wanted feature during the period of ownership because cars are typically kept longer than phones or computers. AV equipment has a poor record of upgrades being actually done.)

+1 to all of this. I sometimes feel like the ultimate wet blanket when people post *new information* that they got from a *reliable source* and you know it's someone local. As a moderator, I always want to tone down that enthusiasm for rumors, because we all (bless our hearts) have a tendency to get really excited, followed by indignation when Tesla 'didn't follow through'. And you know that tendency we have to get really excited? Well the Tesla employees who hear tidbits are exactly the same way. They are just as sure it's real info as the person who comes here on the forum, exclaiming 'this person would know!'.

It's exciting enough without adding more :).

The funny thing is when Tesla people say things like "the TMC forum doesn't know what's going on" when in fact collectively we often seem to be aware of what's actually happening before they do. Sure some people here tend to go off in fantasy land at times but as a group we're pretty good at weeding out the nonsense and drilling down to reality.

The funny thing is when Tesla people say things like "the TMC forum doesn't know what's going on" when in fact collectively we often seem to be aware of what's actually happening before they do. Sure some people here tend to go off in fantasy land at times but as a group we're pretty good at weeding out the nonsense and drilling down to reality.

Tesla does a better job of keeping things secret from their employees than they do from TMC. More than a few times I've heard stuff from Tesla staff that turned out to be completely false. And more than once I've told my Ranger about things he wasn't aware of... because I heard it here - and in each case those things were completely accurate.

Yes, there is a lot of uninformed speculation here... but that gets weeded out (still lots of uninformed speculation going on about the Roadster announcement... but at this point it's pretty clear what to expect). The combination of many bright, knowledgeable people (many of whom have deep understanding of engineering, physics, etc.) and the occasional scraps from Elon (the only reliable source of forward-looking information at Tesla) tends to produce reasonably accurate projections.

Of course the solution to avoid ruffled feathers is to simply not engage in topics with Tesla employees that common sense would suggest are probably privileged information.

In this specific situation I seriously doubt that even Elon knows precisely when the Auto Pilot feature will be approved for implementation in various jurisdictions.

If you want legitimate information from Tesla go to an official source. You may or may not obtain the answer you are looking for, but at least you know it's not an unfounded rumor.

Larry

To be clear I was not complaining about the lack of autopilot. I was merely pointing out that Tesla employees tend not to know what they're talking about when it comes to secret information and relaying someone else's experience combined with my own on several seperate issues.

Hi Jim,

Thanks, I know. You were relating how a fellow owner was unhappy by the quality of "secret" information provided to him by a Tesla employee. I was merely pointing out that the application of a little common sense would have helped him avoid accepting a worthlesss speculation as the truth. In other words he had no one to blame but himself for his rufffled feathers.

If we want authoritative sources we should consult official sources.

Larry

Last edited:
...As a moderator, I always want to tone down that enthusiasm for rumors, because we all (bless our hearts) have a tendency to get really excited, followed by indignation when Tesla 'didn't follow through'...

Remember all the build-up for the Roadster mods we thought for sure were coming a while back?
...And then they didn't.

Everything is subject to change until it is actually available.

If this is still a common occurrence (and it has happened to me in the past), Tesla needs to do a better job in training their front-line employees. Misinformation from a Tesla employee will hurt the company, in the form of unhappy customers and unhappy potential customers. "I don't know" is much better than an incorrect answer.

I think one of their problems is the very rapid expansion. They have had to hire a lot of people in a short time period. It's not easy. In Norway they have staff that are on average quite young. They have the right mindset, but not a lot of experience. For example the Service advisors I've come across were all young girls (I'd say no more than 25 years old on average). Very friendly and service minded but not at all knowledgeable about the car technically.

They definitely don't have experience in dealing with buyers of expensive cars, who will often expect a higher level of knowledge. And in my experience they don't quite understand the value of the average Yesla customers time (I don't say this to come off pompous or anything but just look at the sticker price).

A good thread for me to state that I sincerely regret ever having passed on to this forum the...uh..."news" that there soon would be an Anchorage Service Center. It came from one of those reputable sources, of course....

Ouch

I've had similar frustrations, particularly about the CHAdeMO adapter: "A CHAdeMO adapter is definitely coming!"... July of 2012. "I've seen the prototype, it should be out in a matter of months"... summer 2013! then it turned to: "I cant say for sure if one is going to be offered". spring 2014 ... as sightings of the prototypes are reported out in the wild.

bottom line, upper management probably doesn't even know, let alone lower management, when something is going to be coming out. Tesla in particular is moving forward constantly on many fronts, moving upgrades out to market with incredible speed. my guess is that they just don't know exactly when a given thing will be ready so anything that is said about it is a guestimation at best. I am glad that the focus is more on getting it right than getting it out on time. I guess we all have to be patient and enjoy the leaks with grains of salt.