Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take out the tax rebate and gasoline savings, the $50,000 Model 3 is at the same price as the loaded Camry. But the car is MUCH better. Lots of people don't know this fact.

Auto loans don’t take into account the savings one might get from buying electricity instead of gasoline and the savings vary a lot from one part of the country to the next.

Similarly banks don’t underwrite auto loans based on tax incentives as far as I know.

Typical overextended consumer will buy a car that is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 their annual salary.

That still puts $50K car out of reach for many.

I do think that when $35K version arrives in volume next year it will take a lot of sales from the non luxury segment, Accord, Camry, Maxima, Prius.

Reactions: neroden and madodel
Given the high option price volatility do you guys think it is worth while to cover some Jan 2019 calls now and re-buy them tomorrow. If we are overall flat, down or slightly up I would imagine I'd be able to buy them at a cheaper price. What do yo think?

Reactions: neroden
Three years ago, I was a Camry driver who upgraded to a Model S. Had the Model 3 LR been available at the time, I would have upgraded a year earlier. In my view, Camry owners do not drive a $25k car because they can't afford more; they just don't see any other car worth paying more for. Then Tesla comes around. Camry drivers are value seekers, not swayed merely by sticker price. I also believe that for many the LR is a better value than the SR, well worth the price differential. So from my own personal experience, I think there is huge potential to convert Camry owners to Model 3, both LR and SR version.
It worked that way with Prius owners buying a Model S.
Robin

Auto loans don’t take into account the savings one might get from buying electricity instead of gasoline and the savings vary a lot from one part of the country to the next.

Similarly banks don’t underwrite auto loans based on tax incentives as far as I know.

Typical overextended consumer will buy a car that is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 their annual salary.

That still puts $50K car out of reach for many.

I do think that when $35K version arrives in volume next year it will take a lot of sales from the non luxury segment, Accord, Camry, Maxima, Prius.
Considering how much people spend on pickups and SUVs, sales of a lightly equipped Model 3 should be brisk.

In my view, Camry owners do not drive a $25k car because they can't afford more; they just don't see any other car worth paying more for. Then Tesla comes around. Camry drivers are value seekers, not swayed merely by sticker price.

In my view that is no more than 20% of Camry owners and 15% of Accord owners.

And lets remember at some point there will be significant Model 3 exports. Not all the sales going forward in 2019 will stack up against US sales of Camry and Accord.

And lets remember at some point there will be significant Model 3 exports. Not all the sales going forward in 2019 will stack up against US sales of Camry and Accord.

I think you are right. While there are surely Camry owners who could buy a Mercedes E class or BMW 7 series if they wanted to that is probably a small fraction of owners.

Most people who buy a Camry purchase one because it’s the best value for dollar car they can afford.

My previous director purchased one. Even though he could have purchased a $60K+ car it would have been a real stretch for him and he ultimately picked the least expensive new car with a warranty that would get the job done.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

Sure, but if the Model 3 is able to peel off 10% of Camry, Accord, and many other midsize sedans, that is a huge chunk of demand beyond the premium segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.