Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the off chance you really are just misinformed on US taxes, the opposite is true. Not only does the US upper class pay the overwhelming majority of the taxes, the US tax system is one of the most progressive in the world:

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-least/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ef8af537c0cf

American taxes are unusually progressive. Government spending is not

The fact that so many people think this isn't the case is testimony to the power of the media to control the narrative.
I noted the 2013 date. Tax codes have changed considerably. There’s no doubt we spend revenues regressively, including a big share to the military.

BMW's i4 Electric Vehicle Should Give Tesla a Run for Its Money

So .... here comes the competition with a car that won't be out till 2020? Add to that we have no idea what the actual specs are or what it will look like BUT as "The Street" says should give Tesla a run for it's money. Give me a break .... EVERYONE should email this writer and let him know what a moronic story and premise this actually is ... IF it was already spec'd out with a price and street date and compared favorably then he would have something to write about.

Sheesh ... makes me want to buy MORE TSLA ...

Cheers to the longs.
I’m noting a marked weakness in arguments being peddled by the FUD public relations machine. Good news for the longs.

Must control alpha, and the long tail to 0. Pareto distribution - Wikipedia

I don't see why in this day an age the conversation must be at a 3rd grade level. With all this student loan debt, one would assume most people would have taken probability/statistics and should be able to meaningfully understand distributions.
KarenRei is absolutely correct: the political concern is about the top 1% and beyond.

"Control[ling] alpha" is absolute nonsense. You want to suggest that you know a thing or two about statistics using such language, but it is obvious to this statistician that you have not a clue what you are talking about. Alpha relates to statistical hypothesis testing which not at all relevant to the discussion of extremes of income distribution.

Last edited:
KarenRei is absolutely correct: the political concern is about the top 1% and beyond.

"Control[ling] alpha" is absolute nonsense. You want to suggest that you know a thing or two about statistics using such language, but it is obvious to this statistician that you have not a clue what you are talking about. Alpha relates to statistical hypothesis testing which not at all relevant to the discussion of extremes income distribution.

Wrong alpha. Try the link. Also I wasn't disagreeing with KarenRei.

First resistance level is at $348. Let's see what happens.
I don't really see this "resistance" at $348. Certainly $345.5 is our close bogey, but anything we've done above that IMHO is just momentum around the $345.5 area. Let's get a solid close and STICK above there and we can open up $355 as the next target of resistance.

Its why I thought the this week $350 was an easy sell at 7.2$. (by the way I'm NOT buying those from anyone if anyone thinks that)

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
Anyone want to unpack the WSJ and now other articles denouncing the Q3 ZEV credits on the 10-Q?
Do we need to? This is fantastic news. They are claiming $52 million in ZEV credits is the only reason Tesla is making money. Is it that UBS report that included GHG and CAFE - the regulatory credits that aren't going anywhere? Even without those Tesla is not only slightly profitable (I think) but still FCF+ last quarter. If this is the best argument the bears can come up with it is over...

Wrong alpha. Try the link. Also I wasn't disagreeing with KarenRei.
What exactly do you mean by "control alpha" then? If you are speaking of alpha as a parameter of distribution and not hypothesis testing, then it is ambiguous what you mean to "control." As a parameter, alpha simply describes a distribution. It is not something to be controlled.

The value of extreme value distributions is that is gives us a way to analyze the extremes such as the 0.01% tail of distribution. I actually do this work as a statistician. I am aware of nothing in extreme value theory that would suggest that on must focus on the 10% tail and ignore the other tails. Where one places the focus of analysis is entirely up to the aims of the analysis.

So I am reacting to your awkward use of technical language that seemed to be used as an insult to others on this this list. Who exactly were you suggesting had a third grade grasp of statistics?

Selling weekly $350 calls at 7.25$ looks like pretty decent RR

Noob here. Can you elaborate please. My total knowledge of calls comes from watching a couple of badly made vids. These are my gleanings:

They come in batches of 100, so min buy is $725.
You win if price reaches $357.25 before expired.
For every dollar above that you make $100, so $364.50 to double your money. Below $350 you lose the lot.

When does the call at that price expire? Exactly one week to the minute after buy?
Have I got it right?

Noob here. Can you elaborate please. My total knowledge of calls comes from watching a couple of badly made vids. These are my gleanings:

They come in batches of 100, so min buy is $725.
You win if price reaches $357.25 before expired.
For every dollar above that you make $100, so $364.50 to double your money. Below $350 you lose the lot.

When does the call at that price expire? Exactly one week to the minute after buy?
Have I got it right?
He is on the sell side i.e. short call option. That means time work in his favor and if tsla closes below $350 at expiration he collects full $7.25 premium.

I wouldn't suggest selling uncovered calls though. TSLA can run up rather quickly and you may get a margin call. Selling covered calls however has very well defined risk where you just capped your potential upside i.e. forced to sell your TSLA shares at strike price if TSLA goes way above the strike price.

He is on the sell side i.e. short call option. That means time work in his favor and if tsla closes below $350 at expiration he collects full $7.25 premium.

I wouldn't suggest selling uncovered calls though. TSLA can run up rather quickly and you may get a margin call. Selling covered calls however has very well defined risk where you just capped your potential upside i.e. forced to sell your TSLA shares at strike price if TSLA goes way above the strike price.

So I described the person he sells that call option to?

Status
Not open for further replies.