Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe there is any conspiracy here. The reason the stock is dropping is because the company didn't reaffirm profitability in their update.The market doesn't care how many cars they made unless they were profitable. Also, the remarks about China were unusual and could foreshadow some difficulties that will become evident at the earnings call. Once these questions resolved, I believe the share price will go up. But right now, too much is still unknown. Think about it. What do you want to buy the stock now, only to find out that the company did not mean its goal of profitability in one month?

i can agree with the stock dropping, because of a lack of confirmation on profitability. but you can blame that on the SEC lawsuit. notice how threadbare the q3 delivery report was? only deliveries were reported, and nothing else. TSLA has taken the lawsuit to heart, and us long term holders should too. don't try to trade this, and just let the deliveries and earnings calls speak for themselves.

"The fact the the firm is financially self sustaining" Can you please link your reference(s) to this statement? None of us are seeing this "fact" yet. Neither does the broader market either.

Your failure to see that Tesla is financially self-sustaining shows that you don't understand financial analysis. At all.

It's very simple. In an economies of scale business, there are fixed costs.

You make money on each car you sell. In order to make a profit, you must sell enough cars to cover your fixed costs.

If you sell fewer cars than that each month, you make a loss. If you sell more, you make a profit. This makes the firm financially self-sustaining.

It is straightforward to calculate how many cars Tesla needed to sell each month to make a profit. They are making more than that number of cars now.

The number of cars needed could have been predicted before the company was founded, and in fact many of us did calculate it back then, and it hasn't changed.

down, down, down... almost no resistance.
Mandatory morning dip. Bulls have learned to buy after the MMD, since it's so predictable.

If it keeps going down all day, this indicates more aggressive market manipulation.

I'm not currently in a position to buy more, but if this keeps up long enough, I will. So will many many others.

284!!!
TSLA should be renamed "Tiger" - a suppressed caged tiger that is gonna do some damage when it escapes:
upload_2018-10-4_15-44-30.jpeg

Your failure to see that Tesla is financially self-sustaining shows that you don't understand financial analysis. At all.

It's very simple. In an economies of scale business, there are fixed costs.

You make money on each car you sell. In order to make a profit, you must sell enough cars to cover your fixed costs.

If you sell fewer cars than that each month, you make a loss. If you sell more, you make a profit. This makes the firm financially self-sustaining.

It is straightforward to calculate how many cars Tesla needed to sell each month to make a profit. They are making more than that number of cars now.

The number of cars needed could have been predicted before the company was founded, and in fact many of us did calculate it back then, and it hasn't changed.
You seem to be ignoring simple math. Until the cash balance (excluding customer deposits) stops declining each quarter (absent new loans or equity raises) the company is NOT self-sustaining. So the FACT is Tesla is not yet a self-sustaining company. That may indeed change after we see the Q3 financials but as of today, from known data, Tesla is not yet "self-sustaining".

Simply selling more cars does not automatically translate to increased profits. In economics there is the Law of Diminishing Returns. What it means is that after a certain point increased sales actually hurt profits by pushing costs much higher.

I believe we could see this in the Q3 numbers. The extra staff, use of expensive enclosing shipping trailers, storage lots, lots of rejected units, etc. began reducing profitability at a point in Q3. The infrastructure at Tesla is not ready or capable of much more than it achieved in Q3 without large additional investments.

Last edited:
You seem to not understand simple math. Until the cash balance (excluding customer deposits) stops declining each quarter (absent new loans or equity raises) the company is NOT self-sustaining. So the FACT is Tesla is not yet a self-sustaining company. That may indeed change after we see the Q3 financials but as of today, from known data, Tesla is not yet "self-sustaining".

Investors with this mindset never make money. If you cannot see the future (let alone a few months into the future), you will only buy highs and sell lows as you react to news and real-time circumstances.

All these small dips are simply noise. The long-term vision of the company is clear. That thesis has not changed. The short-term is looking pretty awesome regardless of how many pessimists are shorting right now.

Well, that's just a further argument to buy Karenpilot. It will never engage if the driver is at all distracted. Of course, it'll never engage at all, but based on the way CR did their rankings, that only makes it lose marks in one category out of five ;)
Yeah, but I hear the nagging with that system is the WORST! ;)

Dan

True...except no one is Dr. Spock. Humans ALL are driven by emotions. Or to be more exact small changes in the chemical makeup of our brains to external stimuli.

Sorry to be pedantic, buy Dr. Benjamin Spock was the author of one of the most well-know books on child-care: https://www.amazon.com/Spocks-Baby-...ds=dr+spocks+baby+and+child+care+10th+edition

Mr. Spock, on the other hand, is a character from the science-fiction series, Star Trek, where he's well-know for a lack of human emotions and for acting "logically".

True...except no one is Dr. Spock. Humans ALL are driven by emotions. Or to be more exact small changes in the chemical makeup of our brains to external stimuli.

Dr. Spock?!?! Living with all the shorting and lies for years is one thing, but confusing the most famous/accomplished Vulcan in recent (well, future) memory with a discredited child care expert...

I think I'm going to have to delete my account.

I have wondered about this for a year. Do you have any references, or any other insights you can share regarding the contractors promises, and failure to deliver? Cheers!

No, I only have speculation to offer, based on how it was characterized in conference calls, the fact that Elon took responsibility, and the departure of the exec in charge shortly after it became public.

I believe the distrust in contractors and the scrubbing of barnacles was also, in part, motivated by this experience: Tesla almost got destroyed by a contractor, why pay a premium and outsource a core competency such as battery module assembly?

Another consequence was the purchase of Grohmann - never again does Elon want to rely on non-Tesla companies for the critical path of expansion. "Only the paranoid survive."

So IMO the most probable explanation for their battery module assembly line troubles in GF1 was a bog standard scenario: a software project bit by the 90% rule of software engineering: the first 90% of code accounts for 90% of project time, the remaining 10% accounts for the other 90%. Tesla noticed this too late, thus the ultimate responsibility was Tesla's.

Elon is probably also embarrassed about it, they did the impossible at SpaceX by creating a full avionics stack from grounds up using mostly commodity hardware and Linux, brought back rocket boosters from space (in a single piece) and then Tesla's Alien Dreadnought gets bitten by the fricking 90/90 rule?? Ouch ...

Here is how I think next months will play out for Tesla

Full $7500.00 credit available until end of the year, I do not see demand slo
Very interesting movement. It seems that the market chatter that's clouding the results are as follows:

- CR testing of Cadillacs System trumping Tesla's AP (which is total BS) is discounting the price of autonomous driving
- Aluminum Prices Increases as well as Cobalt (even though this doesn't affect Tesla too much the headlines will affect algo's as well as traders who only read headlines)
- Lawsuit of some employees against Tesla (standard fare but because it's Tesla it's being widely reported)

This is all I can see. It looks like an average volume day with just a ton of noise. There's no catalyst per se and we are in a quiet period so I'd expect this gyration until earnings.

Other company can claim their Level 2 Autopilots is better, May be true at the moment but Tesla only use few available resources (Camera) for current Autopilot, Once higher version of software comes out they will leap frog everyone else.

As for full Autonomy, Tesla approach is totally different from Waynmo and GM cruise, Tesla don’t want to go geo- fencing Route.

Status
Not open for further replies.