Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously! We should have a contest to see who can best guess the FUD!
They are running out of topics.

Workplace safety concerns? Busted. Worst finding from CALOSHA was a misplaced extension cord.
High rates of production scrap? Never even hit the bottom line.
SEC investigation? Wrapped, no real impact, and no impact to the bottom line.
Lawsuits related to Model 3 production and share price? Tossed out by the judge.
Elon is eccentric? So f'ing what. The dude delivers.
Parking lots full of unsold cars? Oh right, they all got sold.
Can't make money selling cars? Ha!

The only thing I see left in the quiver for shorts to grab is another push on the DOJ story. But that's a straw, not an arrow.

I can't believe that the S&P rules are not more straightforward. I thought June 2019 was almost certain. This is surely the only thing that will kick out the shorts without doubt. I don't like the the idea that we are gonna beholden to a committee made up from the establishment. Might as well ask the SEC if we can gain membership? I'm sure Elon will tweet on the subject to make things right....

You might not like it, but that's how the S&P 500 works. It's the creation of a private company, not a governmental entity, and they decide what's in and out. You and the market decide whether their criteria is useful to you in your investing decision making process. The government can't help (and isn't that the start of a meme - "hi, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help" :)).

Anyway, my own view on things is that I LIKE that it's a committee decision. The way I look at it - if I were on the S&P 500 committee, and I want my index to be as relevant as possible to as big of an investor community as possible (and therefore we get licensing fees from funds tracking the index, or I assume that they do), then do I want TSLA to be in or out of the index?

H'mm - I'm thinking IN. And I'm thinking I want to get TSLA into the index as soon as I can say they've met the criteria with a straight face and probably not hear laughter from the crowd.

One profitable quarter is probably too soon. But if Q4 is bigly profitable and the sum of the previous 4 quarters is really close to break even, then I might lean on the "should" in the inclusion criteria, the fact that the trajectory is for big profitability in the quarters to come, and add TSLA as soon as Q4 earnings are announced.

Or maybe I have to wait for Q1 '19 earnings are announced and TSLA is close or better than break even.

In short - I think the S&P 500 wants TSLA in the index as soon as possible, and they're going to be interpreting the criteria as generously as they need to get it there. Love that "should".

(To be clear, second paragraph on down is ALL MY OPINION. I've got no external evidence to suggest I'm right.)

Workplace safety concerns? Busted. Worst finding from CALOSHA was a misplaced extension cord.
Lawsuits related to Model 3 production and share price? Tossed out by the judge.

The only thing I see left in the quiver for shorts to grab is another push on the DOJ story. But that's a straw, not an arrow.
That may be true until they unveil/start producing Model Y. Then the cycle repeats.
"Tesla won't be able to produce the Model Y".
"Ok, but they can't make it at a profit".
"Ok, they can make a profit but they can't ramp production".
Replace with Model Y with the Semi or pickup. This was true for Model S, then repeated for Model X, again with Model 3. I don't believe it will be different with coming models.

That may be true until they unveil/start producing Model Y. Then the cycle repeats.
"Tesla won't be able to produce the Model Y".
"Ok, but they can't make it at a profit".
"Ok, they can make a profit but they can't ramp production".
Replace with Model Y with the Semi or pickup. This was true for Model S, then repeated for Model X, again with Model 3. I don't believe it will be different with coming models.

*hopefully* the Y won’t be another “bet the company” move(Elon has indicated there won’t be any more of those), so that should be tempered. Sure, that particular car won’t be making money for a little bit, but as long as the company as a whole makes profits, that attack shouldn’t be nearly as effective.

Given that during the conference call they stated that they're at 20 GWh/yr today, going to 35 GWh/yr (I assume that's what you mean) by March would be awesome (roughly a doubling in six months), esp. given that Giga already makes half of the world's EV batteries. People talk about how Moore's law is the benchmark for a fast scaleup (in that case, doubling the number of transistors per unit area every 2 years). The scaleup rate at Giga puts Moore's law to shame.
Mores law talks more about completely and efficiency of chips. Batteries improve by about 6% per year.

Comparing battery production against the number of units of chips Intel kicks out of their factories would be a better comparison.

Reactions: Matias
AFAIK, rest of the World didn't even receive the updated maps yet, I certainly haven't, and this is what, one year after they rolled-out in the USA. I would assume V9 is reliant on these maps and I don't see it coming to use very soon. Which is annoying to say the least.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe it's taking extra time to map things over there, and I don't think we want errors on something like this.

My maps failed to load several times in a row (for weeks) then finally succeeded a few days ago. Then I updated to 40.1 (or something like that) after a visit to the shop, and next day I got 42.2 "naturally" through WIFI.

Wishing you maps in Germany...

Reactions: Artful Dodger

Someone from the SEC is going to insult Elon's mom over Twitter.

I'll load up on short term puts when that happens. :D

One profitable quarter is probably too soon. But if Q4 is bigly profitable and the sum of the previous 4 quarters is really close to break even, then I might lean on the "should" in the inclusion criteria, the fact that the trajectory is for big profitability in the quarters to come, and add TSLA as soon as Q4 earnings are announced.

I think that the inclusion of Tesla could be influenced by IBM buying RedHat. If the sale goes through and completes before Tesla meets their normal criteria they may decide to add Tesla early while they are removing RedHat. (To reduce the churn of having to remove something else later when adding Tesla.)

So my hope is that the RedHat sale goes through about the same time as Tesla releases the Q4 report.

The first 4 vehicles were fundamentally different and bet the company moves.

As long as falcon wing doors are not on the Model Y, then Model Y production is not fundamentally different than Model 3.

Roadster. First long range ulta premium EV.

Model S First long range premium EV.

Model X. Can Tesla manufacture falcon wing doors at scale profitably?

Model 3. Can Tesla mass manufacture an entry level luxury car profitably?

Model Y shouldn't be can Tesla mass manufacture an entry level luxury car with Falcon Wing doors profitably. It should a Model 3 with slightly different silhouette.

Shorts can make disingenuous arguments but the market won't care.

Semi and Pickup are not bet the company projects once SEXY is successful.

They can be failures and the company can still move forward. But I very much doubt they will be failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.