Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering buying more Call options if TSLA drops to 320-325 tmw. If not, holding.

Added dry powder to my account for 30 more stocks. Will start buying on weakness under 330.

It’s not bad being in a situation where both directions are good: lower means I can add to my position, higher means the value of my current position improves.

Have been in that situation before around 260. Wish I had bought more then. But hindsight is always 20/20.

For swing trading funds, it seems unlikely TSLA will go up much more while the market drops or remains volatile, but who knows. Some consolidation is healthy here anyway. It seems to be more about waiting for the market to settle down than anything else now. TSLA so far passed today's test of the lower $330s. It could be testing the lower $320s soon. My typical approach of leveraging up once TSLA has dropped about 20% from a recent high doesn't seem likely this time. It seems too strong to be likely to drop that far. A 10% drop from the $357 high to $321 is more realistic. I have a hard time seeing the current overall market uncertainty resolving soon. Two things could change that, but they seem unlikely. The Fed could back back off on the hikes. The trade war with China could get resolved. I don't think either of those are good short term bets.

NB unused according to white people. OTOH, finding 10,000 square miles of well-illuminated rooftops would probably be quite easy, with no need to muddle up the Outback.

Edit: can't type
True, I was making an assumption on the unused comment. I just got to thinking that if there was a place that is well suited to this type of arrangement on a Nationwide scale, it would be hard to find a better location than Australia. May never come to pass, but I think it's worth exploring.

Reactions: Off Shore
NB unused according to white people. OTOH, finding 10,000 square miles of well-illuminated rooftops would probably be quite easy, with no need to muddle up the Outback.

Edit: can't type

Most of the land is in private hands. It would also be incredibly easy to buy 100sq km once you are more than around 500kms west of Sydney.

This absolute unit was farming over 2000 sq km.

WA’s largest farming business on the market

The reason for high property taxes is low income taxes.

The states with low property taxes and low income taxes are, frankly, on a road to bankruptcy. Wyoming's going to be the first; it's depending on oil and coal extraction revenue to balance its budget.

Washington State is the weird one; it's been coasting on the economic boom from Microsoft and the tech business, and will be in serious trouble if there's a local bust.

Most of the other "low tax" states are engaged in the suburban land development pyramid scheme, and this takes a while to blow up; Florida has had it blow up several times, though. This is a bit more complicated to explain, but basically new development is funded by incoming people with no thought to long-term maintenance funding. They therefore have artificially low taxes. The state and cities engage in deferred maintenance. After a while, they end up with collapsing roads, sewers, electric lines, etc., and need to raise some sort of taxes in order to repair them. This is why the states with older large cities tend to have significant taxes; they have to repair that 100-year-old infrastructure. This is particularly difficult if the population is shrinking (perhaps because people are going to new places with artificially low, doesn't-cover-maintenance tax rates), and has put Michigan in a very difficult position. The same thing will catch up with Indiana; it's just a matter of time.
Long term doesn't matter for Florida though, most of it will be underwater.

On this down day, I have a notion bouncing around in my head that might be more doable now that the new Chair is an Aussie. Remember a little over a year ago when Elon said the entire United States could be powered by solar panels 100 Mi by 100 Mi square plus a square mile worth of batteries. I wonder what it would take to power Australia? Considerably less than that I would think. And they certainly have enough outback out there in the middle of the continent that is basically unused scab land. As the majority of their population centers are around the coasts, I think the land down under would be a great spot to experiment with powering an entire continent/nation via renewable solar power. What do you all think?

The grid in Oz seems it's less redundant than in California (and SCE, PG, and SRE are cratering for fear they were the ignition sources for wildfires.)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and wipster
My broker (UPI) news feed says VW BOUGHT enough batteries for 50M cars, economy of scale enough to surpass others.

How can anyone buying batteries beat those that make them?

Remember the last time VW said it was spending 50B on batteries? Recycled news to move the market. Or are we saying they're now spending 100B?
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

The grid in Oz seems it's less redundant than in California (and SCE, PG, and SRE are cratering for fear they were the ignition sources for wildfires.)
Probably true, but this whole concept is not to think of what is, but what can be. The Australian experience with Powerpaks has exceeded their expectations and I just can't help thinking that the Australian continent would be the perfect spot for proof of concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.